NCL Star Propulsion Problems

Ron_L

Didn't they break again just after dry dock cancelling a Panama canal cruise?

Yes. The Star was dry docked in March, then had an Azipod problem in April.

This is a shot from April 2015 - the second dry dock in as many months. It's obvious which Azipod is getting all the attention... I wonder if its the same one this time.

star_dry_dock.jpg

Edited by triptolemus

Just got off the phone with NCL. They said at this time the Sailing is a go for Monday. However, I "think" thats what they are working toward but will not know in the near future. The rep said they are good about contacting passengers if there is a problem they will notify asap. So..we will have to cross our fingers and wait :-)

Just got off the phone with NCL. They said at this time the Sailing is a go for Monday. However, I "think" thats what they are working toward but will not know in the near future. The rep said they are good about contacting passengers if there is a problem they will notify asap. So..we will have to cross our fingers and wait :-)

I hope that they can get it fixed in time! We're on the Star on Nov. 15 so we should be fine (I hope :D)

I was on the phone with NCL today as well. We are sailing her on October 25th. The agent hadn’t heard anything about it, and as we were talking the memo came in. She said they probably will be able to fix this without dry docking her again, and all is expected to be fixed in a day. We’ll see.

In the drydock photo from April, the port azipod is being worked on. It is in the forward position while the starboard side is in reverse position. They are dependent on rotating to steer as there isn't a rudder for direction. Half of the machinery for the azipod unit is inside the hull so perhaps it won't need to be drydocked. The problem could be just with the machinery to rotate the unit.

Good luck!

Since we are supposed to be driving to Tampa early tomorrow AM I am trying not to think about it and hoping they will let us know something by the time we need to leave.

Is the Star finishing a Transatlantic this trip? I saw she was scheduled to stop in Miami then Tampa

Since we are supposed to be driving to Tampa early tomorrow AM I am trying not to think about it and hoping they will let us know something by the time we need to leave.

Is the Star finishing a Transatlantic this trip? I saw she was scheduled to stop in Miami then Tampa

I feel for the passengers that will have to just sit in port till Tomorrow morning.