Itajai, Brazil suggestions?

kikilalu

Itajai: Any suggestions for what to do in this port of call? We will be arriving on a Friday, Jan 30 from 9:00am-6:00pm. My DH and I are in our 30s. We are pretty active and like to do independent excursions.

We haven't been able to find much on this port of call. The ship has two possible exercisions: Camboriu & Cable Car or Blumenau (which is town with a lot of german inhabitants -- 8hr tour). Neither excursion look very exciting.

Suggestions, thoughts, please send them our way.

Thanks!

There is a taxi station near the port exit. You can negotiate a fair price (esp now that the Brasilian real dropped to 2.3 per US$) for a day tour to Blumenau. It is not that big a deal, but is as interesting as you will find in these parts for a day tour.

we stopped there last February and the town with some shops is a short walk (less expensive than in Rio)from the pier. The next day we went to a beach on the other side of the island and it was great. All the restaurants and bars had chaise lounges w/umbrellas and for just ordering some drinks you could stay there as long as you wish. Across the street I went to a pool restaurant and they let me dip in the pool. All very friendly and a pleaseant surprise A few people went to Bleamenthau and thought that the long ride wasn't worth the few German type sites and beergarden. It's up to you.

Thank you Owl61 and Dabear for replying.

I think we will take a taxi to Cambouriu (6.2 miles) or Florianópolis (50 miles). Blumenau seems interesting but it is just too far. Cambouriu and Florianopolis both seem like beach towns so we'll probably end up in Cambouriu because it is closer. Has anyone been to either town?

We will probably return to Itajai early and look around as per Dabear's experience before returning to the ship.

About getting a taxi at the port...how do we negotiate a fare? We don't speak portuguese so I'm worried. Is there anything we should know or look for? I read all about illegal taxis in Rio and day vs night rates? Taxis make me nervous.

Many thanks!

to the best of my knowledge Itajai is safe. I recall a taxi starter who spoke English helped us. I don't recall negotiations as everyone else was paying the same to go to the great beach.

Itajai: Any suggestions for what to do in this port of call? We will be arriving on a Friday, Jan 30 from 9:00am-6:00pm. My DH and I are in our 30s. We are pretty active and like to do independent excursions.

We haven't been able to find much on this port of call. The ship has two possible exercisions: Camboriu & Cable Car or Blumenau (which is town with a lot of german inhabitants -- 8hr tour). Neither excursion look very exciting.

Suggestions, thoughts, please send them our way.

Thanks!

Itajai is in the port for very good beaches. Camboriu is a very nice beach city (large) with a long beach with all facilities (lounges, sun umbrellas, drinks and food (the shrimps are excellent)) and very good shopping.

Nearby Camboriu you may find a lot more beaches, such as Bombas, Bombinhas, Itapema and a nude beach: Pinho.

The Cable Car at the end of the Camboriu beach take you to a very nice and small beach on the other side of the mountain.

Near Itajai, in Penha, you can go to Beto Carreiro, a park like Disney.

I think Camboriu is the best option. I e-mailed a taxi driver who gave me a quote:

"to get to Florianopolis can be 1:30hr...but it depends where about you wanna go over there..

the price to Florianopolis downtown for example I'll charge you US 180,00

to see sime of the florianipilis beachs can be US 230,00 to 250,00"

"20 km from Itajai...it is nice too

The price to take you there is U$ 60,00 dollars for each way

will show you nice places and we can make a time to come back...like....you can stay there for how long you like, then I come to pick you up.

To stay with you for all day can be R$25 reais per hour"

He seems little expensive so we will try our luck at the taxi station. Wish us luck. I have bought a portuguese phrase book to help. :D

Wonton758: if you were in this port for only the day and decided to go to Camboriu which beach would you go to?

Is there a main shopping center where we should concentrate our time? We might be sun burned by the time we get to this port. Shopping, however, is always fun.

Any restaurant suggestions? We love seafood.

Also, would you go to the cable car? If yes, how much time should we allot and is there a particular time you suggest? You are always so informative. Thank you!!!!

Wonton758: if you were in this port for only the day and decided to go to Camboriu which beach would you go to?

Is there a main shopping center where we should concentrate our time? We might be sun burned by the time we get to this port. Shopping, however, is always fun.

Any restaurant suggestions? We love seafood.

Also, would you go to the cable car? If yes, how much time should we allot and is there a particular time you suggest? You are always so informative. Thank you!!!!

Beach: Laranjeiras by Cable Car: http://www.unipraias.com.br/

Shopping: http://www.balneariocamboriushopping.com.br/page/#

In the city center

Map and more information: http://www.camboriu.com.br/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=51

Restaurants: I can't remeber names, but there are several near the Cable Car (teleferico) station.

This info is invaluable to me. I can not tell you how many hours I searched on the internet and through travel books to find information about what to do in this port. This information is just what I was looking for. Many, many thanks!!! :)

This info is invaluable to me. I can not tell you how many hours I searched on the internet and through travel books to find information about what to do in this port. This information is just what I was looking for. Many, many thanks!!! :)

kikilalu: Please enter in Google Earth: Balneario Camboriu SC Brasil and open Places of Interest. You may find a lot of information and pics of Camboriu

Archived