Tarquinia, How to get there?

cruise4usnow

Where do you get the bus or train to Tarquinia? has anyone rented a car in Civit. port for the day ans is it close to the port? Thanks

You get the train at the station in Civit. Go online for the Italian Rail system and you can get the schedule. Don't know about the bus or car rental.

DO NOT TAKE THE TRAIN!!!

I don't know how to link--but a few pages down there is my port report with details for Tarquinia if you want more details--I'll try to bump it up.

But since we just did the trip on our own on March 11 here are the details.

You take the local bus--which will drop you off right at the old city walls. The train staion in Tarquinia is very far from the town itself and would not be a good idea. The cost of the bus to Tar. is 2 euro one way.

THE DETAILS:

Civ-Tarquinia bus times: 7:45 8:45 9:00 9:15 10:05 11:10 12:05 13:03 etc

Tar-Civ :11:30 13:30 14:50 15:45 16:25 17:30 18:20

To get the bus from the port shuttle: Get off the port shuttle by the castle.

Walk toward the seaside promenade. You will notice a street to your left that goes slightly up hill. This is Lg Plebiscito Corso Centocelle (remember the street signs are up on the buildings)

Walk up that street--you will pass some steps on your left right away, that would be a shortcut---but you need bus tickets so continue on. You will pass Dalmazia Street then you'll see a big street Lg Cavour that leads to Piazza Vittorio Emanuelle.

Turn left at Cavour (counting alleys it is maybe three short blocks from the sea) .

LOOK FOR THE LITTLE NEWSTAND--that is where you buy tickets. Have your phrasebook--or Italian lessons handy--or write out that you want bus tickets to Tarquinia in Italian, this is a real city--not an English speaking tourist stop. The ticket in March was 2 euro--we got return tickets at the same time.

You will see the plaza with the large Cathedral as you walk on Cavour--it will be right ahead. Staying on the left side of the street you will see the bus stop--it looks like a bus stop with a cover and benches.

Breath a sgh of relief that you have tickets and the correct bus stop. Now get on the correct bus. Our bus was late and we were very lucky because one person at the stop told us which one to get on.

The bus will be clearly marked Tarquinia. Other buses will also come to that stop. Wait for the bus that says Tarquinia. It will either be a sign in the window---or one of those electric signs at the top of the bus. Both buses we took were blue, the yellow ones are local. Our bus was about 10 min late.

Ok you got on the bus!!! Validate your ticket in the little machine in front (just one ticket--not your return). If the machine is broken write the date and bus number on your ticket. Enjoy the ride--you will pass your ship and head out through the country. Tarquinia is 17 KM from Civitavecchia and takes about 30 min. The ride is pretty.

Don't panic as you approach Tarquinia and you see people get off, the bus will take you to the old town. You'll get close to Tarquinia and see the town up hill to your right and then get worried as the bus goes left around a circle and heads for Lido Tarquinia. Don't panic--stay on the bus. You will go by a school probably stop--then go all the way to the sea and turn around. You will pass the train station (both coming and going--pat yourself on the back that you didn't take the train). You may stop at the school again, then get to the circle again and the bus heads up the hill to the walled city. It stops right by the one of the entrances to the walled city (trust me --it's obvious) and that is where you get off. That is also where you catch the bus back.

CONGRATULATIONS--you made it to Tarquinia!!! You will notice a very large tourist map on the stone wall--right around the corner is a great TI office, and they will give you a wonderful free map that is very accurate.

THE WAY BACK--we were lucky, we thought we missed our planned bus, but it pulled up right when we got to the stop--it was running late. This bus had an electric sign that said Tarquinia---C.vecchia this was the right bus.

In Civitavecchia at the end of the seaside promenade there is a small round building--that is the Civitavecchia TI booth. They gave us a bus schedule and told us it was three blocks "that way" but didn't say where to buy the tickets, or seem to have alot of info on Tarquinia.

Now I'll look for and bump up my port report where I have more details about Tarquinia (even though it seem self serving--I just want to save typing!)

• 5 months later...

Yes we went there, Mountain gave perfect instructions.

It was a great day, inexpensive. DO THE MUSEUM if you like history. Take the local bus to the tombs (map from tourist office-it closed in afternoon). Walk back, enjoy the old city, do the museum, have gelato while you wait for the return bus. If you need something - the shopping here is where locals go (ie the forgotten swimsuit????) It was quaint, historical, fun, and an inexpensive day without stress.

Thanks

Mountainmane: thanks terrifically for the wonderful instructions/directions.

Question: Did you go to Toscania as well as to Tarquinia? Is there a reason you chose one over the other? If you did both, did you prefer one over the other? Thanks so much! VERY kind of you to go to the trouble of detailing all those directions.

I'm happy that this has helped other people.

We were staying post cruise in Civitavechhia--and after a port intensive Greece-Turkey- Egypt week wanted a nice relaxed end of our vacation which is why we only chose to go to Tarquinia.

The town, museum and tombs were a wonderful way to spend the day.

Thanks, mm. Can you recommend particular things to do right in Civi, or did you spend virtually all your time away from the port town? Are there pleasant walks right in town-- or can one get into any sort of handsome countryside by walking a few miles?

If I can come in for a second, we visited Tarquinia and Tuscania as a ship tour. It was a fabulous day.

But if I had to choose between Tarquinia and Tuscania, I would definitely choose Tarquinia. The Etruscan Tombs are unbelievable and worth a visit. The town of Tarquinia is also very interesting, the museum etc.

Tuscania is pretty but has less to offer. That's just my opinion. If you have time to do both - and I can't help you on how to do that on you own as we did it with the tour - then go for it!!

MC

• 1 year later...
DO NOT TAKE THE TRAIN!!!

I don't know how to link--but a few pages down there is my port report with details for Tarquinia if you want more details--I'll try to bump it up.

You take the local bus--which will drop you off right at the old city walls. The train staion in Tarquinia is very far from the town itself and would not be a good idea. The cost of the bus to Tar. is 2 euro one way.

THE DETAILS:

Walk toward the seaside promenade. You will notice a street to your left that goes slightly up hill. This is Lg Plebiscito Corso Centocelle (remember the street signs are up on the buildings)

Walk up that street--you will pass some steps on your left right away, that would be a shortcut---but you need bus tickets so continue on. You will pass Dalmazia Street then you'll see a big street Lg Cavour that leads to Piazza Vittorio Emanuelle.

Turn left at Cavour (counting alleys it is maybe three short blocks from the sea) .

LOOK FOR THE LITTLE NEWSTAND--that is where you buy tickets. Have your phrasebook--or Italian lessons handy--or write out that you want bus tickets to Tarquinia in Italian, this is a real city--not an English speaking tourist stop. The ticket in March was 2 euro--we got return tickets at the same time.

You will see the plaza with the large Cathedral as you walk on Cavour--it will be right ahead. Staying on the left side of the street you will see the bus stop--it looks like a bus stop with a cover and benches.

Breath a sgh of relief that you have tickets and the correct bus stop. Now get on the correct bus. Our bus was late and we were very lucky because one person at the stop told us which one to get on.

The bus will be clearly marked Tarquinia. Other buses will also come to that stop. Wait for the bus that says Tarquinia. It will either be a sign in the window---or one of those electric signs at the top of the bus. Both buses we took were blue, the yellow ones are local. Our bus was about 10 min late.

Ok you got on the bus!!! Validate your ticket in the little machine in front (just one ticket--not your return). If the machine is broken write the date and bus number on your ticket. Enjoy the ride--you will pass your ship and head out through the country. Tarquinia is 17 KM from Civitavecchia and takes about 30 min. The ride is pretty.

Don't panic as you approach Tarquinia and you see people get off, the bus will take you to the old town. You'll get close to Tarquinia and see the town up hill to your right and then get worried as the bus goes left around a circle and heads for Lido Tarquinia. Don't panic--stay on the bus. You will go by a school probably stop--then go all the way to the sea and turn around. You will pass the train station (both coming and going--pat yourself on the back that you didn't take the train). You may stop at the school again, then get to the circle again and the bus heads up the hill to the walled city. It stops right by the one of the entrances to the walled city (trust me --it's obvious) and that is where you get off. That is also where you catch the bus back.

CONGRATULATIONS--you made it to Tarquinia!!! You will notice a very large tourist map on the stone wall--right around the corner is a great TI office, and they will give you a wonderful free map that is very accurate.

THE WAY BACK--we were lucky, we thought we missed our planned bus, but it pulled up right when we got to the stop--it was running late. This bus had an electric sign that said Tarquinia---C.vecchia this was the right bus.

In Civitavecchia at the end of the seaside promenade there is a small round building--that is the Civitavecchia TI booth. They gave us a bus schedule and told us it was three blocks "that way" but didn't say where to buy the tickets, or seem to have alot of info on Tarquinia.

Now I'll look for and bump up my port report where I have more details about Tarquinia (even though it seem self serving--I just want to save typing!)

Thank you sssoooooooooooo much for your wonderful information on Tarquinia. You are a trooper to do all that typing!!!!

We are on the Solstice on November 30th and we will be coming from Rome to the port. I only hope we'll have enough time to go there.

Many Thanks!,

Mary

DO NOT TAKE THE TRAIN!!!

THE DETAILS:

Excellent report,

the Bus is COTRAL,Has a web site ,cotral s.p.a, for times,note they only list times for the ongoing month.

a B.I.R.G ticket, 2.5 euros,is a day ticket,which also allows travel from Tarquinia City walls to the Tomb site,

bought from the news seller on the corner

We took the bus from cv to Tarquinia a few weeks ago following the instructions found here. Unfortunately when we asked about bus tickets at the news stand the man said "finito". The bus driver seemed unable to sell us tickets so we just sat down and hoped for the best. Several Italian ladies chimed in on our behalf shouting at the driver that we'd been unable to buy tickets at the news stand. We just kept our fingers crossed that all would be well. No inspector got on the bus. We weren't trying to dodge paying. We never did find out how and where we should get the tickets. In Tarquinia the Tourist Info office told us of a free town shuttle that goes near the Necropolis every 20 mins which we took to within a few hundred yards of the tombs. Again there was a big loud debate on the bus as to where exactly we should get off. It was worth the trip. In cv we boarded the bus almost opposite the Cathedral steps. In Tq we bought our return tickets in the Tabac in the little square almost opposite the museum.

• 2 months later...

"2irisheyes" is correct. We just went to Tarquinia, Italy on December 10th and we could not buy bus tickets. We had someone who was fluent in Italian with us who asked at every newsstand, bar, store that was open to find out that the person who sells the tickets to the newsstand ran off with the money and left town (Civitavecchia). We could absolutely not buy a bus ticket from Civitavecchia to Tarquinia. We ended up catching the 11 AM train to Tarquinia for 2,30 Euro and then taking a bus from the train station to the city center for 0,60 Euro per person. Just as "2irisheyes" posted, once we got to Tarquinia, we were able to buy tickets on the bus direct back to Civitavecchia from the tobacconist.

We took the bus from cv to Tarquinia a few weeks ago following the instructions found here. Unfortunately when we asked about bus tickets at the news stand the man said "finito". The bus driver seemed unable to sell us tickets so we just sat down and hoped for the best. Several Italian ladies chimed in on our behalf shouting at the driver that we'd been unable to buy tickets at the news stand. We just kept our fingers crossed that all would be well. No inspector got on the bus. We weren't trying to dodge paying. We never did find out how and where we should get the tickets. In Tarquinia the Tourist Info office told us of a free town shuttle that goes near the Necropolis every 20 mins which we took to within a few hundred yards of the tombs. Again there was a big loud debate on the bus as to where exactly we should get off. It was worth the trip. In cv we boarded the bus almost opposite the Cathedral steps. In Tq we bought our return tickets in the Tabac in the little square almost opposite the museum.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite in that area is Civita de Bagnoregio (I think Rick Steves said this is his favorite place too). For those who can take that option--we went there via private driver--I can't recommend highly enough.

Happy travels,

Donna

I will be renting a car from Hertz for our day. dbh62ark mentions Civita de Bagnoregio. Where is that located and what is there to see?
Civita de Bagnoregio is a a small, pedestrian-only village that you walk UP to via footbridge. The topography of the surrounding mountains is also amazing, but the quaint village was really the highlight for us. Uber charming and quite a treat. The scenery to and from Bagnoregio is very nice too. Here are some links for you.

http://www.romeartlover.it/Bagnoregio.html

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=bagnoregio

http://www.romeartlover.it/Bagnaia.html

http://www.romeartlover.it/Tuscania.html

We have spent too many days to count in Italy and can tell you that Civita de Bagnoregio is quite a gem. If you go, I'd love to hear what you think about it.

Have a great trip,

Donna

dbh62ark - The town looks lovely. One question I have: is it a difficult walk up to the town? My Mom is 81 and although she gets around quite well, uphill climbs can become difficult for her. Thanks.

Since the village/town is on top of a hill there can be some moderately steep grades to go up. There are some streets that are actually quite steep but they can be avoided. Most streets perpendicular to the main street are relatively level. Keep in mind that a lot of the streets are uneven cobblestone.

Links to Tarquinia pictures:

http://www.ftroute.com/ITCR/Images/tar3.jpg

http://www.ftroute.com/ITCR/Images/tar5.jpg

http://www.ftroute.com/ITCR/Images/tar7.jpg

http://www.ftroute.com/ITCR/Images/tar8.jpg

Archived