Is the food really that bad?

I have to say that reading this just makes me wonder how many people have Celebrity Chefs in their home:D:D

The food on RCCL is perfectly acceptable banqueting style food (read weddings etc.). The evening food in the Windjammer is excellent. Superb salad bar and theme evenings. If a dish is not to your taste, they are willing to bring a different one.

For 'foodies' there are the very reasonably priced speciality restaurants.

I am just amazed at how well it is done, considering the reasonable price of cruising.

During my past two cruises, I received very nice food in the MDR? Was it Michelin-star worthy? No, but I also know that such a meal costs about as much as the whole cruise costed me, so I didn't expect that.

However, many times, our table partners were complaining about the food. At some point, it made me feel uncomfortable. It's difficult to enjoy a dish when someone at your table is making loud complaints about the exact same dish. I wondered what they had for dinner each night at home. I surely don't eat the nice things I got in the MDR, every night when I am at home.

One thing we've learned, after 22 RCI cruises, is to listen to the waiter's recommendations. He/she has observed hundreds of passengers' responses to every dish. So even when the waiter recommends something I wouldn't ordinarily choose, I give it a try and am usually pleasantly surprised. And if not, I've got room for two desserts!

We just returned from Enchantment on Monday and our opinion is that the food was not up to par with previous cruises. The Windjammer was especially problematic in that many of the items went unreplenished when empty and the selection seemed more limited than usual. We heard several people complain about the windjammer food on this cruise, so it was not just us. The omelet station was very good at breakfast.

The MDR food was just Okay. We usually have at least one or two meals that were very good, but nothing stood out this time. If this had been our first cruise, we would not have been impressed with the MDR food. The service was very good - we had My Time dining.

We were on Mariner a few years ago and although the menu had not changed from the previous year, the consensus among our group was that the food was not very good versus the previous year. The next year, it was back to the higher standard that we had expected. The only difference was that they introduced a different head chef on the middle cruise - probably a fill in for the regular chef. This led us to conclude that sometimes the changeover in staff contributes to inconsistency, even on the same ship.

RCI has definitely cut back on the quality and portions over the years. Yes, the price has gone down or held steady, but we preferred the better food & service even if the cruise cost went up a little. We know that there are those who differ on that point.

Sorry, but I get riled up when it comes to cruise industry food :)

Regarding the quality of food, I think it's only relative to compare cruise lines against each other. If Carnival can serve food that is consistently good, then RCI could do it if they cared to. The price points are about the same.

The industry has changed... and it continues to change.

My first cruise was aboard the RCCL Song of America... when I was 14. It was the first time I had ever tried rabbit.. .the first time I had ever experienced real caviar.

My most recent cruise was aboard the Liberty of the Seas. I remember promising myself to book a smaller RCI ship our next cruise (although the wife prefers the big, Big, BIG!). The reason was the food.

Don't get me wrong, the food was great. I enjoyed the company of our waiter and busboy at the MDR... but it wasn't "EXCELLENT".

Previous to the Liberty, I was on the Grand Princess, and again... the food wasn't "EXCELLENT"...

It was good food that you have to prepare 1500 dishes of each night in the dining room.

It is still 100000% better than what you'd get at a Club Med/Superclubs land-based all-inclusive resort... but you miss the little things.

On the Song of America, I had real caviar... later on on the Explorer's inaugural year, we had the American caviar... Aboard the Grand Princess two years ago... they had those disgusting, little round fish-flavored gelatin things for garnish... and last year's Liberty... "sigh".

But it's the sign of the times... 20 years ago, a cruise line did more "gourmet" in the MDR. They had a specific target group to cater to.

Today, they need to cater to everyone... so there's less "gourmet" and more "comfort"... and there's literally thousands of people eating all at once (I tried MTD on Princess... hated it)

It's not an RCI thing, it's an industry thing.

Just like, my first Princess cruise, you would come off the gangplank, and be greeted by a string quartet... we laughed that it was like the movie "Titanic". Grand Princess two years ago.. no Titanic music.

edit:

Oh yeah... Portofinos was "EXCELLENT".

My DW and I have just returned from a trip on Voyager and the food wasn't great. I have only been on one other cruise (P&O) and the food was much better on that one. Much of the food in the Windjammer was very easy to walk past (we only went there for breakfast so can't comment otherwise). MDR every night and always found something to have and never had more than a little grumble about the food or menu but it wasn't the fine dining experience we had hoped for. We certainly didn't go hungry and otherwise had a fantastic time

Food is so subjective and like everyone has said one mans fish is another mans poison. Perfect example for me. Growing up my family couldn't afford steak (ny strip steak, fillet, porterhouse, ribeye etc...) we ate latin style steak (think of a minute steak or what is used for country fried steak) and being from Nicaragua, that meant meat was always well done (extra chewey). So I don't have a taste for steak, don't really care for it.

When sailing on Royal Caribbean if you give me the option of a fillet mignot or sea view cafe food (cuban sandwhich, boneless buffalo wings, fries... etc) I will choose sea view cafe. Not because it is better, but its what I enjoy and makes me 'happy'. Don't get me wrong a good piece of fillet is tasty, but 8 out of 10 times I will choose the buffalo wings. Some people's comfort food is gourmet and other's is pub grub. That's probably the main reason cruiselines have trouble cooking for so many poeple... to many tastes to please.

mmmm Sea View Cafe!

Food is so subjective and like everyone has said one mans fish is another mans poison. Perfect example for me. Growing up my family couldn't afford steak (ny strip steak, fillet, porterhouse, ribeye etc...) we ate latin style steak (think of a minute steak or what is used for country fried steak) and being from Nicaragua, that meant meat was always well done (extra chewey). So I don't have a taste for steak, don't really care for it.

When sailing on Royal Caribbean if you give me the option of a fillet mignot or sea view cafe food (cuban sandwhich, boneless buffalo wings, fries... etc) I will choose sea view cafe. Not because it is better, but its what I enjoy and makes me 'happy'. Don't get me wrong a good piece of fillet is tasty, but 8 out of 10 times I will choose the buffalo wings. Some people's comfort food is gourmet and other's is pub grub. That's probably the main reason cruiselines have trouble cooking for so many poeple... to many tastes to please.

mmmm Sea View Cafe!

That's why I said in a previous post that since the cruise line industry is catering to all type of people, they are replacing "gourmet" with "comfort" foods.

One of the reasons I liked cruising was because of the opportunity to try something that I wouldn't normally get. I am NOT going to a restaurant and ordering Venison or Rabbit...

But on a ship? Why the heck not, I could always get something else if I didn't like it, right? After dinner, I can go upstairs and get a burger!

Woo hoo!

Comfort is cool... I just miss the opportunities to try things "out of the ordinary". I can get "comfort" food at home...

That's why I now make it a point to go eat "local" food at the ports of call.

Why go to Planet Hollywood in Cayman? It's lousy food over here, what's different about eating it in Grand Cayman? amirite?

Regarding the quality of food, I think it's only relative to compare cruise lines against each other. If Carnival can serve food that is consistently good, then RCI could do it if they cared to. The price points are about the same.

Good point. We've only sailed on Paradise, which is one of the older Carnival ships, and the food in her main dining venues is far better than what RCI serves. IMHO.:)

I went on a galley tour on Mariner last year, and when I saw how much food is pre-cooked and re-warmed it rather turned me off. I realize that it's not practical to have food cooked to order, but something about seeing a mound of tempura-battered mahi mahi sitting out at 4:30 in the afternoon, waiting for the 6:00 hour, made me resolve not to order it that evening. :eek:

Sorry, but I get riled up when it comes to cruise industry food :)

Good Point

On the Song of America, I had real caviar... later on on the Explorer's inaugural year, we had the American caviar...

Not sure what you mean by real as opposed to American caviar. Since we started cruising with RCI, I have only ever had lumpfish caviar or salmon roe caviar. It was the same type caviar we had on Nordic Prince in 1980 that we had on Radiance of the Seas in 2009. If you want the more expensive caviars, they are available in the Champagne Bar at a cost, but in my experience they have never been served complimentary in the MDR or any where else. An ounce of Beluga will cost you more than what you pay for a days cruise.:rolleyes:

The only way I'll sail on RCI again is if I can book an alternative restaurant every night of the cruise... and I can't afford to do that. The food in the main dining room and lido restaurant is shameful.

Completly agree, shameful. It went from what was some of the best meals I have ever had to some of the worst.

Not sure what you mean by real as opposed to American caviar. Since we started cruising with RCI, I have only ever had lumpfish caviar or salmon roe caviar. It was the same type caviar we had on Nordic Prince in 1980 that we had on Radiance of the Seas in 2009. If you want the more expensive caviars, they are available in the Champagne Bar at a cost, but in my experience they have never been served complimentary in the MDR or any where else. An ounce of Beluga will cost you more than what you pay for a days cruise.:rolleyes:

Song of America may have been the black lumpfish eggs (I was 14)... Explorer was the red salmon roe.

Grand Princess was the fishy gelatin ball things

Liberty there was none.

I did purchase caviar aboard the Celebrity Galaxy in their caviar bar on it's inaugural year (when it stopped in Coba, Mexico). Cost a little more than $100 for an ounce of Osetra back then with all the accompaniments.

I mentioned that I wanted to go aboard a smaller RCI ship our next cruise... maybe a Radiance Class... the reason was the food. Maybe the smaller ships have more appealing food since they don't have to feed 3600 passengers.

You've been cruising since the 80's, JBond... don't you agree that the industry has changed?

You've been cruising since the 80's, JBond... don't you agree that the industry has changed?

Absolutely it's changed.

I don't know if the food was so much better back then, or I was just overwhelmed by the whole thing. There were midnight buffets every night and the cruise directors were the main entertainment, not just someone that compered shows.

I have a bar menu from 1977 and the drink of the day was $1.50, beer was 85¢ for imported beer and 70¢ for domestic.:eek:

On the other hand, our 14 cruise on Nordic Prince in 1980 cost $1331 pp for an ocean view on deck 3. We are cruising on Radiance next year for $1199 pp for 12 days in a balcony room on deck 10.

Yes, it's changed and I miss some of the old things, but overall I think it is now a better experience.

Absolutely it's changed.

I don't know if the food was so much better back then, or I was just overwhelmed by the whole thing. There were midnight buffets every night and the cruise directors were the main entertainment, not just someone that compered shows.

I have a bar menu from 1977 and the drink of the day was $1.50, beer was 85¢ for imported beer and 70¢ for domestic.:eek:

On the other hand, our 14 cruise on Nordic Prince in 1980 cost $1331 pp for an ocean view on deck 3. We are cruising on Radiance next year for $1199 pp for 12 days in a balcony room on deck 10.

Yes, it's changed and I miss some of the old things, but overall I think it is now a better experience.

I agree that it's a better experience... We were going through our old VHS tapes of our vacations... For some reason, my father had video taped my mother doing some exercise thing on the pool deck of the Song of America (for 20minutes)

The show on board was set in more of a nightclub/cabaret style... not the grand theaters we have now.

I don't miss the "tween" deck.

I do miss the intimacy. For some reason, on the smaller ships, I felt we got to know the crew better... somehow.

I'm looking forward to booking a smaller RCI soon (after our 2nd try at Carnival after 9 years this fall).. but my wife has her heart set on the Oasis...

During my past two cruises, I received very nice food in the MDR? Was it Michelin-star worthy? No, but I also know that such a meal costs about as much as the whole cruise costed me, so I didn't expect that.

However, many times, our table partners were complaining about the food. At some point, it made me feel uncomfortable. It's difficult to enjoy a dish when someone at your table is making loud complaints about the exact same dish. I wondered what they had for dinner each night at home. I surely don't eat the nice things I got in the MDR, every night when I am at home.

I have a SIL like that, complains about every meal when we go out and always sends something back. But she has MS and I know it affects her taste buds, so she really has nerve to complain. I menton it is fine for me and she says nothing. But I have seen some real crappy things she has eaten in combination and just shudder. To each their own, as long as am not cooking it I am happy most times. But if I had a burger on a ship like I had last week at Chili's,( it was like a hockey puck) I would send it back. But that has not happened yet, and I have all good meals on the ships.

Well... aside from my hemming and hawing... I will say that I have always enjoyed my meals on board a cruise ship.

They may have not always met my expectations, but they were never "bad".

I would like to say that maybe on the ships that carry more passengers, the galley has to make compromises to keep 3,600 diners happy, and that is the reason... but I have yet to test my theory since "the boss" enjoys the mega-ship experience.

I should also note that the food on cruise ships is a ZILLION times better than the stuff they serve you at Club Med. I think Club Med thinks it's food.

I've been to many 'land all-inlcusives' all 5 star and I have only been on 1 cruise (2nd one Sept 27) but IMHO I much prefered the cruise food to the land all inclusive food. I enjoyed what I chose on my last cruise. The way I look at it is...I didn't have cook, I enjoy it. Yes I may choose something that I didn't like, but that's not the cruise fault. I would just not choose that dish in the future. If it's tasty and it's got a nice presentation, I enjoy the food. :)

When I first started cruising in the early 80's, food was one of the high points of the cruise. You really looked forward to the experience trying new things because it was "free" and if you didn't like it, you could get something else. Of course back then the ships were smaller so not as much had to prepared which cuts back on the quality from the get-go. Also, there weren't all the alternative eating opportunities like the WJ, Promenade Cafe, pizza, etc. You got three meals a day with maybe a snack put out in mid-morning and mid-afternoon and the midnight buffet. You didn't have all the activities available on the ships that you do now like a rock climbing wall, ice skating, in-line skating, flow rider, etc. Meals were an important part of the cruise experience.

Since that time, I have seen the quality of food gradually decrease.Not just on RCL but on all the lines. Food in the MDR is not something I look forward to as a great cruise experience as it was in the past. Now it is j a meal. Granted, any meal that I don't have to shop for, prepare, clean up after and doesn't have arches on the bag is o.k. by me. What you get in the pay-for restaurants is what you used to get in the MDR. We treat ourselves once or twice on the cruise just as we treat ourselves at home occasionally. Whereas before we never considered eating on shore because our meal was already paid for on the ship, we do now rather than hurry up to get back to the ship. Since we are paying less for cruises than we have in the past--a lot less when you factor in inflation, we don't mind spending extra on other things. For us, eating at local restaurants is like a shore excursion--something to take advantage of.

When looking for a cruise now, itinerary and price are the main things I consider. Unfortunately, Royal Caribbean has cut back on some of their ports having more days at sea so they have lost out on my business a couple of times when I could get the same itinerary they were offering but an additional port or two for approximately the same cost.

As for not cruising Royal Caribbean because of the food issues, that won't happen because I will never go hungry and, frankly, the other ship's food doesn't have the "wow" factor any more either.

Tucker in Texas

Archived