Constellation Baltics Trip Report and Lots of Pictures!

Cindy

Better late than never, I’m finally ready to start posting my trip report from our Baltic cruise on the Constellation in May. I have no excuse for my tardiness, other than to say life and wading through almost 3,000 pictures stood in the way of progress!:rolleyes: Most of this was quickly written as we went, but beware, I’ll be editing and elaborating before I post, and I’m not known for being a woman of few words!:o

This was a FANTASTIC trip that had a rather unfortunate beginning. We were supposed to take our first Celebrity cruise on the Millennium (Pacific Coastal) last September, but that plan came to a screeching halt about the same time as the ship came to a prolonged stop in Ketchikan three weeks before we were scheduled to sail. The powers that be decided the Millie needed pod surgery at a dry dock on the other side of the continent – in the Bahamas – and off she went with no passengers and a lot of disappointment in her wake. My first order of business when that happened was to salvage that vacation, which we did by taking a HAL cruise to Alaska. That also started a domino effect because it meant we would not be cruising to Alaska on the Solstice this summer as planned.

Not what you want to see in your inbox…

Celebrity Millennium Sailing September 13, 2013

TO: Cindy

Please click here to acknowledge receipt of this message

The following is a message from the Royal Caribbean International Emergency Notification System...

Hello, this is Celebrity Cruises. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your upcoming sailing onboard Celebrity Millennium. Unfortunately, due to the time needed to make unscheduled repairs to the ship, it is necessary to cancel your sailing. We are deeply sorry for this unexpected development in your upcoming vacation. For more information, please call us at 1-888-281-9343.

So…to make a long story short (who am I kidding, I don’t know how to make a story short!) we started looking for a replacement cruise. Talk about all over the map! We were thinking about Iceland, Norway, Croatia, and even looked at Black Sea before we decided this Baltic cruise was at a perfect time and perfect price for us. I’m sure glad we decided against Black Sea, or my second Celebrity cruise attempt might have been messed up, this time courtesy of Mr. Putin! So, with my mom in agreement (she was supposed to go on the Pacific Coastal with us and would also be receiving a voucher) and my 19 year-old niece along for the ride, we booked this cruise and I started planning.

Aah…research and planning. I just love it!:D It’s almost as much fun as the event! We had an active roll call which I thought was really helpful in arranging tours and activities, especially since this was my first time to cruise in Europe and my first time on Celebrity. We also shared packing tips, but I obviously had nothing meaningful to add to that conversation as evidenced by the overabundance of stuff I hauled across the pond with me, and the $100 I had to pay United for the privilege of taking a third suitcase!:p But back to planning – I decided to try my hand at creating a website…it was a lot of fun, and people really used it to find tours, transfers, hotels, etc. It was also a LOT of work! I don’t think I’d do a cruise specific website again, but I am toying with the idea of converting the site to a personal travel blog/photo site. I just have to decide if I’d keep up with it, or it would end up out of date and yesterday’s news, much like this review!

Screen-Capture-Web-L.jpg

Next up…it’s FINALLY time to leave for our first Celebrity cruise!

Can't wait to read your review, Cindy. I was bragging on your website in another post a couple of days ago. :)

PS - If it makes you feel any better, I had to pay an extra $100 on our return flight because my suitcase weighed more on the way home. 2lbs. :rolleyes:

Edited by Iamthesea

Sunday, May 18 – Tick – Tock – Tick – Tock…in case you’re wondering, that’s the sound of time slowly creeping along. I’m known for not sleeping well the night(s) before we travel, but the day we left for Amsterdam was beyond ridiculous. I woke up at 2:30 and COULD NOT go back to sleep! Instead of sugarplums dancing in my head, I had visions of getting separated from the group in Russia and spending time in the gulag! Seriously – if it could go wrong, I was worried about it, and my fretting seemed to manifest itself in the middle of the night.

I wish waking up at 2:30 meant I slept on the plane, but I’m not known for my ability to sleep, or even sit still for more than about 5 minutes on a plane. If you want a picture of what my overseas flights look like, think movies, dozens of trips to the bathroom looking longingly at the snoring passengers, and a falling-down tired Cindy by the time we get to the other side of the Atlantic!

We left the house at about noon as planned, and had absolutely no problems checking in. As a matter of fact, it was the fastest, most pleasant check-in I’ve experienced since the Continental-United merger. The flight crew was also very personable and helpful. Maybe somebody at United has finally decided that snarling at passengers doesn’t contribute to a pleasant travel experience.!

We were awfully early, so we went and killed some time in the United Club before we went to the gate. There really isn’t much else to say – the flight was on time, it was uneventful, and alas it was completely full. We were in Economy Plus, but even that extra 6 inches doesn’t matter much to me on a long flight. I’m good for about 6 hours, and then I’m done, and I painfully watch the clock until it’s time to get off!

10404061_10202224967250548_841413200630017534_n-2W-L.jpg

Thankfully, immigration in Amsterdam was about as fast and efficient as it can be. Once we gathered our luggage we headed out and were met by a driver from Super Shuttle (arranged in advance with other passengers from our roll call).

We stayed at the Amsterdam Canal Hotel, which I found on the internet. We had reservations for two nights before the cruise and one night when we got back to Amsterdam. There were some things we enjoyed very much, but there were also some problems. I had made reservations 8 months in advance for two ground floor rooms, and had confirmed the reservations in writing the week before our trip.

The main problem we had was that the hotel initially said they couldn't honor my reservation for a ground floor room for my mom and niece. Mom is 82 and can't navigate extremely steep stairs without difficulty. This was eventually sorted out, but I had some very anxious moments at the end of about 14 hours of travel when I thought I was going to have to find a different hotel. I will say having my computer with me, and thus having a copy of ALL my communications with the hotel saved the day!

DSC01970W-L.jpg

While we were waiting for the reservation problems to be resolved, we went downstairs to the breakfast room and got some coffee and fruit...not much, just something to nibble on while we waited. I was a bit taken aback when the receptionist came downstairs, saw us, and informed us we shouldn't be eating until the next day. Really? I'm sitting here waiting for my long-standing reservations to be straightened out after travelling all night, and you're commenting on my cup of coffee and fruit? It just rubbed me the wrong way, probably because at that point I was tired and cranky, to say nothing of worried about the room for my mom. OK, you don’t want me to eat, I’ll just go sit outside – this took care of the stress really quickly!

10341748_10202228203571454_2607363552411385189_nCOPY-2W-L.jpg

On a side note, we talked with a gentleman the next evening whose reservation had been lost...and the hotel was full. He was patiently waiting outside on the patio for the hotel staff to find him a room in Amsterdam. That's just not what you want to deal with after arriving from an international flight! Everybody who works at the hotel was extremely pleasant, but the reservation problems indicate to me they have some technical issues they need to work out.

The other thing I thought was a bit misleading was calling our room (Room 5) a Canal "View" Room. Yes, it was on the canal side of the hotel, but unless I was standing at the foot of the bed, there was certainly not a view of anything but the sky! The windows in the room are more like large portholes than windows. One is quite high on the wall and is the only one that opens, one is over the head of the bed, and one is very low in the bed alcove.

Even though we didn't have a view, we were thankful to be on the canal side -- it was much quieter (aside from the construction on the expansion next door), and it seemed much cooler than the room on the street side of the building.

The-Amsterdam-Canal-Hotel-photos-Room-2-L.jpg

The bed was in a tiny alcove. The view of the canal was out the window over the bed.

10372798_10202319725139436_5070096396364941334_nW-L.jpg

A window that opens was located high on the wall.

DSC01971W-L.jpg

View out the high side window.

Our room was small (as expected), and the bed was incredibly comfortable. Other things we liked were the shower with a rainshower head, and the pleasant, contemporary decor. The included breakfast was ample, tasty, and well-presented in a nice room downstairs. The location was reasonably convenient. Although it was a bit out of the city center, there was a tram stop very close to the hotel, and we had no problems getting around.

I would have liked to see a mirror near the desk -- the only mirror anywhere near an electrical outlet was in the bathroom, and I found it very difficult to do my hair in the bathroom as there was no place to put anything. I ended up using my computer screen as a mirror to dry and flat-iron my hair!

In all, we enjoyed our stay, but we would also consider other small hotels if/when we return to Amsterdam.

:confused: Amsterdam photos...where? :confused:

Coming right up! You can also click on any picture and it will take you to the whole album, and from there you can see the whole cruise. I posted an album for each day/city.

Thankfully the room problem got sorted out after about 30 minutes, and we were actually able to stash our luggage in our room and freshen up before we headed out even though the room hadn’t been made up yet. Our goal when we fly international is always to stay up as long as we can, so we jumped on an offer from roll call members to join them on a walking tour with That Dam Guide in the afternoon. We headed out walking in the general direction of Dam Square, with plenty of time to explore and grab lunch before our tour.

IMG_9374-2W-L.jpg

Canal near the hotel.

IMG_9376W-L.jpg

Yes, there are many little crooked houses in Amsterdam!

IMG_9385-2W-L.jpg

We came across a floating market and thought it looked interesting...and it was!

IMG_9388W-L.jpg

They sold all kinds of flowers...

IMG_9392W-L.jpg

bulbs to grow your own...

IMG_9390W-L.jpg

and seeds if flowers aren't your thing!

IMG_9401W-L.jpg

Tulips were everywhere -- flowers, bulbs, and on magnets, t-shirts, pictures, mugs, etc. Definitely a hot souvenir!

IMG_9407W-L.jpg

Jim acting silly part 1.

IMG_9409W-L.jpg

Floating market from the other end. The barge type boat on the left side of the canal is a bicycle parking lot.

IMG_9413-2W-L.jpg

More little crooked houses.

IMG_9536W-L.jpg

Bikes and flowers are everywhere!

Edited by Cindy

Mark's (That Dam Guide) walking tour was a great start to our trip and allowed us to see some sights that aren't in the tour books...quirky little enclaves of houses, a “coffee” shop, the Red Light District, and numerous back streets and alleys that weren't filled with throngs of tourists...perfect! I'm pretty adventurous when I'm exploring, but I never would have thought to take some of the turns Mark took, and without him I would have missed some charming sights!

IMG_9481W-L.jpg

Mark -- That Dam Guide

IMG_9440W-L.jpg

Oude Kerk -- The Old Church towers over the Red Light District. We learned a lot about prostitution and marijuana use in the Netherlands, and found we had a lot of misconceptions and false assumptions.

IMG_9438W-L.jpg

The Red Light District isn't as busy during the day, but I still found it sad and somewhat seedy.

IMG_9441W-L.jpg

Everything you need for the evening in one short block!

IMG_9446W-L.jpg

I loved these houses...the wall of the house is the wall of the canal.

Coming right up! You can also click on any picture and it will take you to the whole album, and from there you can see the whole cruise. I posted an album for each day/city.

Ah...clicking on photos. That's how he saw them. ;)

I can already tell that I will get behind in this review. We are leaving for our beach trip this weekend. I'll try to read some while we are away, but typically do not use the net while there.

Keep up the good work. Loving it and the photos. :)

Mark is passionate about his adopted city, and he's a masterful storyteller who knows the history of the city and the people who shaped Amsterdam. There were just four of us on our tour, on a beautiful May afternoon, and we enjoyed ourselves so much we ended up extending the day through a light dinner and drinks at Anslos Hofje in the Jordaan. It was a perfect way to spend our first day in Europe, and as a bonus it kept us awake until an almost reasonable hour to go back to our hotel and get some sleep!

IMG_9456-2W-L.jpg

IMG_9469W-L.jpg

IMG_9519W-L.jpg

Bikes are personalized, they are everywhere, and they don't yield to pedestrians!

IMG_9462W-L.jpg

The Green Place Coffee Shop

IMG_9489W-L.jpg

The Gray Area Coffee Shop

IMG_9471W-L.jpg

Shop next door to the Gray Area

I highly recommend Mark's tour as an introduction to Amsterdam, or just as an alternative to all the museums and crowded tourist attractions.

A few more...

IMG_9513-2W-L.jpg

IMG_9517-2W-L.jpg

IMG_9484-2W-L.jpg

We learned that homeowners used to be taxed based on the width of their home, which is why there are so many very narrow houses. The pulley systems on the roofs of most houses are to bring in furniture or appliances that won't fit up the stairs.

IMG_9464-2W-L.jpg

IMG_9526W-L.jpg

IMG_9538W-L.jpg

Ah...clicking on photos. That's how he saw them. ;)

I can already tell that I will get behind in this review. We are leaving for our beach trip this weekend. I'll try to read some while we are away, but typically do not use the net while there.

Keep up the good work. Loving it and the photos. :)

Have fun, and hopefully I will have made some progress when you get home!:rolleyes:

Loving your review -- the photos are dazzling! We are booked on the Eclipse for Northern Europe next summer (actually one year exactly from today!) and I'm eating up all the reviews and info. Like you, the planning is my idea of fun.

BTW, I have a daughter who's going to be a high school senior next year and has her heart set on A&M.

JoAnn

Tuesday, May 20 – We had two touristy things on our agenda for the day. The first was a tour of the Anne Frank House when it opened at 9:00, and the second was a canal cruise in the afternoon after my mom and niece arrived. We used a combination of tram and walking to get to the Anne Frank House, and we discovered that the trains really do run on time and Amsterdam is a very easy city for tourists to navigate…as long as you’re aware of the cyclists!

IMG_9548W-L.jpg

Be VERY careful crossing the street in Amsterdam! Whether it's the law or not, bikes definitely have the right of way!

I had debated skipping the Anne Frank House, because I had read so many reports of endless lines, crowds, and a sterile environment. I’m glad I trusted my instincts and went…I would have been very sorry to miss it, especially since I taught The Diary of Anne Frank for many years when I worked in a middle school. We purchased tickets in advance, and were the first ones in the museum when it opened, so we were able to read and reflect on everything without feeling pushed from behind or like we were lagging.

I was very moved and somewhat overwhelmed by my visit to the Anne Frank House. I thought the displays were tasteful, and there were enough pictures and diagrams to TRY to imagine what life was like for the frightened people hiding in the Secret Annex. It was a very sobering and moving reminder of the past, the hopes and dreams of a young girl, and a very dark period in history.

Photography is forbidden inside the Anne Frank House, and out of respect for those who lived there and ultimately paid for their religion and heritage with their lives, I honored the ban although I did see others sneaking pictures. I purchased a few postcards, and scanned the ones I thought were the most interesting to supplement my photographs.

IMG_9543W-L.jpg

Anne-Frank-House-L.jpg

10308301_10202234050437622_2397425947224446024_nW-L.jpg

Anne-Frank-House----Post-War-Photographs-L.jpg

Cut-Away-View----Anne-Frank-House-L.jpg

The Secret Annex is the part of the house on the right in this cut-away view.

This is Anne's first diary. She filled many books during her years in hiding.

Anne%27s-Diary-L.jpg

The bookcase is in a fixed open position now, but you still pass through the hidden opening to access the very steep stairs to the annex.

Bookcase-L.jpg

The Anne Frank House today.

IMG_9558W-L.jpg

Beyond the Anne Frank house on Prinsengracht, you can see the steeple of Westerkerk (West Church). The church bells were one of Anne's connections with the world outside the Secret Annex.

IMG_9542W-L.jpg

Loving your review -- the photos are dazzling! We are booked on the Eclipse for Northern Europe next summer (actually one year exactly from today!) and I'm eating up all the reviews and info. Like you, the planning is my idea of fun.

BTW, I have a daughter who's going to be a high school senior next year and has her heart set on A&M.

JoAnn

Cindy really enjoying your review. :)

Thanks! I'm going to attempt to finish day 2 this morning!:rolleyes:

We arrived back at the hotel around 11:00, and thankfully we found my mom and my niece Jess had safely arrived and had freshened up and were ready to explore. We never could get any definitive restaurant recommendations from the hotel staff – just a wave of the hand in “that direction,” so we headed off in “that direction” until we found a place that had quiet outside seating and a lunch menu. We ate at a tiny café called Café Marcella – very unmemorable but not bad – and then went straight to our Blue Boat Canal Tour.

We enjoyed the boat ride very much. I had chosen that company because they offered the commentary on headsets so you could listen in the language of your choice. The only problem with that was if I wanted to sit outside, which I did because the weather was GORGEOUS, then you had no commentary at all. Oh well, it was still a beautiful and relaxing way to spend the afternoon!

IMG_9560W-L.jpg

Jim acting silly part 2!

IMG_9644-2W-L.jpg

The Blue Boat Canal Tours are located across from the Hard Rock near the Museum District.

IMG_9551-2W-L.jpg

The houseboats are very colorful, and many of them have gardens.

IMG_9582-2W-L.jpg

IMG_9625W-L.jpg

IMG_9621-2W-L.jpg

IMG_9616-2W-L.jpg

This is Montelbaanstoren Tower – The original tower (bottom half) was built for defense of the city in 1516, and the decorative top half was built in 1606.

IMG_9632W-L.jpg

Old flood gates -- controlling the water was and is critical to Amsterdam and most of the region.

IMG_9636-2W-L.jpg

The Amstel Hotel -- Beautiful, but out of my budget!

IMG_9639-2W-L.jpg

IMG_9643W-L.jpg

There were tons of small boats giving tours. We enjoyed our boat ride, but if we were going to do it again, I'd look for something like this and have a very small group. It would have been nice to be able to customize the ride and slow down/stop for things that looked interesting.

After a nap for everybody, we hopped back on the tram to go to dinner. I had made reservations at a Dutch restaurant called The Pantry based on Trip Advisor reviews. I wanted to experience some “typical” Dutch cuisine, and this restaurant delivered! We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at the Pantry. It was a tiny restaurant that served tasty food in very ample portions, and our service was friendly and helpful. I highly recommend this restaurant for anyone who wants a traditional Dutch meal in Amsterdam!

DSC01584W2-L.jpg

Jess and Mom before dinner.

DSC01586W-L.jpg

The street the restaurant was on.

DSC01594W-L.jpg

DSC01588W-L.jpg

Wednesday, May 21 – Let’s Cruise!

I woke up Wednesday morning refreshed, excited, and apprehensive. Why apprehensive? Let’s see…we were about to board a ship on a line we’d never cruised on in a cabin that was no more than half the size we’re used to with a new-to-us dining arrangement for 12 nights. I had also spent WAY too much time on Cruise Critic reading numerous negative comments about Celebrity in the days leading up to our cruise. Nevertheless, nervous or not, it was cruise day and I was ready to go!

We got picked up at 10:30 by Super Shuttle, and I thought the whole check-in processs was fairly quick and easy. I didn’t pay close attention to what time we boarded, but I think we were parked outside at the Sunset Bar by about 11:30.

CCS-140521-Boarding-3406251_GLW-L.jpg

My first impressions were positive, and those never changed. I thought the ship was very clean and well maintained, and I liked the modern, understated décor. For the most part it was easy to get around, and a great size for this itinerary. All four of us thought the staff and crew -- from the captain to our cabin attendants -- were phenomenal. Overall they were the best, most personable, and friendliest crew of any ship we’ve been on!

Constellation-Sttaff-L.jpg

About 1:30 the cabins opened – aah, the moment of truth. We were in 1138, one of the aft-facing AQ cabins on Deck 11, and Jim and I were about to discover whether we’d still like each other at the end of the trip. We’ve been getting Junior/Mini Suites since 2005, and for the last 4+ years all our cruises have been in full suites, so this was going to be different for us. My first thought was SQUEEZE! but once we unpacked and got everything put away it was fine, especially on such a port-intensive itinerary. I would have preferred a cabinet to the open shelves beside the desk, but that’s because I don’t like to look at clutter. We moved the coffee table to the side and that made the cabin seem more spacious, and the big balcony gave us the illusion of space.

IMG_6224W-L.jpg

IMG_6226W-L.jpg

We LOVED the shower, but as reported by others the doors don't seal properly and the body jets were also floor jets!

IMG_6228W-L.jpg

IMG_6107W-L.jpg