Coz Beach Recommendations

gatorpac

I'll be in Cozumel in September and want to book a beach/snorkel excursion. Here's what I'm looking for in order of importance (high to low):

1. No kids (We have 2 at home and didn't bring them for a reason)

2. Decent beach snorkeling

3. Good traditional Mexican food (no "cheeseburgers in paradise")

4. Great drinks

5. Nice beach amenities (comfortable chairs, etc)

Looking for some suggestions/recommendations from experienced Coz Cruisers. Thanks.

Gatorpac

Off the top of my head...look at Playa Uvas, Playa Palancar, Coral princess Hotel and DzulHa/Palmar beach clubs...there may be some kids but not as many as some of the other clubs, decent snorkeling,good food and drinks..there will be some variety in amenities...As a teacher, I try to spend vacations around adults and not kids.

Hope this helps

Cozgal is Correct !!!

Go to either Playa Uvas, Playa Palancar, or Dzul Ha. The hurricane destroyed the reefs close to shore and the best (man made ) beach, Chankanaab, is still closed and doesn't look like it is going to open any time soon regardless of what they say. But you can't go wrong with the previous mentioned. :)

Thanks for the replies....this helps.

I saw that Chankanaab opened recently....from their website it does look very nice. I wonder if we can hear from anyone that has recently been there?

You don't need to book one. It is completely and easily possible to do this on your own. And that is also the best way to avoid crowds and kids. It will also save you a lot of moolah.

Dzul Ha or Palomar Beach Club are very close to the cruiseship piers and are the best for shore snorkeling. Order nachos or shrimp ceviche at any of these places to get away from burgers. Or fish tacos. Yum.

For more laid back and white sand beaches but no snorkeling, try Palancar Beach Club. This is an expensive cab ride -- could be $50 RT US. So I would recommend a rental car for this and once you have it you can tour the other side of the island while you're at it.

It's a pretty facility that they've fixed up nicely. Small. Attractive entrance and little restaurant with white sail cloth providing shade. They have glass bottom kayaks here. Or did before Wilma. Not sure if they still do. But that would be kind of a fun thing to do. But if you try it be sure to wear a shirt and LOTS of sunscreen. Talk about getting a burn! This tropical sun is not something you want to mess around with!

The beach is quite narrow here. But the snorkeling might not be bad given its location near Chankannab and Dzul Ha. I would give this place a try if it didn't look crowded. Because its small, it will fill up fast so get there early if you want to check this one out.

Hi Gator,

I'm going to Coz the 3rd week of August and have spent hours researching the best land based snorkeling places. From all the reviews I've read I believe we'll be going to either Dzul Ha and/or Playa Corona. Both are on the Leeward side, south of town and the cruise pier. Altho, if you want good snorkeling, you won't find a good beach and if you want a great beach, the snorkeling won't be good. We plan on snorkeling at one of these spots first, then will head to Paradise Beach (which is highly recommended, but may be crowded) to enjoy the beach (bad snorkeling tho). I found a great website http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Beaches that lists all the snorkeling beaches and they have ratings next to them, telling you which are good, bad, etc. If you want to send me an email the latter part of August, I'll give you a review of where we went. Texas3@msn.com

They have glass bottom kayaks here. Or did before Wilma. Not sure if they still do. But that would be kind of a fun thing to do. But if you try it be sure to wear a shirt and LOTS of sunscreen. Talk about getting a burn! This tropical sun is not something you want to mess around with!

FYI, Playa Uvas does have the clear kayaks. Stircrzy did a review of her visit there in May, and they went kayaking. I've also reserved the kayak tour for our visit the beginning of August.

Carey, really appreciate your Web site. I visited it last night and was pleased to find the info about shopping away from the pier. Can't wait to check out some of the shops you mentioned! We're doing Playa Uvas as soon as we get off the ship and then it's shopping time! :-)

My youngest DD collects the Mexican suns--has several from previous cruises. Can you recommend a good place to get a couple more for her? I know they probably have them everywhere, but where would you suggest we go for good prices on them and also some nice pottery. I love the vibrant colors in the pottery and would like to pick up a couple more pieces.

Thanks!

Jayne

I love it, too. For best selection, I would recommend that you check these two places:

Cinco Soles -- on the waterfront 5 blocks north of the ferry pier, takes up a whole block and has the Panchos Backyard restaurant in the back courtyard.

Peche -- Avenida 30 between Calle 6 & 8. Any taxi driver can take you there and its very safe.

Viva Mexicana--on the waterfront at, I believe, Calle 3. They have some nice pieces.

Best buys are at Pech. Best selection at Cinco Soles.

I second Carey's suggestion for Pech...I always find something at a great price....Also try The Talavera store on Calle 1 bet. Av 20 &25...nice selection of the colorful pottery with better prices than many other shops.

Uva´s is the only place that offers beach and snorkeling. The beach area is actually about twice as wide as it was before Wilma. Fabulouso food and beverages. Great lounge chairs and small crowds.

Snorkeling from the beach is still great and you'll see fish (or underwater sculptures and small caves in Chankanaab) but for serious snorkelers who want the best snorkeling and to see impressive reefs, it's worth taking a boat tour to the south.

Fury Cozumel snorkel tours and Paradise Beach snorkel tours are both options, but they are likely to have kids and the food is not quite so Mexican.

Palancar Beach is quieter and generally has less kids, it has more traditional food and they offer snorkel tours by boat. It is a longer ride by taxi from the town, but this means a shorter ride by boat to the reefs. You can see some information about Palancar and Uvas on this Cozumel beaches review too.

Uvas is a very nice beach club, but I don't think the snorkeling is so great there (any locals that disagree feel free to argue! :o)

You also can see a new review of Chankanaab with photos on the homepage of that Cozumel news and information site.

Hope that helps - wherever you go, have a great time!

Ian

We enjoy a waterview but prefer a beach club with a pool. Also a shady area & food...any rec? Does the hotel club mentioned above offer that? What abt Nachi Cocom--are they stillopen & how much is the entry fee?

Archived