Athen, Kusadasi, Istanbul & Mykonos

You can do Athens, Santorini and Mykonos on your own. I would definitely do either a ships excursion or use a private guide to see Istanbul. First of all the traffic is horrendous and secondly the sights are spread around.

For Athens on your own please click on below:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=126154

Santorini also had a thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=99742

and also Mykonos as well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=117807

I am sure you will be able to work out what you want to do from these answers.

Jennie

Yu can definitely do MYkonos and Santorini on your own. For Istanbul and Kudassi you will need to either hire a guide or use the ship excursion( we try to do everything on our own or use private guides).. In Istanbul everything is too spread out for you to get to one place and another, and the ship or guide makes arrangements for youu to be able to see certain sites. In Kudassi if you are going to the ancient sites, it is like somewhat going to Pompeii you will not know what you are looking at without someone to help guide you.

If you want to go to Ephese (beautiful!) out of Kudassi, you better book a tour.

Istanbul I would prefer a tour too. Lot of traffic, few people speak any other language then turk. Very difficult to ask for directions etc.

The other cities are fine doing on your own.

I was once in Istanbul, and we visited the city on our own, without problems.

The main sights : Aya Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Archeological Museum and Yerebatansaray (a beautiful underground water reservoir) are all close together, in fact, if you would go by own car, you would park it once, and do all those sights without going back to the car, so a taxi to Topkapi Palace, is all you need, I think.

There is a tram on the Divan Yolu to the Grand Bazaar from the Aya Sophia. Near the bazaar is a taxi stand. You can go by foot from the Bazaar to the Suleyman Mosque.

Your day will be filled with these things.

For the Kariye Camii Mosque (the Chora church with the astounding mosaics you need a taxi, nearby are the ruins of a byzantine palace.

You need also a taxi for the Galatatower, where the Istiklal Caddesi starts, the Belle Epoque main Rue de Péra with the colonial mansions, churches and galleries to modern Taksim Square. A restored 1900s tram rides along this street.

With a good map, and a guide book, you can do a lot on your own.

J.

I agree with Belgian cruiser. We enjoyed doing Istanbul on our own.

We did Istabul pre-cruise in Dec 2000. Staying at the Four Seasons in the old town, it took us two days to see the Blue Mosque (Sulhantanamet, sp$), Topkapi, Haghia Sophia which were all within walking distance. A $6 taxi ride took us to the Grand Bazaar. As a rule, we don't rush from site to site when we travel, prefering to spend time talking to people etc. Did you know that Turkey makes a decent champagne? Cab ride from old town to Ship was about $15. The ship's daily review included a message in Turkish to give to the cab driver asking him to take us to the ship, although we did find a couple of informative cab drivers who spoke excellent English.

Ephesus, I wouldn't do without a guide. I think you would miss too much!

Athens can be done on your own. I've done both. As a first timer, a cab to the foot of the Acropolis can be done. From there, after your self-guided tour, you can walk down to the Plaka.

Mykonos...Have never been but plan to do the tour to Delos and see more rocks...LOL...

We were on the Golden Princess in the Med two years ago and had great tours in Turkey with Lale Kosagan. You can plug her name into google and get her email address.

We had a private group of 16 people, ranging in ages from 8 to 75 and she was lovely and accommodating with everyone. She met the ship for the half-day in Ephesus and was there again, smiling, the next morning in Istanbul. By far and by consensus, she was our favorite guide on the whole trip.

Have fun!

Archived