Sailing in warmer climates with COPD

I would love to take my mom on a cruise, and since she doesn’t want to fly, we would probably depart from Charleston, SC port.

She has COPD and is on oxygen 24/7. At home, she uses a constant flow machine. When we run errands, she takes a portable tank and keeps it on 2. She uses a wheelchair, but if she gets out of breath, she changes the setting to constant flow for a short time before moving it back to the 2 setting. On the 2 setting, her tank will last for hours.

She has tried an oxygen concentrator, but it only gives a puff of air when she breathes, and she can’t handle that.

My questions for those of you who may have COPD or who have traveled with others using oxygen are 1) if she travels to a much warmer climate, will she find it harder to breathe? And 2) how hard is it to travel with oxygen tanks (assuming that’s allowed) and finding a rental source while on the trip?

Any other COPD tips for travelers is much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
Nevermind, I found the disabled cruising forum and found some answers. I can't figure out how to delete this whole post/thread.

I am taking my mom and she also has the same challenge. I am glad you could not delete because I didn't realize there was a disabled cruising forum. Thank you for posting.