Wish Disney cared.

Hannon815

I've just returned from a Disney Cruise on the Magic. I was greatly disappointed with my entire experience.

Knowing nothing about Disney Cruises , I relied solely on the assistance and advisement of the Disney Cruise Representative Anthony. I thought that the Disney Representative was suppose to be there to help me understand what ship had the things I wanted. I told him the specific things I wanted to do on the cruise. I also informed him I did not know the names of the ship and that it might have been the Magic but I wasn't sure. Anthony informed me that there was going to be a story time with Elsa and Anna, which I thought was great because I had purchased those princess dresses from disneystore.com. He also told me that the bunk in the room had glow in the dark stars on the ceiling. I added that I wanted to be on the ship that had the slide that went around the whole ship. When I booked my family cruise I thought we would be getting all of these things on the ship I was booking, but sadly that wasn't the case at all.

Upon arriving on the boat and realizing it was not the ship I wanted at all. I called Disney Cruise right away and the representative that I spoke with told me when we got back to call him and he will take care of it. I wanted to make the best of the trip and tried to assure my girls that despite the fact that they were not going to see their favorite princesses, Elsa and Anna, that they were going to have a great time. Even the slide that was on the ship was a disappointment because two of my children weren't tall enough to go on the slide.

When we arrived at our room the housekeeper advised us that she just had to vacuum and our room would be ready. We went for a walk to get familiar with the ship and then returned. Once the room was set my family went in to get settled in and I found a pair of little boys dirty underwear in the night stand drawer. I went directly to Guest Services, because I didn't want the girls to know there was an issue, and told the about the issue and where they would find the dirty underwear. The gentleman in Guest Service advised me that he would send someone up right away to take care of the issue. I then received a text message on the room cell phone informing me to call Guest Services. I was around the corner from Guest Service and just walked over instead of calling. I was informed at that time I was told that it had been disposed of and the room was all set. After returning back to the room that night I noticed the voice mail light was flashing on

the room phone. The message was from a woman stating that the underwear had been taken out of the room. I immediately went to the drawer and they were in fact still there. Again I called Guest Services and then sent someone over to remove the underwear once and for all, but unfortunately now the kids were aware of the situation and, being little girls, were completely grossed out. The housekeeper stopped me in the hall the next day and told me I should have gone to her first and that she might lose her job over this situation. Sorry, then you should have done your job. Upon returning to the room that afternoon there were three stuffed Winnie the Poohs for the girls. Despite the fact that the girls thought it was great, I was not as impressed.

I was determined not to let this second incident ruin, what I had planned to be a great family trip. Sadly, it didn't end there. On the last night we went to Lumière's for our family dinner. I was looking forward to have the lobster and pasta dinner. While I was eating I saw something blue in my food. I put it off to the side because I wasn't sure what it was. I called over the server to show him and he reluctantly told me it was a piece of an SOS pad. The server then showed it to the head server and they brought it to the chef. After about 20 minutes later, after my family was almost finished with their meal, the chef came out apologizing for the mishap and stated that sometimes these things happen. He then asked if I wanted another dish of the same. I had lost my appetite at that point. He then sent over six chocolate covered strawberries.

Once we got back home I called the Disney Cruise. I was then informed I needed to email Disney's Communication Department and that there was no way to call them directly. So, I did as I was instructed and emailed the Communication Department and waited and waited. I finally got a call from Joel. Joel told me he had listened to my conversation with Anthony, the booking representative and it was not Anthony's fault that I was put on the wrong ship and that it was in fact my fault. Needless to say I was extremely upset and emotional. Joel would not let listen to anything I said. He continued to cut me off and made light of the other issues as well. I asked to speak with his supervisor and he informed me that he didn't have one and that the President of the Disney Corporation gave him the final call on the situation. Joel made me feel even worse about my experience and

offered me 15% off at any of the parks. We've spent a lot of money for this cruise to get the Disney experience and felt that that offer was a slap in the face.

Since we've become Disney Annual Pass Holders in November it seemed only natural that we continue with the Disney experience and take our family on a Disney Cruise. Disney has always had the reputation of being family oriented and to go above and beyond to give families a magical experience and I didn't mind paying the extra cost to get it, but we didn't get the magical experience we had hoped to share with our family.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Hannon815

I've just returned from a Disney Cruise on the Magic. I was greatly disappointed with my entire experience.

Knowing nothing about Disney Cruises , I relied solely on the assistance and advisement of the Disney Cruise Representative Anthony. I thought that the Disney Representative was suppose to be there to help me understand what ship had the things I wanted. I told him the specific things I wanted to do on the cruise. I also informed him I did not know the names of the ship and that it might have been the Magic but I wasn't sure. Anthony informed me that there was going to be a story time with Elsa and Anna, which I thought was great because I had purchased those princess dresses from disneystore.com. He also told me that the bunk in the room had glow in the dark stars on the ceiling. I added that I wanted to be on the ship that had the slide that went around the whole ship. When I booked my family cruise I thought we would be getting all of these things on the ship I was booking, but sadly that wasn't the case at all.

Upon arriving on the boat and realizing it was not the ship I wanted at all. I called Disney Cruise right away and the representative that I spoke with told me when we got back to call him and he will take care of it. I wanted to make the best of the trip and tried to assure my girls that despite the fact that they were not going to see their favorite princesses, Elsa and Anna, that they were going to have a great time. Even the slide that was on the ship was a disappointment because two of my children weren't tall enough to go on the slide.

When we arrived at our room the housekeeper advised us that she just had to vacuum and our room would be ready. We went for a walk to get familiar with the ship and then returned. Once the room was set my family went in to get settled in and I found a pair of little boys dirty underwear in the night stand drawer. I went directly to Guest Services, because I didn't want the girls to know there was an issue, and told the about the issue and where they would find the dirty underwear. The gentleman in Guest Service advised me that he would send someone up right away to take care of the issue. I then received a text message on the room cell phone informing me to call Guest Services. I was around the corner from Guest Service and just walked over instead of calling. I was informed at that time I was told that it had been disposed of and the room was all set. After returning back to the room that night I noticed the voice mail light was flashing on

the room phone. The message was from a woman stating that the underwear had been taken out of the room. I immediately went to the drawer and they were in fact still there. Again I called Guest Services and then sent someone over to remove the underwear once and for all, but unfortunately now the kids were aware of the situation and, being little girls, were completely grossed out. The housekeeper stopped me in the hall the next day and told me I should have gone to her first and that she might lose her job over this situation. Sorry, then you should have done your job. Upon returning to the room that afternoon there were three stuffed Winnie the Poohs for the girls. Despite the fact that the girls thought it was great, I was not as impressed.

I was determined not to let this second incident ruin, what I had planned to be a great family trip. Sadly, it didn't end there. On the last night we went to Lumière's for our family dinner. I was looking forward to have the lobster and pasta dinner. While I was eating I saw something blue in my food. I put it off to the side because I wasn't sure what it was. I called over the server to show him and he reluctantly told me it was a piece of an SOS pad. The server then showed it to the head server and they brought it to the chef. After about 20 minutes later, after my family was almost finished with their meal, the chef came out apologizing for the mishap and stated that sometimes these things happen. He then asked if I wanted another dish of the same. I had lost my appetite at that point. He then sent over six chocolate covered strawberries.

Once we got back home I called the Disney Cruise. I was then informed I needed to email Disney's Communication Department and that there was no way to call them directly. So, I did as I was instructed and emailed the Communication Department and waited and waited. I finally got a call from Joel. Joel told me he had listened to my conversation with Anthony, the booking representative and it was not Anthony's fault that I was put on the wrong ship and that it was in fact my fault. Needless to say I was extremely upset and emotional. Joel would not let listen to anything I said. He continued to cut me off and made light of the other issues as well. I asked to speak with his supervisor and he informed me that he didn't have one and that the President of the Disney Corporation gave him the final call on the situation. Joel made me feel even worse about my experience and

offered me 15% off at any of the parks. We've spent a lot of money for this cruise to get the Disney experience and felt that that offer was a slap in the face.

Since we've become Disney Annual Pass Holders in November it seemed only natural that we continue with the Disney experience and take our family on a Disney Cruise. Disney has always had the reputation of being family oriented and to go above and beyond to give families a magical experience and I didn't mind paying the extra cost to get it, but we didn't get the magical experience we had hoped to share with our family.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience on DCL. That hasn't been our experience. While you did rely on the DCL Cast Member on the phone to answer all your questions, I think you really should have taken a little initiative to get some answers for yourself. On the DCL site itself are many pictures and descriptions of the ships and what each has on them. If you had done a little research here you would have found many posts having to do with the fact that the CMs on the phone may not have the correct answers all the time.

You apparently know enough to come here and post a bad review of DCL, but did you come here to do any research prior to your cruise?

Edited by Shmoo here

I didn't know anything about this site before booking a cruise. It wasn't til after the horrible experience I had. I was in my car on a road trip when I booked. I thought telling the customer service guy what I wanted he would have helped me

I didn't know anything about this site before booking a cruise. It wasn't til after the horrible experience I had. I was in my car on a road trip when I booked. I thought telling the customer service guy what I wanted he would have helped me

But certainly between the time you made the reservation and when you actually took the cruise, you had some time to at least look at the DCL website? Unless you made the reservation as you were driving to the port?

I'm guessing you were just talking to a reservation CM. They just make reservations, and many of them have never even been on a Disney ship. Much less all of them.

What you have described is a good reason to use a travel agent who specializes in DCL. There are some good agencies available on line but who also have 800 numbers and are willing to talk with you, send you info, etc. before you book. The person you talk to on the phone if you call DCL is a booking person. Sorry, but that's their job--not to offer help, etc. although they may try.

If you read the fine print on the cruises, NO character is ever guaranteed to appear. The Frozen characters have appeared sporadically, but are not yet "regulars" on the ships. You shouldn't have been mislead on this, but again, the dude on the phone just reads from his computer screen. DCL is notorious for giving wrong info on the phone!

As to the ship--NO DCL ship has a slide that goes all the way around the ship. You said you thought it might be the Magic, so he put you on the Magic. Not right, but I can see how it happened. Again, hire someone (TA) who works for YOU, not for DCL.

Your responses to the problems you reported are not typical of what we have usually experienced. I don't doubt that they happened as you reported; just that they are different from the responses we've had to issues.

Sorry that your Magical vacation was not all you wished for. I can't imagine booking a cruise on ANY line without researching the line and the ship on my own and then calling my agent and getting their input.

Posts like this always leave me skeptical. You booked a cruise without doing ANY research and then blame Disney for not knowing what you wanted? As already noted, if you need help planning a cruise that you are about to spend thousands of dollars on, a good local travel agent can help immensely. After 3 cruises on Disney, we've encountered none of the issues that you did. :confused:

First, sorry it stunk..for whatever reason. I will say that folks on this board can't always assume that all people are "research" savy. When planning a trip, I have used Google Street View to see my hotels location, etc. I think the planning is almost as fun as the trip. However, I know quite a few people who are lucky they can check email.

So, yes it would have helped this person to use a TA and it would not have happened to me. Life is full of lessons and we have another here.

A couple of issues here...

First, it was clear the Disney rep could have been better. That doesn't mean doing your own research is not a good practice to follow, ALWAYS confirm what a phone rep says. I'll give him a pass on the characters because very possibly at the time you booked, what he said may have been true and then changed, But he should have been aware of the features.

The issue with room cleaning was and should be unacceptable. It's one thing for the steward to miss something, its another to say its fixed and its not.

The kitchen issue was unfortunately, but in a high volume operation, those things DO happen, and the chef did apologize and try to make it right, and I suspect if that was the only issue, it would have been a minor blip.

I'm not going to speak to the followup, as there's no way to know how the tone of the call went.

This is not what I have come to expect from Disney, that said, Disney is a huge corporation with thousands of customer service agents, and the law of averages means some of them will be subpar. That's not to say its right, it stinks when you get one of those.

My suggestion is to follow up with a second email, clearly stating the chain of events and asking for a response from a different supervisor.

The "final" response that the OP was given is EXACTLY what I experienced. They didn't care, and weren't going to budge.

So far, most people (especially the ones who post here and on other boards a lot) have been really lucky to have had great vacations with no problems. I always had before my incident too, and obviously I was extremely shocked and disappointed to be treated so callously, especially by Disney. I don't know if it's a matter if customer service going downhill in nearly all facets of our lives lately, or if Disney is just getting lazy.. but I believe the OP and knowing NOTHING about DCL, he/she should have been able to trust their representative to book the proper ship. Only those of us who've been around a while know we can't trust the reservation reps. But that in itself is a sincere deficit on Disney's part.

We pay more, we should expect more. At least that's what the cheerleaders are always saying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Actually, Loonbeam, a friend of mine just left her part time position as a DCL phone rep, and they do NOT have thousands of them. Less than 100...far, far less. And there's ALWAYS a supervisor available, if the CM can't answer a question.

What you have described is a good reason to use a travel agent who specializes in DCL. There are some good agencies available on line but who also have 800 numbers and are willing to talk with you' date=' send you info, etc. before you book. The person you talk to on the phone if you call DCL is a booking person. Sorry, but that's their job--not to offer help, etc. although they may try.

If you read the fine print on the cruises, NO character is ever guaranteed to appear. The Frozen characters have appeared sporadically, but are not yet "regulars" on the ships. You shouldn't have been mislead on this, but again, the dude on the phone just reads from his computer screen. DCL is notorious for giving wrong info on the phone!

As to the ship--NO DCL ship has a slide that goes all the way around the ship. You said you thought it might be the Magic, so he put you on the Magic. Not right, but I can see how it happened. Again, hire someone (TA) who works for YOU, not for DCL.

Your responses to the problems you reported are not typical of what we have usually experienced. I don't doubt that they happened as you reported; just that they are different from the responses we've had to issues.

Sorry that your Magical vacation was not all you wished for. I can't imagine booking a cruise on ANY line without researching the line and the ship on my own and then calling my agent and getting their input.[/quote']

First, sorry it stunk..for whatever reason. I will say that folks on this board can't always assume that all people are "research" savy. When planning a trip, I have used Google Street View to see my hotels location, etc. I think the planning is almost as fun as the trip. However, I know quite a few people who are lucky they can check email.

So, yes it would have helped this person to use a TA and it would not have happened to me. Life is full of lessons and we have another here.

I agree with these posts.

The pants in the room shouldn't occur the stateroom host is at fault assume a tight turnaround day but still not an excuse and DCL tried to make that up with gifts, once an issue is reported it needs to be sorted quickly, that could have been corrected in a minutiae or two.

Food, again shouldn't occur, did occur with mass catering it can happen they did what they could to correct.

Two bad expires cues.

Lastly I partly understand the rest, there was a presumption here on a couple of posts that you should do more research and also there are forums to read and ask questions.

And the presumptions are wrong as only a very small percentage of cruisers actually go to and ask questions on forums like this. Not everyone does it, and many still do not have accessible Internet or the desire or time to use it.

Then even if people find their way to a site they rely on the answers of others who may be wrong, there are the few who post replies but haven't personally expires coed it, never been on that DHIP or haven't cruised for a few years on DCL, so even undertaking research might prove or disprove nothing.

DCL however does have brochures and I agree for a big vacation the use of a good TA will help.

But if you called DCL and spoke to one of their staff and they informed you incorrectly and that can be proven then you have a good complaint. There are No excuses on that, they must train their staff to answer correctly, the indus is Not for you to undertake other investigations you should be able to rely on the official response rather than checking and rechecking everywhere.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

I too am sorry that your experience did not live up to your expectations, and that the response you received was unacceptable. We once experienced an emergency during a visit to DW and the response and follow-up by managment was very disappointing. I agree that you should try to follow up again, perhaps with a certified letter.

I have dealt with a number of reps from a number of idfferent cruisleines and I find the Disney Cruiseline reps noticeably lacking when it comes to knowledge, helpfulness and courtesy. Something we have never encountered during personal contact with CMs.

That being said, now that you have some excellent advice about using these boards and a TA you might want to look into another cruise (maybe even with a different line). Sounds like you did your best to ensure that your girls still had a good time.

We have been DVC members for 19 years (with many, many trips to WDW & Disneyland) and been on 9 DCL cruises. Within the last five years, we have seen the prices rise dramatically and the product and service decline at the same rate.

The bottom line: the OP has extremely legitimate complaints and Disney consistently dropped the customer service ball, including final resolution. There are some who will give Disney a pass for anything; if you purchase a defective product at inflated prices from any corporation (not to mention one with record profits), you have the right to satisfaction. In our experience, Disney no longer sees satisfaction as a part of their corporate values.

Edited by vakamalua

I agree prices go up and service is falling, and if you call a CM on the phone they represent the business and they commit the business to what THRY say, however sometimes on calls things can be misunderstood, the decor of the kids clubs might be confused with the decor in the room.

Now to say anyone booking a cruise must research it on cruise forums is wrong, very very wrong, it's opinions on forums and not the official line.

There are people who post their thoughts but without personal experience and based on search and cut and paste of other reports, the perception is everyone should use Internet forums but only a few do.

Here service levels in the stateroom cleaning, the meal and on the phone seem to be below par, yes to balance DCL has tried to make offers and amends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If they only have that number for a business the size and complexity of DCL that's an issue right there. And in this case it appears to be the supervisor who was the worse problem on the followup.

Actually, Loonbeam, a friend of mine just left her part time position as a DCL phone rep, and they do NOT have thousands of them. Less than 100...far, far less. And there's ALWAYS a supervisor available, if the CM can't answer a question.

If they only have that number for a business the size and complexity of DCL that's an issue right there. And in this case it appears to be the supervisor who was the worse problem on the followup.

Fully agree.

I recall once being at the Polynesian and from the DCL desk there they called DCL in Celebration, they said there were only three staff in at that time, it was 8am but a day of a cruise.

Sent from my iPad.

Sounds like a bunch of crap. Who cruises WITHOUT doing research. Once you pay for your DCL, you get information in the mail; emails; etc.. You realized that you booked the wrong ship, when you arrive at the port? Really? A SOS pad on the plate? How? The dishes are not washed by hand. A few years ago, I spoke with Joel regarding handicapped accessibility (for those that are mobile) for the Aqua Duck. He was very nice and understanding. Not to disregard the OP, but besides the underpants, I find the rest of the experience difficult to believe.

Actually the SOS pad is easy to explain. They don't use them to clean the plates, they use them to clean the grills, griddles and other cooking implements. Its not hard for a piece to get stuck in a corner or just fall off unnoticed, especially if dirty and then get picked up with a spatula or something.

That kind of thing falls under 'it happens', and I think was handled correctly.

And he/she did research. She called an employee of the line she wanted to travel, who honestly should be familiar with the features of the ships at the time of the call (at the very least should know about the difference between the AquaDuck and AquaDunk, etc). That's research. It's a fair criticism for not doing some followup, but that's not the same. It's not like (as far as I can tell) he/she called up and said 'I want the magic for these dates' booked and hung up in which case the onus would be completely on the passenger.

Without hearing the actual call, we have no idea what was said or not said, there is always some miscommunication, but based on the original posts, it certainly sounds as if there was room for improvement.

To the OP, a takeaway from this should be, for ANY vacation, research if you can before you book, preferably independently, and once booked and confirmed, always do some additional research to make sure you got what you thought you wanted. Even great customer service agents make mistakes (my excellent TA booked me on the wrong air route once - she typed in SNA instead of SAN and the pricing was close enough I didn't notice until the confirmation arrived).. And finally understand that especially with cruises and other vacations where you book often very far in advance, things can and will change and they may not reach out to you. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard people at Disney screaming at a cast member that ride X was closed and how dare they not tell anyone - Disney and many other sites post all their ride referb schedules).

Sounds like a bunch of crap. Who cruises WITHOUT doing research. Once you pay for your DCL, you get information in the mail; emails; etc.. You realized that you booked the wrong ship, when you arrive at the port? Really? A SOS pad on the plate? How? The dishes are not washed by hand. A few years ago, I spoke with Joel regarding handicapped accessibility (for those that are mobile) for the Aqua Duck. He was very nice and understanding. Not to disregard the OP, but besides the underpants, I find the rest of the experience difficult to believe.
Edited by Loonbeam

Some people are not as computer saavy as others. My grown niece wanted to take her family on a Disney cruise, and other than calling DCL or getting a travel agent, she had no idea where to start.

The travel agents in my town sell all kinds of vacations....tons of them. They know less about Disney cruising than I did after I took my first Disney cruise. Other than maybe (and that's a big maybe) AAA, the only "Disney" travel agents I know live scattered around the country, or there's the one who's connected with another discussion board, but a lot of people don't have very good luck in contacting them. Another TA who's pretty Disney saavy most people wouldn't even know about, if they weren't otherwise connected and managed to meet this person. And even with them, you get far better treatment if you're one of their repeat clients.

I'm sorry, but I don't see telling someone that they should have had a knowlegeable TA....they're hard to find.

Calling DCL directly SHOULD HAVE BEEN the best thing for a new cruiser to do. It's just sad, with all the money Disney makes, that they can't ensure their CM's have all of the answers.

Some people are not as computer saavy as others. My grown niece wanted to take her family on a Disney cruise, and other than calling DCL or getting a travel agent, she had no idea where to start.

The travel agents in my town sell all kinds of vacations....tons of them. They know less about Disney cruising than I did after I took my first Disney cruise. Other than maybe (and that's a big maybe) AAA, the only "Disney" travel agents I know live scattered around the country, or there's the one who's connected with another discussion board, but a lot of people don't have very good luck in contacting them. Another TA who's pretty Disney saavy most people wouldn't even know about, if they weren't otherwise connected and managed to meet this person. And even with them, you get far better treatment if you're one of their repeat clients.

I'm sorry, but I don't see telling someone that they should have had a knowlegeable TA....they're hard to find.

Calling DCL directly SHOULD HAVE BEEN the best thing for a new cruiser to do. It's just sad, with all the money Disney makes, that they can't ensure their CM's have all of the answers.

Generally Agree bar the TA bit there are a few good DCL TAs there easy to find by recommendation and by the Internet.

Sent from my iPad.

Generally Agree bar the TA bit there are a few good DCL TAs there easy to find by recommendation and by the Internet.

Sent from my iPad.

Very true.....but like I said, in my niece's case, she had no connections at all....and how do you go about making sure you have a "good" TA on an internet search? She didn't know the DIS or Cruise Critic existed.

Our problem....those of us who travel a lot....is that we DO already know where to look. But imagine someone who has never done anything more than camping trips or a weekend at Adventureland......:confused:

Adventureland, by the way, is a little amusement park in Des Moines, Iowa.:rolleyes:

Edited by MizDaisy

Very true.....but like I said, in my niece's case, she had no connections at all....and how do you go about making sure you have a "good" TA on an internet search? She didn't know the DIS or Cruise Critic existed.

Our problem....those of us who travel a lot....is that we DO already know where to look. But imagine someone who has never done anything more than camping trips or a weekend at Adventureland......:confused:

Adventureland, by the way, is a little amusement park in Des Moines, Iowa.:rolleyes:

Just type in Specialised DCL travel agent you will get them.

Sent from my iPad.

The problem with finding a great TA is that they are not the ones who operate the chat web sites, and many of the boards do not allow discussion of specific TAs on their sites. I suspect that one site in particular is afraid of the competition (not this site!)

However, with a little effort, it isn't that difficult to find the good one(s). And a few savvy questions should weed out the "also rans." For instance--do you have a real office building?, (not a group of peeps on their smart phones). Have you actually been on at least one of the classic ships and one of the new ships? Do you have an 800 number that I can call and really talk to you? What happens if you are not working and I need something? (the right answer here is that we are all on salary and everyone in the office is here to help you!) Have you completed the on line Disney training as well as the in person classes? How long have you been a travel agent/how long have you worked for this agency?

Remember that you are hiring both the agency and the agent. Make sure you are happy with both.

Maybe I'm strange, but I don't do business with anyone, send my kid to a program supervised by someone, or basically anything else without checking them out. That includes selecting a travel agent/agency and a cruise line/ship. Now, after they have proven themselves, I'll take their word for "due diligence." For instance, if my TA recommends an excursion, I'll trust that recommendation.

Just type in Specialised DCL travel agent you will get them.

Sent from my iPad.

I just did that....I got a long list of potential agents, including some that I had horrible personal experience with. Remember to check out the one you think looks good!

I just did that....I got a long list of potential agents' date=' including some that I had horrible personal experience with. Remember to check out the one you think looks good![/quote']

Thus the problem with doing a search on the internet.

I also wouldn't try to find a doctor that way. :p