Back from Enchantment 5/28 - Bermuda - Hi Gary's Mom!

I am going to start out this review by saying "Hi!" to the Hotel Director's Mom. During our Diamond Event, Gary, the Hotel Director starts by asking if anyone in the audience is from Cruise Critic. :eek: TP Keller and I enchange looks and warily raise our hands {not sure if we are going to get a pie in our face at this point}. Gary goes on to explain that his mum, from the UK, reads Cruise Critic, then tells Gary what is going on in his own company. And sometimes, on his own ship. :o So after the Diamond Event I told Gary that I would tell his Mum that he says Hi! {he really looks well and he's doing fine :D}

*I had to promise I wouldn't write anything bad about the ship {insert evil grin here}

Moving on....

THIS is the first CrusinMAMA cruise not as a MAMA :eek: GASP! A friend and fellow CCer wanted to jump on a last minute cruise and asked if I would go with her, there were only doubles available and the kids would have to stay home with dad DOUBLE GASP!

How would they survive without me? What would I do without them? I have been cruising over a decade with those little buggers. Almost my entire cruising life has revolved around kids clubs and pirate parades -- how would I adjust? You mean there is adult only places onboard a ship? No way! Who knew?

So I lay clothes out for 7 days for 2 kids (and one very patient hubby), kiss them all goodbye and set off for my 3 hour drive to Baltimore to start my new adventure as a solo (sort of) cruiser.

The first thing I notice when you drive alone, you can sing to yourself (off key of course) very loudly and no one yells at you from the back seat.

Good Bye Foggy PA Mountains....

004.jpg

Baltimore Terminal -- Attack of the Nasty Diamond Line Man :eek:

I arrive in Baltimore Parking lot at 10:00 a.m. and they have cars lined up at the gate, waiting to move into the actual parking lot. My bags are tagged and ready to go. By about 10:30 a.m. they open the gates and the steady procession of cars are directed into the parking lot. It was $75 to park for the 5 night cruise (the cash line was shorter, but they also take credit card). PatSeaCruiser and I head inside and as always, make our way to the Diamond Line. The lines are empty. No one is there. We are first. Pat starts to make her way to the counter. She walks past this man who stops me and says:

"Where do you think you are gonna Miss?" :rolleyes:

I said "Oh, hi Sir, we are going to the Diamond counter, we are Diamond members." :D

He said,"Give me your reservations."

So I hand him my sea pass print out and said "Um, sir, I don't think that will help you because our Diamond status isn't printed on that?"

He says "I have to check this." And he proceeds to take MY reservation over to another person who is deep in conversation with another employee and is ignoring us.

Meanwhile, PatSeaCruiser is already checking in. And she starts yelling "Michele! Heyyyyyyy, Michele! We need YOUUUUUU! I can't check in without youuuuuuu!"

So I said, "Um, sir, they need me at the check in counter" :o

The guy storms to the check in counter and yells "ARE THEY DIAMONDS?" to which the counter agent says "I don't know until I check them in!"

So as soon as the counter agent gives PatSeaCruiser her card she races down the aisle, finds the guy (did I mention that she is originally from New York...lol) and says "SEE, DIAMOND!" And the guy answers - "Your attitude!" :mad: And she answers "No sir, YOURS!" :mad:

We were going to be the first ones ever to get kicked off a RCI cruise before we ever stepped onboard!

Crisis averted, we make our way to the diamond section and wait to board. Boarding begins after 11:15 a.m. and by 11:30 a.m. we are having our first meal in the Windjammer.

Muster and Sailing Away:

A friend who just got off Freedom told me that they are doing a new thing with Muster, you have to report 15 minutes early, making it really long. I thought, noooo, that must be a crazy Freedom ship thing. So PatSeaCruiser and I were relaxing in a chair on deck when all of a sudden, 15 minutes before muster, the crew members started herding {sorry, really no better way to describe it} everyone to "Please go directly to Deck 5".

I swear some of the passengers were "mooing" because it did feel like we were being herded like cattle. The crew members did a pretty wide sweep of the upper and lower pool decks and moved everyone to Deck 5 starting 15 minutes before the whistles sounded. Then, when they did sound, we were already standing there at our Muster stations. It didn't go any faster because we still had to wait for the people to arrive who were in their cabins when the horns blew. Oh well, a necessary evil.

Moving on to sail away....

We headed up to watch Enchantment barely clear the Key bridge and then the Chesapeake Bay Bridges. {actually she fit under them just fine but its fun to take pictures that look like she's going to wipe out a bridge}

Key Bridge

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

Chesapeake Bay Bridges

029.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

Hi Michele,

Welcome back!!

I just logged on to see if you started your review ... and here you are!!:D

Your review is off to a great start ... i am looking forward to experiencing your "kidless cruise" with you.

Livabeth

Yay - thanks for the review and photos. We are doing this cruise in October (over Halloween), and it seemed to be one that didn't get much "Just back..." traffic.

On another note, back when DH and I were Platinum members, we had a similar experience in the cruise terminal in Ft. Lauderdale. We approached a Platinum/Diamond check in area, and were rudely accosted by an RC person who demanded proof of our status. I guess she thought folks in their early 30's couldn't possibly have attained Platinum/Diamond status. Once we demonstrated our status, she just scowled at us and walked away. I'm glad it wasn't our first cruise, because she made a terrible impression.

Thanks Livabeth! : - )

Pat and I knew what we had to do as soon as we boarded - change our 8:30 assigned Late seating to MTD -- not a problem, Josephine was available at Noon to make that change for us. We were the first ones in line and our request was granted (we had paid our tips in advance just for this occasion). We then requested to reserve dinner for 6pm every night (main seating was filled when we booked)

I then tried to load my card up with cash, the "system" wasn't available until after 1pm to do that.

So it was time to head back to the cabin. Welcome to the CAVE. Now I have to preface this by saying this was the first time I have stayed in an inside cabin since my very first cruise wayyyyy back in 1997. In my family, cruising with kids offers a certain advantage, it means, cruising in a JS or higher. We found our luggage at the cabin at 1pm - BONUS!

And actually, I was happy that it wasn't as small as my last inside experience (Sovereign, open the door, it hits your bed, lol)

But yes, when the cruise comedians joke that you can shower, sit on the toilet and brush your teeth, all at the same time, they are not kidding. ; - )

Welcome to Inside Cabin 8659 - Aft Deck 8

112.jpg

118.jpg

125.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

Diamond Welcome Aboard Gift Basket - Soda, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Trail Mix and Dried Fruit

124.jpg

Welcome back Michele.

I didn't realize you were doing this trip sans kids and hubby. We are considering Enchantment for the 5 night later in the summer, and my sister (who has cruised on her before) has voiced some concerns about my boys enjoying this ship, given that they have cruised mostly the larger ships in the past. Jason (13.5) is a flowrider junkie and Kyle (who will be 9) is now tall enough to get on and believe me, reminds me all the time.

I know the girls were not with you, but if you by chance noticed anything that would be helpful for those of us cruising with the kids (and I'm not knocking you..just did a 4 nighter with only my mom for our birthdays) it might help me to decide whether I want to book it if the rates comes down to where I like it.

Looking forward to more of your review.

The June 11th Bermuda cruise will be our second on RCI. What do you feel is the best time for us to arrive at the pier? When are the pools open for guests? Did you encounter any rough seas?

Love the review so far! Can't wait to read/see more!

Hey! You're next! :D

Great review - keep it coming!

By the way, my Set Sail pass always has my status on it. It's right under the cabin number.:)

Do you know what...I just checked it again because I have page 2 from that set sail pass and YOU ARE RIGHT! :eek: There it is! The small D is right under the cabin number! I didn't think it was on there! THANK YOU! Next time I will show the guy!

The June 11th Bermuda cruise will be our second on RCI. What do you feel is the best time for us to arrive at the pier? When are the pools open for guests? Did you encounter any rough seas?

We got there really early (by 10am) and the parking lot was still closed. My brother is on the current sailing (6/2 - 9 night cruise). His hotel shuttle picked him up at 10:15. After talking to crew, the goal is to have everyone off the ship by 10am to start boarding between 11:15 and 11:30. As you can see in the pictures above, the pools were open for guests right away. I took those as soon as we boarded. They were painting one of the main pools. But by the next day it was open as well. And no, we didn't have any rough seas at all, it was calm like glass the entire time.

The calm seas on the way out to Bermuda (1st sea day, the view from my favorite Solarium Chair, next to the Pizza Bar).

041.jpg

The ocean was like glass on the Last Sea Day -- was able to spot a whale then a pod of 6 dolphins. That's when I grabbed the camera -- can you see all 6?

166.jpg

Welcome back Michele.

I didn't realize you were doing this trip sans kids and hubby. We are considering Enchantment for the 5 night later in the summer, and my sister (who has cruised on her before) has voiced some concerns about my boys enjoying this ship, given that they have cruised mostly the larger ships in the past. Jason (13.5) is a flowrider junkie and Kyle (who will be 9) is now tall enough to get on and believe me, reminds me all the time.

I know the girls were not with you, but if you by chance noticed anything that would be helpful for those of us cruising with the kids (and I'm not knocking you..just did a 4 nighter with only my mom for our birthdays) it might help me to decide whether I want to book it if the rates comes down to where I like it.

Looking forward to more of your review.

I totally understand what you are asking! I had this ship booked for my kids until NCL came out with the Kids Sail Free -- so I cancelled Enchantment for November and rebooked on NCL Gem -- comparing two ships and prices. So I know where you are coming from. My kids love slides, H20 zones and if all else fails, then they want a great kids club.

I had so much time on my hands, I had a lot of time to talk to parents (and most often) GRANDparents who were with the kids. I tried to get a feel for what everyone was up to. I will post the AO schedules as soon as I get them scanned and uploaded.

But for the older kids -- this was the feeling. There was a 10 year old hanging out in the Solarium one day on the side of the pool. I said to his mom "He looks bored" lol. She said "The outside pool is too busy. It's too crazy for him" So I asked how old he was {10} I asked if he liked the kids club -- she said "No, he thinks its for little kids"

There were some tweens playing ping pong and shuffleboard. There were some on the rock wall and the trampoline (Jump Zone) when it was open (closed due to winds on the last sea day)

I didn't see any running around the ship causing problems -- at all. Which is always good. Some kids were playing trivia. Some even came to karaoke and surprised us all because they were good AND funny.

It's not a Freedom/Oasis class. So your kids aren't going to have a flowrider. I guess you'll have to look at things they like to do. Another thing Enchantment doesn't have is a basketball court. I saw some kids asking crew members where the "bball court was" -- there isn't one.

013.jpg

018.jpg

127.jpg

126.jpg

129.jpg

130.jpg

Great review - keep it coming!

By the way, my Set Sail pass always has my status on it. It's right under the cabin number.:)

Ha - never noticed that before but Michele I see the little "D" under the cabin # as I had an extra that I just threw in the pail this morning and pulled out when I read this response. It is there.

Thanks Livabeth! : - )

Pat and I knew what we had to do as soon as we boarded - change our 8:30 assigned Late seating to MTD -- not a problem, Josephine was available at Noon to make that change for us. We were the first ones in line and our request was granted (we had paid our tips in advance just for this occasion). We then requested to reserve dinner for 6pm every night (main seating was filled when we booked)

I then tried to load my card up with cash, the "system" wasn't available until after 1pm to do that.

So it was time to head back to the cabin. Welcome to the CAVE. Now I have to preface this by saying this was the first time I have stayed in an inside cabin since my very first cruise wayyyyy back in 1997. In my family, cruising with kids offers a certain advantage, it means, cruising in a JS or higher. We found our luggage at the cabin at 1pm - BONUS!

And actually, I was happy that it wasn't as small as my last inside experience (Sovereign, open the door, it hits your bed, lol)

But yes, when the cruise comedians joke that you can shower, sit on the toilet and brush your teeth, all at the same time, they are not kidding. ; - )

Welcome to Inside Cabin 8659 - Aft Deck 8

112.jpg

[/img]

Hey, Michele, that sucker is TWICE the size of a Sovereign interior! ;)

Enjoying your review! We were on the Enchantment last June for 9 nights. Just rebooked her yesterday for 12 nights next January. Hoping DD (11) will still enjoy the ship after being on the Allure 5 months ago. She really enjoyed the flowrider and ziplining, so she'll just have to get reacquainted with the "specialness" that is the Enchantment ;). Although she's an older and smaller ship, she's still a classy lady. :) Love the expanded pool deck and the jump zone in the front of the ship!

Archived