Silver Muse Post Cruise Hotel in Venice?

Peanutbrittle56

Hello All,

We will be taking a highly anticipated cruise on Silver Muse in August from Rome to Venice. My question is: Has anyone used Silversea for the post-cruise Hotel option? Particularly the Grande Hotel Bauer Il Palazzo in Venice? What are your thoughts on the reliability of Silversea with this transfer option. Do you have any thoughts on the Bauer Palazzo? This cruise will hopefully replace our less than favorable memory of our Silver Cloud cruise 4 years ago.

Thanks in advance to all of you who are so kind to reply.

Peanutbrittle

I am staying at The Bauer in July pre-cruise.........:D......I will be happy to give you my opinion of it after I return home. I booked it directly through the hotel's website.

I nearly always book hotels directly. But in some rare cases over the years I have booked through the cruise line to enjoy the seamless transfer and to avoid having to negotiate touts, taxi drivers, money changers, etc. I should think that Venice might be one case where the cruise line provided transfer would be well worth the additional expense. Also, included breakfast, etc.

I can't speak to booking this hotel through Silversea, but I have stayed twice at the Bauer Il Palazzo in Venice -- most recently last year after a Silversea cruise. My husband and I love this hotel. We booked the same room both times -- it was overlooking the Grand Canal with a lovely terrace right on the canal. The location is fantastic -- easy walking distance to St. Mark's Square, and walking distance to many other sights. Good breakfast provided in a room that also has beautiful views. I would highly recommend this hotel. Be sure that you are booking the Il Palazzo side of the hotel -- it is the older side in what was originally a palazzo, and not on the newer side of the Bauer, which I think doesn't really have a lot of charm.

Beautiful hotel. Venice is one of the very few places where I would, and have, booked thru SS. There’s an expression I love : “Feed the Canary another seed”. When you figure in how much the cruise will be costing, sometimes it makes sense to book an easy, and always very nice hotel. Definitely costs more, but sometimes....

Beautiful hotel. Venice is one of the very few places where I would, and have, booked thru SS. There’s an expression I love : “Feed the Canary another seed”. When you figure in how much the cruise will be costing, sometimes it makes sense to book an easy, and always very nice hotel. Definitely costs more, but sometimes....

Could you please finish that last sentence? Sometimes I like to throw money away?

I am staying at The Bauer in July pre-cruise.........:D......I will be happy to give you my opinion of it after I return home. I booked it directly through the hotel's website.

I would so welcome your review/opinion of The Bauer. I would love to know about size of rooms and overall ambiance. Also interested in the concierge and suggestions for special tours.

Thank you!

I can't speak to booking this hotel through Silversea, but I have stayed twice at the Bauer Il Palazzo in Venice -- most recently last year after a Silversea cruise. My husband and I love this hotel. We booked the same room both times -- it was overlooking the Grand Canal with a lovely terrace right on the canal. The location is fantastic -- easy walking distance to St. Mark's Square, and walking distance to many other sights. Good breakfast provided in a room that also has beautiful views. I would highly recommend this hotel. Be sure that you are booking the Il Palazzo side of the hotel -- it is the older side in what was originally a palazzo, and not on the newer side of the Bauer, which I think doesn't really have a lot of charm.

Lovely, Sweetpea, thank you for this! Would you care to share the room number that you have booked twice? I didn't know there was such a difference between the two sides of the hotel.

Lovely, Sweetpea, thank you for this! Would you care to share the room number that you have booked twice? I didn't know there was such a difference between the two sides of the hotel.

We had Room 507. It's a very small room, but we loved having the terrace with small table and 2 chairs (and a retractable awning) directly on the Grand Canal. We sat out there quite a bit. I actually hadn't remembered the room number from our first visit many years before, but I emailed the hotel and they were able to locate it. In fact I would suggest emailing the hotel to discuss rooms and your desires. They are very helpful, and I expect would be able to help with your room choice.

Three years ago, we stayed at the sister hotel to this, The Bauer Palladio and Spa on the Guidecca, right next door to The Cipriani. Would hightly recommend it. The hotel is a large, very atmospheric 16th Century former Convent, absolutely beautiful. It has a lovely garden and terrace at the back. No pool, but some loungers for sunbathing in the garden. No balconies to the rooms, that I am aware of, but we had a comfortable room overlooking the breakfast/dinner terrace, with a modern, very decent bathroom. There is a regular shuttle back and forth accross from this hotel to the Bauer Palazzo. We only saw the lobby of the Bauer Palazzo, which looks very nice, but be aware that the lobby is modern, so not very atmospheric, if that is important - can't speak for the rooms. Rates (ours was a great deal via Lastminute.com) at the Bauer Palladio are often better because it is a little further from the centre , but we didn't find it a problem and we really enjoyed our stay there - and Guidecca. In addition, there is a Vaporetto stop only about a 6/7 minute walk from the hotel. We have also stayed on Guidecca at the Hilton - also a good choice - and one of the best breakfasts I've ever seen!

Three years ago, we stayed at the sister hotel to this, The Bauer Palladio and Spa on the Guidecca, right next door to The Cipriani. Would hightly recommend it. The hotel is a large, very atmospheric 16th Century former Convent, absolutely beautiful. It has a lovely garden and terrace at the back. No pool, but some loungers for sunbathing in the garden. No balconies to the rooms, that I am aware of, but we had a comfortable room overlooking the breakfast/dinner terrace, with a modern, very decent bathroom. There is a regular shuttle back and forth accross from this hotel to the Bauer Palazzo. We only saw the lobby of the Bauer Palazzo, which looks very nice, but be aware that the lobby is modern, so not very atmospheric, if that is important - can't speak for the rooms. Rates (ours was a great deal via Lastminute.com) at the Bauer Palladio are often better because it is a little further from the centre , but we didn't find it a problem and we really enjoyed our stay there - and Guidecca. In addition, there is a Vaporetto stop only about a 6/7 minute walk from the hotel. We have also stayed on Guidecca at the Hilton - also a good choice - and one of the best breakfasts I've ever seen!

Just a note -- you mention that the lobby of the Bauer Palazzo is modern. That is actually not the lobby of the Palazzo part. The Il Palazzo lobby is small and not "modern" in that sense at all -- it is consistent with being in a palazzo. There is a modern lobby in the modern Bauer hotel that is next door -- the hotels are physically connected, but are essentially operated separately.

Just a note -- you mention that the lobby of the Bauer Palazzo is modern. That is actually not the lobby of the Palazzo part. The Il Palazzo lobby is small and not "modern" in that sense at all -- it is consistent with being in a palazzo. There is a modern lobby in the modern Bauer hotel that is next door -- the hotels are physically connected, but are essentially operated separately.

Good to know - we only walked through the lobby to get to and from the tender, so never noticed the other part.

We had Room 507. It's a very small room, but we loved having the terrace with small table and 2 chairs (and a retractable awning) directly on the Grand Canal. We sat out there quite a bit. I actually hadn't remembered the room number from our first visit many years before, but I emailed the hotel and they were able to locate it. In fact I would suggest emailing the hotel to discuss rooms and your desires. They are very helpful, and I expect would be able to help with your room choice.

Thank you so much, I think I will take your suggestion and email them directly.

I nearly always book hotels directly. But in some rare cases over the years I have booked through the cruise line to enjoy the seamless transfer and to avoid having to negotiate touts, taxi drivers, money changers, etc. I should think that Venice might be one case where the cruise line provided transfer would be well worth the additional expense. Also, included breakfast, etc.

You may have a point in this particular case, though in most cases, booking through the cruise line can cost twice as much as booking directly yourself!;)

We stayed at the Ai Cavalieri in 2016. It was a fabulous hotel and our balcony looked right at the bell tower in Piazza San Marco. We arranged a transfer from the Spirit with the hotel and the water taxi brought us right to the canal side door. It’s a few blocks away from the madding crowds and that was definitely part of the appeal. Getting lost in Venice was part of the fun, seeing the local markets and getting cicetti in a local establishment was a great experience.