Express Docs and Gala Night

sapete

So far I haven’t gotten involved in the Formal vs. Gala night discussion, but since my Express docs became available today I thought I ‘d add my two cents to the on-going parsing.

(Full disclosure, I stopped taking a jacket and tie with me in 2011 and avoided the MDR for formal nights since. DW and I dressed “smart casual” all nights and dine in either the Lido or Cannaletto past nights. We plan to do the same in September.)

Some on this board have said that it’s not what’s on the website it’s what in the express /boarding documents.

My Express docs show on the boarding pass (page 1): Dress Code: 2 Formal and 5 Smart Casual Nights.

Under Shipboard Life in the docs (page 15) you will find:

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops should be left to daytime and poolside. Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate; collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts. Formal wear for gentlemen can be pre-ordered for use during your cruise by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 1-800-551-5091 or (305) 252-6565. For more information please visit cruiselineformal.com. Your formal wear will be in your stateroom when you board.

From the website under the For Booked Guests FAQs:

Is there a dress code?:

Evening Dress

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Gala Attire or Smart Casual. Most evenings, Smart Casual is appropriate and can be defined as slacks and sports shirts or sweater for men and a skirt or trousers and sweater or blouse for women. Shorts, flip-flops, swimwear, distressed jeans and men's tank tops are best left to daytime and the poolside.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. Jacket and tie are appropriate for gentlemen, while ladies wear a cocktail dress or gown. On Grand Voyages, many gentlemen choose formal attire. Formalwear for gentlemen can be pre-ordered for use during your cruise by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 1-800-551-5091 or (305) 252-6565. For more information, please visit cruiselineformal.com. Your formalwear will be in your stateroom when you board.

Definition of appropriate:

From Google: suitable or proper in the circumstances.

synonyms: suitable, proper, fitting, apt, right;

relevant, pertinent, apposite;

convenient, opportune;

seemly

From Miriam-Webster.com: especially suitable or compatible: Fitting: : right or suited for some purpose or situation.

I can find nowhere other than one word on the boarding pass and in the “pitch” to rent a tux is the word formal mentioned. The Express docs, although still saying that jacket and tie are appropriate (see definitions), say that for all restaurants (other than on the Lido) collared shirts and slacks are required. The request that people “remain dressed through the evenings” is completely gone in any location. The Express docs have no mention of Ladies’ dress for any evening.

Based on this, I believe that HAL rapidly moving or is already, out of the “dress code” business and that “smart casual” is the minimum required for all evenings throughout the ship. The phrase “jacket and tie are appropriate” is a “bridge” from the old paradigm to a new 21st century one.

So dress how you like—throw on a coat and tie if you want, it’s collars and slacks below the Lido, keep the holes out of your jeans, your knees covered, and your flip-flops out of the moonlight.;)

Just one cruiser’s opinion, YMMV.

Gala is black tie and sparkly gowns. It has always meant that. I suspect they went with jacket and tie for men instead of tuxes to keep up with the trends. Tuxes look best among cocktail dresses and gowns. A beautiful sight.

I agree with you on the classic definition of Gala dress. In HAL's case though, I don't think that applies. In the change from Formal to Gala HAL did not replace tux/formal with jacket and tie, they removed tux/formal. Formal attire for men is only address (on the website) in respect to Grand Voyages only and then only stating that men may choose to dress formally. If they are going with the trend it's the trend of dress for mass-market lines moving to a more casual appearance. IMHO only:D

DH has decided to take his summer dinner jacket (white) with us on our upcoming cruise to Alaska. After this trip - the white dinner jacket and the black will be retired to the back of the closet also. I might bury him in one of them (when the time comes) just to make sure he gets his money's worth. :D

Okie1946

DH has decided to take his summer dinner jacket (white) with us on our upcoming cruise to Alaska. After this trip - the white dinner jacket and the black will be retired to the back of the closet also. I might bury him in one of them (when the time comes) just to make sure he gets his money's worth. :D

Okie1946

Does he know about the funeral plans? I couldn't help thinking "Morticia Addams" when I read your post. ;)

My guess is that this is a cyclical thing. Right now informal is in. At some point folks will start craving dress-up again. Everything comes and goes. Plus, the new styles of men's formal wear don't have as many moving parts. Gone are the cumberbunds. Most of the new shirts don't require studs. The young guys don't wear special patent leather shoes. So they look very handsome without much more effort than packing a suit. My DH packed away the dinner jacket and bought a black suit for our travels, but we are in our mid 50s and he may well get into one of the new styles of evening wear.

I'd like to hope that whatever the "costume," we never lose respect for each other and the magic of a special night at sea.

My guess is that this is a cyclical thing. Right now informal is in. At some point folks will start craving dress-up again. Everything comes and goes. Plus, the new styles of men's formal wear don't have as many moving parts. Gone are the cumberbunds. Most of the new shirts don't require studs. The young guys don't wear special patent leather shoes. So they look very handsome without much more effort than packing a suit. My DH packed away the dinner jacket and bought a black suit for our travels, but we are in our mid 50s and he may well get into one of the new styles of evening wear.

I'd like to hope that whatever the "costume," we never lose respect for each other and the magic of a special night at sea.

DH just got a new tux after getting many years of use out of his previous one. I was surprised at how much lighter the fabric is. For those who worry about weight in luggage, I think the new tux might weigh less than his suit.

While certain aspects of fashion tend to be cyclical - tie widths for one - I believe that there has been a slow but continuous move towards less formal clothing for well over a century. The gradual decline is reflected in all aspects of life, from business attire to social events. Not so many years ago, a restaurant in which I dined recently would have been filled with men in suits with ties and women in nice evening wear. Now everyone was wearing smart casual, with a few men and women in jeans, albeit designer. Regrettably, I don't see the pendulum changing direction at any point in the foreseeable future.

Jacket and tie are appropriate for gentlemen' date='[/quote']

Yes. You can meet the requirements of collared shirt and slacks - but still be inappropriate. That, my friends, has comedy gold potential.

Edited by POA1

While certain aspects of fashion tend to be cyclical - tie widths for one - I believe that there has been a slow but continuous move towards less formal clothing for well over a century. The gradual decline is reflected in all aspects of life, from business attire to social events. Not so many years ago, a restaurant in which I dined recently would have been filled with men in suits with ties and women in nice evening wear. Now everyone was wearing smart casual, with a few men and women in jeans, albeit designer. Regrettably, I don't see the pendulum changing direction at any point in the foreseeable future.

I agree re: the gradual decline of formality in our culture overall. But for social events, keep hope alive! A pattern I notice among youth is that rejecting the parents' cultural mores seems to also include adopting those of the grandparents. For instance, as teens, I and my boomer friends scoured secondhand shops for clothes from the 1920-30s. Contemporary clothes in fashion magazines of the early 70's also recalled those silhouettes & accessories. (Some popular music echoed that era: Leon Redbone, Maria Muldaur, Dan Hicks... )

So: there's been a resurgence of interest in "dress-up" among youth--suits, lady-like dresses. (Youth = under 30.) Due at least in part to the Mad Men show, homage to the Rat Pack (Michael Buble, etc.), and just general 1960s (establishment, not hippie) sensibilities. I about fell over when my nephew showed up at a restaurant one night recently in a sharkskin suit--for no particular reason! Certainly not a work requirement. And he proceeded to drink Manhattans. I pay attention now & this way of dressing seems to be fairly prevalent. We'll see how long it lasts!

Jacket and tie are appropriate for gentlemen' date='[/quote']

But that does not mean that it's mandatory..

Since reading the other thread, & what others have posted after contacting HAL, it looks like HAL is doing away with Formal nights..:(

Edited by serendipity1499

I shall wear my tux and DH her fancy dress - those who don't want to that's fine - we will all still have a great cruise

I agree with this sentiment. Good for you!

We don't try to "fit in" on Formal/Gala Nights. A tux and long dress or suit, tie and cocktail dress.

How we feel is how we dress, one or the other, not based on how we expect other pax to dress, and that is why DH has not relegated his tux to the back of the closet and I haven't tossed the long dresses.

I also agree with 3rdGenCunarder: "Gala" is s silly choice of terms: how often are most people confronted with that word?