AC outlets

Magnum60

Here's a question that came up the other day while talking to my son-in-law who recently was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. He asked if there were AC outlets near the night tables on ships in the Azamara fleet (he's looking at an Azamara Med cruise next summer). Seemed like a good question to me because if any cruise ship passenger has been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea (it seems that everyone I've talked to over 40 that's had an overnight Sleep Apnea lab test fails and then gets to buy a very expensive air pump with a hose connected mask that makes them look like a scuba diver instead of a person getting ready to go to bed) the location of a nearby AC power source to power the contraption would be useful information.

Here's a question that came up the other day while talking to my son-in-law who recently was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. He asked if there were AC outlets near the night tables on ships in the Azamara fleet (he's looking at an Azamara Med cruise next summer). Seemed like a good question to me because if any cruise ship passenger has been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea (it seems that everyone I've talked to over 40 that's had an overnight Sleep Apnea lab test fails and then gets to buy a very expensive air pump with a hose connected mask that makes them look like a scuba diver instead of a person getting ready to go to bed) the location of a nearby AC power source to power the contraption would be useful information.

Have Sleep Apnia as well and always carry an 18' extension cord for these situations as not always a plug near the bed. Many cruise lines will install the cord and provide one. Better for them to do it as they then tape the cord to the floor to avoid tripping. Should not be a problem.

Kind'a thought an extension cord was the only option for him. I can't remember any ship (old or new) that I've sailed on that typically had AC outlets anywhere other than on or near the writing desk (Here's a post script: the Windstar Motor Yachts have an extra AC outlet behind their cabinet mounted TVs that come in handy for phone and camera chargers ;p).

Before the ships were reimagined there were bedside table lights that were plugged in behind and underneath the bed. I would just pull one of the plugs out to free up the socket. I suspect, although not sure, that they were removed, but they might still be there, but out of use. The ships now have an integrated bedside light incorporated in the headboard along with a USB power socket underneath which is what I use to keep the iPad charged (the reason I crawled around under the bed before!).

Phil

You can fill in a form for special needs online on the Azamara web site a few weeks before departure.

A extension and a jug of distilled water will be waiting for you in the room or will deliver the first evening by the room attendant.

There is an electrical outlet behind one of the nightstand ( I used it for my humidifier),the extension can be pulled under the bed if you choose to set up your CPap on the other side of the bed.

You want to keep the extension out of the way to the bathroom.

You will have to bring small containers of the CPap cleaning products recommended by your MD ( hypoallergenic dish sop and white vinegar work well.

We have travel with Azamara for the last 10 years and my husband who uses a CPap for more than 15 years never had a problem onboard.

Micheline

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband did one of those sleep studies and, yes, he was diagnosed with sleep apnea. He told the doctor who was giving him the sales pitch for the machine that he would never get to sleep with that mask on.

After a bit of an argument, the doctor told him that there is a dental device, but he said they don’t work. He went to the dentist - you have to find one that makes them. Not all dentists do.

He got it and works like a dream - pun intended [emoji12]. After listening to him snore forever, I was able to get rid of my earplugs! We both get a good nights sleep. It’s so much easier to travel with. It’s no more trouble than dentures. There is a case that doubles as a soaker for cleaning, and the cleaner comes in small packets.

He’s very happy with it.

Kind'a thought an extension cord was the only option for him. I can't remember any ship (old or new) that I've sailed on that typically had AC outlets anywhere other than on or near the writing desk (Here's a post script: the Windstar Motor Yachts have an extra AC outlet behind their cabinet mounted TVs that come in handy for phone and camera chargers ;p).

Viking ships - both river and ocean have a European plug, a US plug and a USB port at the back of each nightstand. They also have all three by the desk.

If there is a power outlet behind one of the nightstands, the onboard (or land based) staff don't know about it. My partner uses a CPAP machine and we let Azamara know in advance. The cabin steward supplied an extension lead which was taped to the carpet. Unsightly and not particularly safe.

If there is a power outlet behind one of the nightstands, the onboard (or land based) staff don't know about it. My partner uses a CPAP machine and we let Azamara know in advance. The cabin steward supplied an extension lead which was taped to the carpet. Unsightly and not particularly safe.

They were there before the ships were reimagined, but as I say they may have been taken out.

Phil

My husband did one of those sleep studies and, yes, he was diagnosed with sleep apnea. He told the doctor who was giving him the sales pitch for the machine that he would never get to sleep with that mask on.

After a bit of an argument, the doctor told him that there is a dental device, but he said they don’t work. He went to the dentist - you have to find one that makes them. Not all dentists do.

He got it and works like a dream - pun intended [emoji12]. After listening to him snore forever, I was able to get rid of my earplugs! We both get a good nights sleep. It’s so much easier to travel with. It’s no more trouble than dentures. There is a case that doubles as a soaker for cleaning, and the cleaner comes in small packets.

He’s very happy with it.

I've heard [but haven't fully verified] that if you're old enough to get Medicare the oral device, which costs around $2K, is covered. The doctor that did the initial Apnea test will need to do another Apnea test after the device is made and a form stating so needs to go to your insurance company or Medicare for you to avoid having to personally pay your dentist for the device.

Everyone is happy, the patient gets rid of the 'octopus' strapped to their face every night, their partner will still sleep in a snore free environment and traveling is no longer a pain due to the loss of the air station, hoses, masks and distilled water. Bonus! your doctor gets to charge insurance (Medicare or not) for one more sleep test which keeps him happy ;).

Based on what I've heard, the oral device works for a large number of patients.

He’s very happy with it.

What is the dental device called? Thanks for any information!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

What is the dental device called? Thanks for any information!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

The brand he has is called SomnoMed. Medicare paid for it, so I don’t know about other insurance.

The dentist sent him for a sleep test after the initial one with the doctor. That seemed to satisfy Medicare