Trip report - Inside Passage Alaskan Cruise (Grand Princess from SF, June 2018)

jartelt

Hi all - I am just hoping to share a trip report I wrote that describes my experience on a 10 day Inside Passage Alaskan cruise on Princess. The cruise left from San Francisco and stopped at Ketchikan, Kaines, Juneau, the Tracy Arm Fjord, and Victoria. Overall it was a great trip with some really nice weather (low 80 degrees in Alaska)! We did the cruise in June of this year. You can find the full trip report with lots of pictures here: https://backpackersreview.wordpress.com/trip-reports/alaskan-cruise/

I'm happy to answer any questions about the trip!

• Like 1

Thanks for the review; we go on the same itinerary in a few weeks ;).

What did you think of the ship and entertainment onboard?

Overall we had a great time and thought the ship had plenty to offer and was in pretty good shape. To be honest, this was our first cruise though so I can't compare to anything else.

For the entertainment, we thought it was pretty good overall! We enjoyed the music in the small lounges and cocktail bars the best. It was fun to relax and listen to the jazz and cover songs on the piano. The comedy show and singer in the big theater were entertaining but just ok in my opinion.

What did you think of the cruise?

What did you think of the cruise?

We go in a few weeks, but have been to Alaska before and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our first time on The Grand though ;).

Did you have an internet package onboard? If so, how was your connection?

If acceptable with you, I’ll put a link to this thread on our roll call so other pax are able to read your review?

We go in a few weeks, but have been to Alaska before and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our first time on The Grand though ;).

Did you have an internet package onboard? If so, how was your connection?

If acceptable with you, I’ll put a link to this thread on our roll call so other pax are able to read your review?

My wife had the internet package and it worked ok for browsing. It was fairly slow in my experience, but I only used it once or twice (tried to stay off the phone...). I'd say the speed was maybe between 3G and dial up. She got it because she needed to do a little work while we were cruising. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to VPN into her work network, so that did not work out (not sure if this happens to everyone trying to VPN or if her work is just extra careful and secure).

If it is helpful, you may go ahead and post this thread in whichever forum you see fit!

My wife had the internet package and it worked ok for browsing. It was fairly slow in my experience, but I only used it once or twice (tried to stay off the phone...). I'd say the speed was maybe between 3G and dial up. She got it because she needed to do a little work while we were cruising. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to VPN into her work network, so that did not work out (not sure if this happens to everyone trying to VPN or if her work is just extra careful and secure).

If it is helpful, you may go ahead and post this thread in whichever forum you see fit!

Thank you :*.

I agree -- great pics, and lots of nice info. Thanks for taking so much time with your review!

We leave on a similar itinerary in 4wks. The picture of the pier at Skagway has me concerned for DH, who cannot walk very far. We had JUST decided not to bring his travel w/c because we learned that the Port Authority in SF provides them and then hands off to Princess personnel. But looking at that looooong walkway has me re-thinking the decision. Did you notice any folks in wheelchairs, and if so how they managed things?

I agree -- great pics, and lots of nice info. Thanks for taking so much time with your review!

We leave on a similar itinerary in 4wks. The picture of the pier at Skagway has me concerned for DH, who cannot walk very far. We had JUST decided not to bring his travel w/c because we learned that the Port Authority in SF provides them and then hands off to Princess personnel. But looking at that looooong walkway has me re-thinking the decision. Did you notice any folks in wheelchairs, and if so how they managed things?

To be completely honest, I don't recall much about that. I do remember the Princess personnel loading some wheelchairs onto and off of the tenders in Ketchikan, so they were helpful there. On the ship there were certainly folks in wheelchairs or on electric scooters, so I assume the crew is helpful about getting these folks onto the ramps and walkways. I just can't confirm either way because I must not have been paying attention. Sorry!

Thanks for your review. Did they have any yoga or other exercise programs?

Thanks and cheers.

They definitely had exercise classes on several of the days. I don't recall if there was yoga or not. But, I know for sure my wife did a couple spin classes. Sorry, I don't remember more specifics!

... But looking at that looooong walkway has me re-thinking the decision. Did you notice any folks in wheelchairs, and if so how they managed things?

Skagway piers are long and depending upon the actual berth can be looooong. Same with Juneau if you are not taking an excursion. Excursions pick up right outside the ship from any of the berths. Walking the boardwalk into downtown Juneau is rough. As noted, plenty of elex scooters and a few folks being pushed by family/friends in w/c. We did the Grand three times in June and saw similar experiences each time. We were only in Skagway once. Sitka once, shuttle into town, marginally friendly to w/c. Third time was Haines. We stayed onboard but dock was medium length walk.

A fantastic report! We were on the same cruise and loved every minute of it - especially the weather. What great memories you have preserved.

I agree with you about Tracy Arm. We have been there five times, but only reached the glacier once. While it is good, it pales in comparison to Glacier Bay or Hubbard.

As to wheel chairs, passengers should contact their travel agent or Princess. There were a good number of wheel chairs on board various Princess cruises we have enjoyed and the crew seem to take good care of them.

• 6 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 3:43 AM, jartelt said:

Hi all - I am just hoping to share a trip report I wrote that describes my experience on a 10 day Inside Passage Alaskan cruise on Princess. The cruise left from San Francisco and stopped at Ketchikan, Kaines, Juneau, the Tracy Arm Fjord, and Victoria. Overall it was a great trip with some really nice weather (low 80 degrees in Alaska)! We did the cruise in June of this year. You can find the full trip report with lots of pictures here: https://backpackersreview.wordpress.com/trip-reports/alaskan-cruise/

I'm happy to answer any questions about the trip!

Congrats on a wonderful review. Very detailed with great pictures!

We are doing May 2020 out of S.F. on Carnival,staying 2 nights before sailing.

Currently thinking of staying in the financial district/Chinatown area,do you that is an okay area?

On sea days when you were mostly inside, was it still too cold for shorts?

Thanks.