Balcony - is there a bad side?

swissfamily

I suspect that one side is better than the other but there is slim pickings on some of the May/June cruises. Am I wasting my money if I pay for a balcony and it isn't on the proper side? Did you spend a lot of time on your balcony during the Alaska cruises - we are thinking of traveling end of May or early June.

Thanks!!

I don't think you can go wrong with either side. There will be great scenery on both sides of the ship. We spent lots of time on the balcony, and also a lot of time on deck watching the scenery and wildlife go by. Don't worry about the side, but do get a balcony I think its well worth it!

Overall there is about equal scenic viewing on both sides of a ship. The "wrong" side may come into play, IF you ONLY want glacier viewing from your cabin AND you are going to Glacier Bay. IF the case, then you are going to want a port side cabin.

In Glacier Bay, we got equal time on the starboard side balcony. The ship turned around midway so both sides had a chance to view the glacier.

However, all the commentary is on the way in, and you as you pass Lamplugh and Reid. I've been on several sailings where they didn't even pause here on the way out. I've also been on one sailing that did NOT do a 360 + 180 at the dead end Margerie/Grand Pacific. It did a 180 and left.

The bets are definately hedged to port side, if as I state- someone ONLY wants viewing from their balcony.

• 2 months later...

I currently have a starboard balcony for my Southbound cruise and a port balcony is now available for my cabin category. However, my TA charges $25 to change rooms. Do you think it's worth paying the fee to have a port balcony?

Since I have a GTY, there is also a slight possiblity that Princess could upgrade my cabin again. Should I just leave it alone?

We have had balcony cabins on both sides of the ships .... there is very little difference. On a northbound I would probably choose starboard and southbound port and on a return it really doesn't matter because what you miss going up you will see on your return.

In May and June as well as late August into September your balcony use will be limited by weather conditions. At any time of the year you want to be out on deck or in a lounge which provides you will a view from side to side as you will miss a lot sitting on a balcony.

I suspect that one side is better than the other but there is slim pickings on some of the May/June cruises. Am I wasting my money if I pay for a balcony and it isn't on the proper side? Did you spend a lot of time on your balcony during the Alaska cruises - we are thinking of traveling end of May or early June.

Thanks!!

I have cruised the Inside Passage many times. If the cruise is one way, my room WILL be on the mainland side of the ship. I prefer the round trip cruises, though.

If you are doing one way I could see one side being better than the other for a portion of the cruise, into the fjords and bays ship needs to go in and out so I doubt there is a huge difference. As others noted at Glacier bay may be some difference. I'd like to believe that the ship would give each side equal time, or they should charge a premium for "port"

If you are tight on budget and have to sacrifice excursion for a balcony I'd take the excursion and simply enjoy the deck view. After all there wll be about 80% of the ship using their hard paid for premium balcony , should be a lot of space ;)

Thanks!!

If you are doing one way I could see one side being better than the other for a portion of the cruise, into the fjords and bays ship needs to go in and out so I doubt there is a huge difference. As others noted at Glacier bay may be some difference. I'd like to believe that the ship would give each side equal time, or they should charge a premium for "port"

If you are tight on budget and have to sacrifice excursion for a balcony I'd take the excursion and simply enjoy the deck view. After all there wll be about 80% of the ship using their hard paid for premium balcony , should be a lot of space ;)

No premium for portside.

john

Thanks!!

It's best to stay inside of the railing. Long way down to very cold water!

I currently have a starboard balcony for my Southbound cruise and a port balcony is now available for my cabin category. However, my TA charges $25 to change rooms. Do you think it's worth paying the fee to have a port balcony?

Since I have a GTY, there is also a slight possiblity that Princess could upgrade my cabin again. Should I just leave it alone?

I would go for it! I have had family that have recommended this. So, we have balcony on the port side when we travel Southbound in September. Bet you are getting excited!

Archived