Verizon - Mifi (wifi) for iPad

kerryw29

does anyone know if these will work for FREE on Princess (or really any cruise)?

Forgive my ignorance...

i Just don't know how that works.

I have an iPad. Am going to Alaska (realize that signal may be my issue)...

am curious if I buy the unlimited 3g plan from AT&T or the Verizon mifi will work on the cruises.

THanks in advance for any input.

Kerry

does anyone know if these will work for FREE on Princess (or really any cruise)?

Forgive my ignorance...

i Just don't know how that works.

I have an iPad. Am going to Alaska (realize that signal may be my issue)...

am curious if I buy the unlimited 3g plan from AT&T or the Verizon mifi will work on the cruises.

THanks in advance for any input.

Kerry

No you would have to purchase an internet package to access their signal onboard.

When you're in port, you should be able to use your iPad either with a WiFi signal or the 3G. If you're on the ship, you will have to connect via a satellite so you have two options: purchase an Internet package and use the ship's WiFi system, or use the ship's cell service which will be $2.49/minute billed through your 3G provider in addition to any roaming costs.

The bottom line is that the iPad has the capability but since you'll be nowhere near land, you must use the ship's communications systems, which will cost you. It doesn't matter which ship or cruiseline, it's the same because you don't have a satellite connection without it.

The Mifi will not work over the ships system most likely. At least on the coral, the cell service did not allow EVDO data packets of the type it uses (may vary based on the satellite in use at the time).

Verizon also has a FiveSpot(?) device that is GSM capable for intl use. It's a lot more expensive though either $129 per month for global OR around $60 per month with an intl data charge of around a penny per KB (or $10 per meg)

Archived