Galveston hotels... what's your latest experience?

jeffdal

Whew! The prices are high and the reviews are bad. Looking for Friday, October 19 and sailing out Saturday the 20th. I've stayed at Holiday Inn Seawall and the Hilton. I have also stayed in Pasadena the night before the cruise. The Comfort Inn is $217 with tax.

What has been your latest choice of hotel?

I thought of Red Roof, Beachcomber, Inn at Waterpark, etc but the reviews are bad.

I'm looking at the following:

Marriott's Towneplace Suites Galveston

$178 with tax

Days Inn Galveston

$133 with tax

Fairfield Inn (in Pasadena) -- we stayed here last cruise.. about 45 mins away

$133 with tax

Edited by jeffdal

We stayed 1 night at the Days Inn on Seawall Blvd in Galveston on 4/7/18. Nothing great for sure but it met the needs for a one night stay. Room was great and the breakfast was good. The only downside was the location which is way out on 87th street. We did walk down the 81st where we could catch the trolley which took us into town. I would stay there again. We took a uber to ship morning of.

Doubletree Hobby Airport. Not the greatest neighborhood, but the hotel had a restaurant and a bar and was less than an hour from port. Rooms to be had at about $120. (This year doing an Air BnB in Galveston for less than $200)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

$133 with tax

That intersection and the one just north have exploded with new growth in businesses and hotels and three more are under construction. The commute down to Galveston from there is unhindered at posted speeds and above.

There is an Olive Garden, Johnny Tamalies, Bullritos, Popeyes, Napoli Italian, Little Tokyo, Jimmy Changas, Cheddars and five brand new ones at Vista and Beltway 8. Plus, the Academy is literally across the street in case you forgot something.

If I didn't live less than 15 min from there I'd stay at one of those hotels in heartbeat.

Doubletree Hobby Airport. Not the greatest neighborhood, but the hotel had a restaurant and a bar and was less than an hour from port. Rooms to be had at about $120. (This year doing an Air BnB in Galveston for less than $200)

So many choices closer to the port just south of the Beltway. The hotel you mention has a serious problem with vehicle break ins and theft. Google the crime rate for that zip code. It's horrendous.

You might consider checking the availability at the Lost Bayou Bed & Breakfast. We stayed there 3 years ago and are staying again in August. Great property and they offer free parking to cruise guests for the week of the cruise at the secured lot by the train museum. They have great reviews on TripAdvisor and the owner, Dave, is awesome. They have a nice full breakfast in the morning and also have a room with snacks and drinks available 24/7. You have to book with them directly.

Whew! The prices are high and the reviews are bad. Looking for Friday, October 19 and sailing out Saturday the 20th. I've stayed at Holiday Inn Seawall and the Hilton. I have also stayed in Pasadena the night before the cruise. The Comfort Inn is $217 with tax.

I thought of Red Roof, Beachcomber, Inn at Waterpark, etc but the reviews are bad.

$178 with tax

Days Inn Galveston

$133 with tax

$133 with tax

I would recommend Moody Gardens for $164

Inn at the Waterpark isn't that bad. I've stayed there before when visiting Schlitterbahn which is right next door. They have a cruise ship package. The parking is covered and request to have a room in the *newer* building. They have putt-putt on site, no additional fee.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from Galveston, we stayed at Springhill Suites on Broadway with Marriott points. Clean hotel, decent room, OK breakfast, (hotel was fully booked so dining area was crowded and they ran out of a lot of food) but NOTHING is within walking distance.

Uber is easy to use (download the app if you don't already have it). We took an Uber to the Galveston pier, cost $8. Uber to the port was $16 because of traffic.

We stayed at Days Inn for our last 2 cruises. It is nice and the rate was great because we booked as soon as we could. As someone else said, there is not much in the area but we had a car so we could go wherever we wanted.

Considering the rate at other places it was wonderful. Hope you find something you like at a decent rate.

Have a wonderful cruise!

$178 with tax

Days Inn Galveston

$133 with tax

$133 with tax

I highly recommend the Kemah Boardwalk Inn in Kemah ,a short distancefrom Galveston.

I highly recommend the Kemah Boardwalk Inn in Kemah ,a short distancefrom Galveston.

It's a 45 min ride from there to here in Galveston, and the rates are listed for summer at $200 an up. The don't have dining facilities either.

Kemah is a madhouse in the summer, and while a fun place to visit, it's crowded. Getting closer to Galveston makes sense, with several new hotels being built or refurbished after Harvey, it's a competitive market.

It's a 45 min ride from there to here in Galveston, and the rates are listed for summer at $200 an up. The don't have dining facilities either.

Kemah is a madhouse in the summer, and while a fun place to visit, it's crowded. Getting closer to Galveston makes sense, with several new hotels being built or refurbished after Harvey, it's a competitive market.

I have stayed at the Kemah Boardwalk twice but never in the summer .