port of cherbourg france

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:43 AM.
sarasota,fl
3 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
We have done about 10 HAL cruises-all were great . We are on the Rotterdam in May and would like to know about shore excursions for Cherebourg France. The offerings from Hal all look rather boring--any advice ?
islandman
219 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Just wondering if you read the same excursions that I can find on the HAL website? Three that immediately jump out are Mont St Michel, the D-Day beaches and Bayeux. I've spent a considerable about of time in Normandy and Brittany, but never a lot of time in Cherbourg - it's simply a place to catch the ferry back to the UK. Normandy is full of good food and beautiful little villages and a crazy concentration of history - go forth and explore!
Ontario, Canada
1,231 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Islandman............I notice you are new to Cruise Critic, so Welcome aboard. You will find a lot of information exchange between the very helpful members. Perhaps you are not aware of Roll Calls which can be found on this board. People sailing on the same ship and date will meet on board and also plan excursions together. The Roll Call for your sailing can be found at this link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...132505&page=54
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JASLhttp://www.hollandamerica.com/images/4starMariner.gif
San Antonio, Texas
528 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
We were in Cherbourg last year and book a private tour to the Normandy beaches. Being retired military, it was quite an experience. We had several stops at significant points of interest including the small Church were two American medics treated and aided numerous injuries and casualties during the first days of the invasion. If interested, do a search for "Overlord" tours. It cost about $100 per person and was limited to seven people. I would take this excursion again should I return.

Cheers, Slim
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tom & Julie

08/99 Renaissance (Oceana) R-1 - Istanbul to Athens
11/01 CCL Celebration -Western Caribbean
02/03 CCL Elation - Western Caribbean
02/04 RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas - Western Caribbean
06/04 CCL Spirit - Alaska
02/06 CCL Conquest - Western Caribbean

11/06 CCL Ecstasy
11/07 CCL Conquest
02/08 RCCL Voyager of the Seas - Western Caribbean
05/09 RCCL Voyager of the Seas TA - Galveston, Bermuda, Azores, France, Ireland, England
02/10 CCL Ecstasy - Western Caribbean
11/10 HAL MS Statendam - 28-day Panama Canal
04/11 HAL MS Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera
04/11 RCCL Voyager of the Seas - Western Caribbean
10/11 HAL MS Statendam - 28-Day Panama Canal
06/13 HAL MS Statendam - Alaska Cruise/Tour
10/13 CCL Conquest - Western Caribbean
04/14 HAL MS Statendam - Circle Hawaii, Tahiti, Marquesas
01/15 HAL MS Sttemdam, - Panama Canal

04/15 RCCL Navigator - Western Caribbean
07/15 CCL Carnival Freedom, Western Caribbean
04/16 HAL MS Zuiderdam
373 Posts
Joined May 2005
If you haven't visited Mt. St. Michel, it is wonderful in my opinion as are Honfleur and the town with the Bayeux Tapestry.