Tarquinia v Cerverti and Ostia Antica

kazganymede

We are in Civit for a day and probably will hire a car as we did it last year without any hassle.

As I love ruins and have seen Rome, my choices are Tarquinia

vs Cerverti (?) and Ostia Antica which are both in the direction of Rome, whereas Tarquinia is north.

Has anyone done both etruscan sites and which is the best?

Also is Europcar the closest to the drop off point at the terminal? It was the rental we used last year.

Having been to all three I would definitaly choose Ostia Antica. We only like(not love) old ruins and we ended up spending 5 hours at Antica. The place is hugh and the signage is very good. There is a lot of shade and a good cafateria. If you have time left on the way back you can stop at Cerveteri.

We have also been to all the sites and would agree (with no hesitation) that Ostia Antica is the best of the lot (we think it rivals Pompeii). As to Europcar, the Civitavecchia office is not very convenient to the main port entrance (it is a nice hike). The only major rental car agency close to the main port entrance is Hertz. But, there is a trick for getting to Europcar. Make sure you download a decent street map and pinpoint the exact location. When you take the free port shuttle from pier to the port entrance tell the driver you want to go to Europcar and see if he will drop you at the ports side gate. Many of the drivers will take you to this 2nd relatively unknown gate after they make their drop at the main port entrance (this 2nd gate is on the way back to the pier). Once you get to this smaller gate (you have to climb a few steps to get out of the port) it is only a few blocks to Europcar (it saves you at least 1/2 mile of walking). Of course this all depends on whether the driver will understand what you want (we are 2 for 2 when we tried this). Otherwise you will just have to walk from the main port entrance which is somewhat further.

Hank

We have also been to all the sites and would agree (with no hesitation) that Ostia Antica is the best of the lot (we think it rivals Pompeii). As to Europcar, the Civitavecchia office is not very convenient to the main port entrance (it is a nice hike). The only major rental car agency close to the main port entrance is Hertz. But, there is a trick for getting to Europcar. Make sure you download a decent street map and pinpoint the exact location. When you take the free port shuttle from pier to the port entrance tell the driver you want to go to Europcar and see if he will drop you at the ports side gate. Many of the drivers will take you to this 2nd relatively unknown gate after they make their drop at the main port entrance (this 2nd gate is on the way back to the pier). Once you get to this smaller gate (you have to climb a few steps to get out of the port) it is only a few blocks to Europcar (it saves you at least 1/2 mile of walking). Of course this all depends on whether the driver will understand what you want (we are 2 for 2 when we tried this). Otherwise you will just have to walk from the main port entrance which is somewhat further.

Hank

Hi Hank,

Appreciate your response, but I am somewhat confused now as last year when we disembarked from the Costa Pacifica, the bus stop was quite near to Europcar. I thought it was just around the corner, but I was very stressed because it was cold and wet and we couldn't find Budget which was many miles away, so I might have been disorientated.

I don't even recall seeing Hertz, only Europcar and Avis in the next street.

Perhaps we were let off at another bus stop?

Karen

Hi Hank,

Appreciate your response, but I am somewhat confused now as last year when we disembarked from the Costa Pacifica, the bus stop was quite near to Europcar. I thought it was just around the corner, but I was very stressed because it was cold and wet and we couldn't find Budget which was many miles away, so I might have been disorientated.

I don't even recall seeing Hertz, only Europcar and Avis in the next street.

Perhaps we were let off at another bus stop?

Karen

You are not alone in being confused by this port. As I mentioned in my previous post, the Hertz franchise is very close (about 2 blocks) to the main port entrance (and main bus stop) and is right along the main street about half way between the port entrance and the train station. Europcar is located about 3/4 or a mile from that same main entrance (Europcar is on Via Tarquinia) which is certainly walkable for most folks, but its still a hike. I also mentioned that Europcar (and Budget) are much closer to the largely unknown side gate to the port which is not the normal destination of the internal port shuttle buses. But, and this is the big but, most of the drivers will take you to that other side gate if you ask. From that side gate to Europcar is about 4 blocks.

Hank

You are not alone in being confused by this port. As I mentioned in my previous post, the Hertz franchise is very close (about 2 blocks) to the main port entrance (and main bus stop) and is right along the main street about half way between the port entrance and the train station. Europcar is located about 3/4 or a mile from that same main entrance (Europcar is on Via Tarquinia) which is certainly walkable for most folks, but its still a hike. I also mentioned that Europcar (and Budget) are much closer to the largely unknown side gate to the port which is not the normal destination of the internal port shuttle buses. But, and this is the big but, most of the drivers will take you to that other side gate if you ask. From that side gate to Europcar is about 4 blocks.

Hank

Thanks, I am beginning to think that we must have been let off at another bus stop as the one we got off at was right near via Tarquinia and Europcar. We walked up the road to the station, about 2 blocks and there were some cafes. I think the bus stop was near an old wall or something.

I always assumed they let everyone off at the same place.

Budget was about 25 km away, and we had to catch a taxi to find it on the other end of the very long port of civit.

I reallly think I'd better find a map of the place!

Karen

Thanks, I am beginning to think that we must have been let off at another bus stop as the one we got off at was right near via Tarquinia and Europcar. We walked up the road to the station, about 2 blocks and there were some cafes. I think the bus stop was near an old wall or something.

I always assumed they let everyone off at the same place.

Budget was about 25 km away, and we had to catch a taxi to find it on the other end of the very long port of civit.

I reallly think I'd better find a map of the place!

Karen

Now you have my attention and curiosity. We have never known the port shuttle buses to leave the port as they simply do a circular route to the various pier areas and to the main port entrance. If you found some kind of bus line that runs from inside the port into the city this would certainly be useful info. As to Budget Rent a Car, even my memory is hazy about their location but I looked it up and its about 1 1/4 miles past the Europcar location on Alfio Flores and certainly not within reasonable walking distance to the port.

I should add that we routinely use both Hertz and Europcar in Civitavecchia (we book through Autoeurope or Kemwel for longer term rentals and they discount both of these companies) and have been pleased with both companies. Our only issue with renting cars in this port is that we often will have luggage and none of these companies provides pick-up/delivery at the port. Europcar told us that this is because of the current security situation within the port that bans most traffic. On the other hand, we have always complemented Civitavecchia for its terrific internal port shuttle service (the best we have seen anywhere in the world).

Hank

Is it an easy to drive from Civit to Ostria Antica? I've driven in a number of foreign countries, but found driving in Italy the worst.

If you have driven from Civit to Ostria Antica, was it simple to navigate?

If you have driven from Civit to Ostria Antica, was it simple to navigate?

Yep, it is actually a relatively simple drive although it would help to have a decent map or GPS. You would drive from Civitavecchia directly to the autostrade (interstate type highway) which is called the A12 (also called E-80) and stay on this road until you go past the FCO airport where you need to stay highway heading west (away from Rome and around the southern end of FCO). You than intersect the S296 where there are signs. With a map this is all pretty easy and with GPS its even easier. Total driving time from port to the Ostia should be about an hour. There is plenty of parking as Ostia Antica (right at the entrance). There is also a restaurant and cafe at the entrance where you can get lunch although we prefer walking a few blocks and finding a small local place (we found a small sandwich shop nearby). The ruins are actually about a 10 min drive from the airport (FCO) and we have visited the ruins when we happen to be staying out at the airport Hilton and are looking for something to do.

Hank

Thanks Hank: In the back of my mind I think you were helpful on another trip of ours. I went back a few pages of your prior posts and gave up. I think it was South America one or two years ago, possibly Igusau Falls. Could this be you?

• 2 months later...
We are in Civit for a day and probably will hire a car as we did it last year without any hassle.

As I love ruins and have seen Rome, my choices are Tarquinia

vs Cerverti (?) and Ostia Antica which are both in the direction of Rome, whereas Tarquinia is north.

Has anyone done both etruscan sites and which is the best?

Also is Europcar the closest to the drop off point at the terminal? It was the rental we used last year.

We used Hertz and it was very easy. We sailed from Civit and spent 2 days in Rome and then in Tarquinia. There is a wonderful little bar called the Old Station. Town is great and the ruins great too.

Thanks Hank: In the back of my mind I think you were helpful on another trip of ours. I went back a few pages of your prior posts and gave up. I think it was South America one or two years ago, possibly Igusau Falls. Could this be you?

By

Well, we have helped a few folks over the years on these boards but it would not have been Igusau Falls since we have never been to that place (would like to get there one of these days). We tend to limit our posts to places we have personally visited. By the way, regarding the train to Ostia this is not very convenient or fast from Civitavecchia. The problem is that you must first get into Rome to get a train out to Ostia and this process can take about 2 hours each way (depending on connections). Driving from Civitavecchia to Ostia is less then an hour each way. We never recommend anyone drive in Rome, but driving the roads outside the city (such as from the port to Ostia) is not difficult...especially if you rent or own a GPS.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...
By

Well, we have helped a few folks over the years on these boards but it would not have been Igusau Falls since we have never been to that place (would like to get there one of these days). We tend to limit our posts to places we have personally visited. By the way, regarding the train to Ostia this is not very convenient or fast from Civitavecchia. The problem is that you must first get into Rome to get a train out to Ostia and this process can take about 2 hours each way (depending on connections). Driving from Civitavecchia to Ostia is less then an hour each way. We never recommend anyone drive in Rome, but driving the roads outside the city (such as from the port to Ostia) is not difficult...especially if you rent or own a GPS.

Hank

Hank--thanks as always for the great advice you give here. We were going to take the train from the port and save some money over a rental car, but not if we can save over two hours of travel time on a one-day port stay by doing the latter. We have been to central Rome a number of times before which is why we're going to Ostia Antica. Since we'll have the car, and anticipate spending 3 hours or so there with time for something else in the afternoon (this is not our disembarkation port), what else would you suggest seeing in the general area to fill up the rest of the day that otherwise would be difficult to get to without a car?

Thanks.

Les

This is tough cause we are not at home and do not have our maps and notes. Depending on how fast your day is going you might want to head all the way back north of Civitavecchia and go to Tarquinia. Another place that is much closer to Ostia is the sea resort town of Fiumcino. Very few ever go to Fiumcino but on one trip we were looking for a place to eat dinner (we were staying at the FCO Hilton) and decided to drive into Fiumcino. It actually has a delightful walkway located along the sea and quite a few decent seafood restaurants right across the street from the sea. We would not recommend this for a special trip, but it is a good option if you want to kill a couple of hours and have a meal. Another possibility is you get out of Antica early enough in the day is to drive all the way to Orvieto. The problem is that it take about 1 1/2 hours of driving (one-way) and then its another delightful 1 1/2 drive back to the port via Viterbo and the back roads. So, its a stretch unless you get an early start and get out of the ruins by noon. However, Orvieto is really worth the drive since its one of the nicer hill towns near Rome.

Hank

OPINION: Consider this: While trains are great and generally quicker and less costly , Italy often has train problems, especially if it rains heavily or they are striking (last time in cinque terre we waited for 3 hours).......If you have extra time, trains are okay, otherwise, I'd rent a car......less stressful.

OPINION: Consider this: While trains are great and generally quicker and less costly , Italy often has train problems, especially if it rains heavily or they are striking (last time in cinque terre we waited for 3 hours).......If you have extra time, trains are okay, otherwise, I'd rent a car......less stressful.
We've been caught in an Italian train strike--you have a good point. Take a look at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=594032&highlight= .

Les

Archived