Civitavecchia Alternative

tocruiseguy

Hello, we are cruising the Med in August and one of our ports of call is Rome for a day. As we were in Rome last year for 5 days we are looking to do something different from the port. I have been looking into alternatives but can't seem to find any locations that are easy to get to on our own. Any ideas out there?

Thanks.

If you walk to the station, you can buy a ticket for Santa Marinella, which is a little seaside port, the next stop on from Civitavecchia. We are doing this on our next trip, on guidance of our friend. As far as I know, all the Rome trains stop there, going and coming.

Jo.

well there is...Cevi...Ceviteri...Lake Bracciano...Tarquinia...the many Etruscan ruins...wine tasting...oil tasting...Castle Odeleschi...

When we do our port stop back in Civitavechhia after 5 days pre cruise in rome, we have our buddy Stefano from RomeCabs picling us up for a a lovely day tour which includes the above.

Well, what time of year are you travelling? In summer, I would go to Capalbio and maybe the beach near by and to Ortobello the Mounte Argentario. The Maremma is a lovely aera which lovely old towns and a lot of atmosphere. It is north of Civitaveccia, maybe 30 -40 minutes.

If you want to do something on your own, there is a bus to Tarquinia that appears to be quite easy from Civitavecchia. In Tarquinia you can see painted tombs of the Etruscans as well as a nice museum. There have been some recent posts on doing this; just do a search on Tarquinia and you should be able to turn up more details.

Well, what time of year are you travelling? In summer, I would go to Capalbio and maybe the beach near by and to Ortobello the Mounte Argentario. The Maremma is a lovely aera which lovely old towns and a lot of atmosphere. It is north of Civitaveccia, maybe 30 -40 minutes.

We are cruising this August. Can you take the train to these places?

I think the train is an easy option. We always have a rental car, so I do not know, but there is a train station close to the beach and in Orbetello. I would probably get a rental car (right at the gate of the port) for about 50-60 € if you want to explore the area. The aera is lovely and it is fun to drive around (Monte Argrentario e.g.)

If you just do a day at the beach (there are two lovely, very italien beach clubs- "Ultima spiaggia" ) you can get the train to Stazione Ciarone from Civitaveccia and walk about 10 minutes.

If you walk to the station, you can buy a ticket for Santa Marinella, which is a little seaside port, the next stop on from Civitavecchia. We are doing this on our next trip, on guidance of our friend. As far as I know, all the Rome trains stop there, going and coming.

Jo.

Jocap I have seen this from the train ,and wondered what it is like it looks very nice and the beach looks great too. I hope you will tell us what it is like on this thread.

There are many easy DIY options if you simply rent a car for the day. Hertz is located a short walking distance from the main port entrance and rental rates for a small car (standard shift) are under $80 a day. One nice itinerary would be to drive to Orvieto in the morning and then work your way back to Tarquinia in the afternoon (this follows the basic rule of going to your furthest destination first). Another option is to drive towards the airport (FCO) and visit Ostia Antica (great for folks that love ruins and history). Public transit if fine, but does have its limitations when you want to get around to smaller places.

Hank

Archived