Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

I realize it's not a HAL ship, so maybe not for this board, but it is an interesting cruise event... so, I am posting.

As read on msnbc.com:

A cruise ship with up to 4,000 people on board ran aground on the island of Giglio, off the Tuscan coast, on Friday night, and UK media reported that at least two people died.

The Telegraph said some passengers jumped from the steeply listing Costa Concordia and swam a short distance to the island. A photo in the Telegraph showed the brightly lit ship teetering just outside a harbor wall.

Sky News quoted coast guard officials as saying two people died.

Sky News quoted passenger Luciano Castro as telling Italian media: ''We were having dinner when all of a sudden the lights went out. It seemed as if the ship struck something and then we heard a load bang and everything fell to the floor.

''The captain immediately came on the tanoy and said that there had been an electrical fault but it seemed very strange as the ship almost immediately began to list to one side. The glasses just slid off the table."

I realize it's not a HAL ship, so maybe not for this board, but it is an interesting cruise event... so, I am posting.

"

It's family. Costa is part of Carnival.

News is grim for a least a few of the passengers so far, and the little island has only a few accommodations, many closed at this low-season time of the year.

Mayor reported opening the island to offer any bit of help he can for the 4000 people - don't know if it is only connected by ferry service or what kind of ships can come into its very picturesque port now turned into a evacuation central. Yes, we are all family on the high seas -- and this is why sometimes someone else's cruise plans can go awry - the duty to rescue others in peril is first priority.

Poignant note was just on the Costa Cruise Critic board with one poster asking who else was joining the Feb 6 Concordia cruise......... obviously written before this happened.

Thanks, Sail!!!!

I am shocked... I was not familiar with the Concordia, and thought maybe it was a small, old ship... but, it looks relatively new. Similar to a Carnival ship. Seven years old...

I never thought something like this could happen to a modern day cruise ship.

Also, can you believe Wikipedia is already updated with this tragedy???

This is from cruise critic website news

(9:50 p.m. EST) -- Six people are feared dead and the toll may climb after Costa Concordia ran aground off the coast of Italy late today and began taking on water, according to numerous media reports. More than 4,000 passengers and crew were evacuated from the sinking vessel.

Agence France Presse quoted the Italian coast guard as saying, "At around 8:00 pm the 290-metre-long Costa Concordia cruise ship... began taking on water and tilting over by around 20 degrees." The ship was on Mediterranean voyage when it hit a reef near Isola del Giglio. At this time, most of those onboard (about 3,200 passengers and 1,000 crewmembers) have been evacuated, though AFP notes that helicopters with spotlights are being used to aid in the rescue.

The report says a passenger told ANSA news agency that those aboard heard a boom and were told an electrical problem had caused the ship to stop. Some reports indicate passengers were seen jumping into the sea to get off the sinking ship.

As read on msnbc.com:

A cruise ship with up to 4,000 people on board ran aground on the island of Giglio, off the Tuscan coast, on Friday night, and UK media reported that at least two people died.

The Telegraph said some passengers jumped from the steeply listing Costa Concordia and swam a short distance to the island. A photo in the Telegraph showed the brightly lit ship teetering just outside a harbor wall.

Sky News quoted coast guard officials as saying two people died.

Sky News quoted passenger Luciano Castro as telling Italian media: ''We were having dinner when all of a sudden the lights went out. It seemed as if the ship struck something and then we heard a load bang and everything fell to the floor.

''The captain immediately came on the tanoy and said that there had been an electrical fault but it seemed very strange as the ship almost immediately began to list to one side. The glasses just slid off the table."

Sad, Kevin, so sad!

Guest LoveMyBoxer

I just hope that people learn a lesson from this, no joking, drinking or missing the drills! They really need to bring back the roll calls and make those who miss the drill make it up!

I just hope that people learn a lesson from this, no joking, drinking or missing the drills! They really need to bring back the roll calls and make those who miss the drill make it up!

I hate to say it, but you're right...

We (most anyway) are all adults and know we should show up. That just wastes more time. If people don't go they only hurt (or worse) themselves.

Archived