Tender to Great Stirrup Cay

musicman85

Sorry if this is a repeated question, but the tenders to Great Stirrup Cay, they aren't the traditional tenders which are the lifeboats from the ship right? I've seen pictures and they look like open air seating with two levels.

Thanks in advance!

the tenders to Great Stirrup Cay, they aren't the traditional tenders which are the lifeboats from the ship right?

They are not life boats, but already decommissioned ship's (SS Norway) own tenders from an era when not all ports of call had tenders and actual life boats weren't that useful for that purpose.

Interesting thing about them is that they are both registered as independent vessels, from Wikipedia:

These tenders were named Little Norway I and Little Norway II, and were each themselves registered as ships, making the Norway the only passenger ship in the world to carry ships.

More detailed info about MS Little Norway I and MS Little Norway II here:

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/ncl/ss-norway/ss-norway---little-norway.html

I have not been to GSC in over 5-6 years, was under the impression that NCL was spending millions upgrading the place...???Also thought that a pier was part of the planned expansion...???So really whats changed...???or not...???used to be able to do some nice snorkeling off the beach for free with your own equipment, can you still...???(vest rentals of course..)

Thanks,

Rob

I have not been to GSC in over 5-6 years, was under the impression that NCL was spending millions upgrading the place...???Also thought that a pier was part of the planned expansion...???So really whats changed...???or not...???used to be able to do some nice snorkeling off the beach for free with your own equipment, can you still...???(vest rentals of course..)

Thanks,

Rob

Yes, we were just there in May, brought (and used) our own snorkel gear.

They are not life boats, but already decommissioned ship's (SS Norway) own tenders from an era when not all ports of call had tenders and actual life boats weren't that useful for that purpose.

Interesting thing about them is that they are both registered as independent vessels, from Wikipedia:

These tenders were named Little Norway I and Little Norway II, and were each themselves registered as ships, making the Norway the only passenger ship in the world to carry ships.

More detailed info about MS Little Norway I and MS Little Norway II here:

http://www.captainsvoyage.com/ncl/ss-norway/ss-norway---little-norway.html

Cute, but not quite accurate, though interesting PR. Just because a vessel is registered, does not make it a ship. There are hundreds of thousands of boats that are registered with their flag country, and have their own call letters. Besides, during WWII, hundreds of LST ships would routinely carry a LCT boat onboard for ocean transport.

Thanks,

Rob

They did build a pier, it is for the tenders. You can snorkel to your hearts content with your own gear.

I have not been to GSC in over 5-6 years, was under the impression that NCL was spending millions upgrading the place...???Also thought that a pier was part of the planned expansion...???So really whats changed...???

The pier is done and there is definitely some other construction going on. It looked like some kind of waterslide or lazy river type ride being dug.

a5316cc9864bb70b4c9d02f19b643c50.jpg this is the dock that the ferries come into. ffcb0ec947f212b33be1948a493f0481.jpg price list for GSC when Sky was there June 1st. Price may change with other ships. 3d806f6d9a8029140aa6ff426ffe3baa.jpg. We loved this port! Hope you have an amazing time.

Thank you very much, just the kind of information I was looking for...

Rob

Besides, during WWII, hundreds of LST ships would routinely carry a LCT boat onboard for ocean transport.

LST ships can hardly be described as passenger ships though, the claim is "...the only passenger ship in the world...".