red hook pier

smeyer418

Much of the info on that is wrong. The distance from LGA is just under 11 miles not 18-20. Cabs don't charge extra for extra people or luggage except trunks and the way the directions send you from Kennedy is 25 miles and is more expensive than it is shown...

my first pictures..

Traffic was ok...many PD but too few cabs.

Busses are there and are heading out with no problem.

share.dell.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AbsWrRu1ctGM7

Sid, I *know* you and trust you from, ya know, that *other* place.......

I'm coming up the Jersey Turnpike. Normally, I'd exit at 14 for Bayonne. How much further (time-wise) should I count on for the drive to Red Hook?

And would you tell me YOUR best route?

Carol

Since you are using the turnpike, I'll give you a couple of ways, but frankly if its easier to get to I-80 or I-78, I would go a different way.

First listen to the radio either 880 or 1010. Depending on whether the back up is greater from the Turnpike or 1-9 approach to the Holland Tunnel, I would do the following(and it can make a big difference)

The turnpike is simpler take the turnpike sign that says to Holland Tunnel. It goes directly to it after paying the toll see directions below

if its the 1-9 approach take the exit 14 Newark Airport exit stay to the right take 1-9 North after the next exit cross over to the center roadway 1-9 Skyway(cars only). Take that straight ahead to the Holland Tunnel-hint buy your gas in New Jersy before entering in NY-

After the holland Tunnel take the fourth exit which takes you downtown, about 4 lights or so make the left onto Chambers street to its end when you make the right to get on the Brooklyn Bridge

Over the Brooklyn Bridge take the first exit stay right(you come around a fish hook turn onto a street) then bare left you are going to BQE-West headed towards Staten Island. under the highway bare left and get on the highway for one exit Atlantic Avenue Turn left at the end of the exit and follow the signs....

Without Traffic you are 35 minutes or less from exit 14 to the Pier. With Traffic its hard to tell.

Couple of more points. I hope you have an e-z pass it will save you much time at the tunnel and at the turnipke.(its also cheaper but that is another story)

The above is about the most direct and it avoids the toll at the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, but if the traffic report says that the Brooklyn Bridge is really bad you may be better coming out of the Holland Tunnel and Taking the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel- Follow the directions above but when it says to turn left on Chambers Street turn right take that to the end and turn left to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to Brooklyn after the tunnel Take the Hamilton Avenue exit. Stay in the left lane maKe the first two lefts(be careful not to get back on the tunnel- you have turned around on the street) at the end you make a left and then the right on Bowne Street right into the Pier entrance)

Thank you so much, Sid.

I think that I'm going to hire a car and driver.

Seriously. Parking would cost me $25 a day, it's a nine day cruise, and I am driving-in-NYC-phobic.

But I'll give HIM your directions. :)

I thought it was $18.00 with a $180.00 limit....The driving isn't that bad really.

You are welcome....I'll come down and see you off ;)

Does anyone have any idea on the cost of a cab (estimate , of course) from Port Authority to Red Hook pier? When we booked we didn't realize we would be leaving from Brooklyn and we would rather not drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:)

Rosemary

$30.00 toll and tip...

Thanks. I think that is what we will do - cheaper than driving and parking, that's for sure!

We're on the Sept. 3-12 cruise. Our 21st cruise but first Princess!:)

Rosemary

We'll be on the Crown in May 2007 (I'm way early, but hey why not ask now), and live in central Pennsylvania.

A drive to NYC is about 3 hours, but we have very close friends who live in Ridgewood, N.J. Anyone know the distance between the pier and Ridgewood? We'd love not to have to fight NYC traffic.

Ridgewood to Brooklyn would be about 25 miles or so. Commuter buses won't be practical with luggage. Here's a link to NJ Transit trains for that line (you'll need Adobe Acrobat reader to view it).

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0020.pdf

You would probably want to change trains at Secaucus Junction to go to Penn Station; Hoboken really won't do you any good. Then, take a taxi (at around $25 + tip + tolls, if any) from Penn Station to the Brooklyn pier.

I thought it was $18.00 with a $180.00 limit....The driving isn't that bad really.

You are welcome....I'll come down and see you off ;)

Sid, you were right! Whoever gave me the $25 information was just plain wrong. Someone posted a direct link ( I *thought* that I had read that entire website) to the cruise terminal site, and it is indeed $180 for "monthly" parking.

Question: Do they count by calendar day, or 24 hour period? In other words, this is a nine day cruise. If I park at, say, 11 a.m. on July 11, and get my car out of the lot at 9 a.m. on July 20, will they charge me for nine days or for ten? Best guess?

And I would LOVE to meet you! Somehow I think that I would get along fine with an attorney named Sid Meyer. :D

Sid, you were right! Whoever gave me the $25 information was just plain wrong. Someone posted a direct link ( I *thought* that I had read that entire website) to the cruise terminal site, and it is indeed $180 for "monthly" parking.

Question: Do they count by calendar day, or 24 hour period? In other words, this is a nine day cruise. If I park at, say, 11 a.m. on July 11, and get my car out of the lot at 9 a.m. on July 20, will they charge me for nine days or for ten? Best guess?

And I would LOVE to meet you! Somehow I think that I would get along fine with an attorney named Sid Meyer. :D

LOL sounds good to me. At the Manhattan piers its day to day(the time you check in and leave doesn;t matter) so for a 9 day cruise they charge 9 days. Since P and O runs both piers I assume its the same, but I am not sure and they probably aren't either.

Now I have read more on the cruise terminal website, and it offered to use mapquest to give me driving directions.

This is what I got.

5: Merge onto I-276 E / PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE toward NEW JERSEY

6: I-276 E / PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE becomes NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE EXT

7: Merge onto NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE N via the exit on the LEFT toward NEW YORK

8: Merge onto I-278 E via EXIT 13 toward GOETHALS BR / VERRAZANO BR

9: Keep LEFT at the fork to continue on I-278 E.

10: Take the HAMILTON AVE exit- EXIT 26.

11: Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto HAMILTON AVE.

12: HAMILTON AVE becomes SUMMIT ST.

13: SUMMIT ST becomes IMLAY ST.

14: End at Bowne St & Imlay St Brooklyn, NY 11231, US

Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 56 minutes Total Est. Distance: 99.24 miles

What do you think? Sometimes I trust mapquest, and sometimes I don't.

Now I have read more on the cruise terminal website, and it offered to use mapquest to give me driving directions.

This is what I got.

5: Merge onto I-276 E / PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE toward NEW JERSEY

6: I-276 E / PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE becomes NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE EXT

7: Merge onto NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE N via the exit on the LEFT toward NEW YORK

8: Merge onto I-278 E via EXIT 13 toward GOETHALS BR / VERRAZANO BR

9: Keep LEFT at the fork to continue on I-278 E.

10: Take the HAMILTON AVE exit- EXIT 26.

11: Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto HAMILTON AVE.

12: HAMILTON AVE becomes SUMMIT ST.

13: SUMMIT ST becomes IMLAY ST.

14: End at Bowne St & Imlay St Brooklyn, NY 11231, US

Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 56 minutes Total Est. Distance: 99.24 miles

What do you think? Sometimes I trust mapquest, and sometimes I don't.

While that is one way to go. Its means taking the Staten Island Expressway and the Gowanus. These are notiously backed up during the week and the Gowanus is undergoing reconstruction. Its not the way I would go. Actually if I would go this way I would take the outerbridge crossing(route440) to the Staten Island Expressway over the Verrazanos narrow bridge). The advantage of this route is it is more scenic- over the V-N Bridge is nice(use the upper deck), but it can really get backed up...

Also the police had closed Summit street to traffic when the QM2 was here but that shouldn't throw you to far off-- they will tell you to make a left and then a right on Bowne Street right into the pier.

The only time you can make it in 2 hours is 3 in the morning...

Now we're starting to get posts on "how do we get to Red Hook"? It will be interesting to see how congested it gets when QM2 and Crown Princess are at the pier on the same day. We are sailing the Crown on 9/30, driving from Ma. Since it is a Saturday sailing, maybe traffic will be slightly better (wishful thinking). My only concern is arriving at 11:00 A.M. and finding no parking. They said there is parking for 500 cars, but it just doesn't seem adequate. Oh well, we shall see. Anyone on sailings before 9/30 please post your experiences at Red Hook and if you drive, I would definitely welcome your posts.

It will be interesting to see how congested it gets when QM2 and Crown Princess are at the pier on the same day.

You are going to have a wait - the schedule shows that won't happen until 30Sep2006. The only other day where there are two in port is 21Oct.

-----Burton

First of all, thank you for the photos. Have a question. Does anyone know if the car parking lot is a long walk to the Ship? Do you drop your luggage off first and then park? Any info will be appreciated. We sail on Crown in Sept. this year. Thanks Ike

Since you are using the turnpike, I'll give you a couple of ways, but frankly if its easier to get to I-80 or I-78, I would go a different way.

First listen to the radio either 880 or 1010. Depending on whether the back up is greater from the Turnpike or 1-9 approach to the Holland Tunnel, I would do the following(and it can make a big difference)

The turnpike is simpler take the turnpike sign that says to Holland Tunnel. It goes directly to it after paying the toll see directions below

if its the 1-9 approach take the exit 14 Newark Airport exit stay to the right take 1-9 North after the next exit cross over to the center roadway 1-9 Skyway(cars only). Take that straight ahead to the Holland Tunnel-hint buy your gas in New Jersy before entering in NY-

After the holland Tunnel take the fourth exit which takes you downtown, about 4 lights or so make the left onto Chambers street to its end when you make the right to get on the Brooklyn Bridge

Over the Brooklyn Bridge take the first exit stay right(you come around a fish hook turn onto a street) then bare left you are going to BQE-West headed towards Staten Island. under the highway bare left and get on the highway for one exit Atlantic Avenue Turn left at the end of the exit and follow the signs....

Without Traffic you are 35 minutes or less from exit 14 to the Pier. With Traffic its hard to tell.

Couple of more points. I hope you have an e-z pass it will save you much time at the tunnel and at the turnipke.(its also cheaper but that is another story)

The above is about the most direct and it avoids the toll at the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, but if the traffic report says that the Brooklyn Bridge is really bad you may be better coming out of the Holland Tunnel and Taking the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel- Follow the directions above but when it says to turn left on Chambers Street turn right take that to the end and turn left to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to Brooklyn after the tunnel Take the Hamilton Avenue exit. Stay in the left lane maKe the first two lefts(be careful not to get back on the tunnel- you have turned around on the street) at the end you make a left and then the right on Bowne Street right into the Pier entrance)

???????????Why would you make her go thru Manhattan?????

NJ Turnpike into Staten Island is much faster and closer to the port. Traffic going thru Manhattan is 100 times worse than going thru Staten Island. Verrazano bridge takes you right onto the Gowanus and than its the second exit(hamilton Ave). The only time you will sit in really bad traffic on the Gowanus is during rush hour(6am-9am). In Manhattan it's all day. Coming from the PA turnpike you pass right by the Goethals bridge, by the time it takes you to get to the holland/Lincoln Tn. you will be thru Staten Island already. Going thru Manhattan when you are coming from PA is way out of the way.

His way takes you around NJ into Manhayyan, across Manhattan to the Brooklyn bridge, makes no sense to me.

I read on Cunard board that there were plenty of Black car limos(more than enough). NYC has signed a contract with a Black car limo service(car service).

Archived