Circumvesuviana station in Naples

PaulyWally

Can anyone give me directions on how to walk to the Circumvesuviana station (Napoli-Porta Nolana--Corso Garibaldi) in Naples from the port? I've read that it is only about 3/4 mile from the port, but I can't find it on the Google map of Naples.

It's about a 20 min walk to the Circumvesuviana station on Corso Garribaldi. As you exit the cruise terminal turn right, keeping the port on your right. After about 1km turn left onto Corso Garribaldi - the station is about 300m on the right.

There is a tram and a bus from the port to the station.

To map it using google, put in Molo Beverello, Naples as your starting point and Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi 52, Naples as your end point. Be sure to ask for walking directions and, in miles, you'll see that it is 1.2 miles.

There's even a street view for the end point. If you turn the camera to the east (right), you'll see a picture of the Circumvesuviana ticket office (biglietteria).

It's about a 20 min walk to the Circumvesuviana station on Corso Garribaldi. As you exit the cruise terminal turn right, keeping the port on your right. After about 1km turn left onto Corso Garribaldi - the station is about 300m on the right.

There is a tram and a bus from the port to the station.

Hi;

Could you please clear my confusion, I have read that I buy a bus ticket at a kiosk with tourist info and I ride bus #1 in the median. I have also read that I catch

bus# R2 or #152, also tram #1,

1. Am I correct on the above directions.

2. I also read I can get the bus or Tram whichever comes first?

3. Which bus do I catch?

4. where do I validate my ticket?

Fellow vets can you help me out.

Thanks

Bob

You can buy a bus ticket at any newsstand. The price is 1,10 Euro per ticket.

From the main road in front of the port (Stazione Marittima), Via C. Colombo, you have two options: the #1 tram or the #152 bus.

Once on the bus or tram, look for a yellow box secured to a post. You insert the ticket into this machine and it stamps the date and time on the ticket, thereby validating it.

Thanks for the info, another question, Due to limited time, I have decided to visit Herculanim- the station I get off is "Ercolano".

I will also visit Oplontis- the station I get off is "Torre Annunciata" or is it "Villa Poppaea".

Am I correct, please clarify the above Oplontis confusion?

Are both station on the same train line?

which is closer, since I want to go to the farthest first and work my way back.

Thanks to all for assistance.

Bob

Thanks for the info, another question, Due to limited time, I have decided to visit Herculanim- the station I get off is "Ercolano".

I will also visit Oplontis- the station I get off is "Torre Annunciata" or is it "Villa Poppaea".

Am I correct, please clarify the above Oplontis confusion?

Are both station on the same train line?

which is closer, since I want to go to the farthest first and work my way back.

Thanks to all for assistance.

Bob

The station name is Torre Annunziata, although it may also say Villa Poppaeia.

Coming from Naples, Oplontis is the farther of the two; the Torre Annunziata stop is one stop past Pompeii Scavi. I don't recall exactly, but Herculaneum (Ercolano Scavi) is maybe 8-10 stops before Pompeii.

The station name is Torre Annunziata, although it may also say Villa Poppaeia.

Coming from Naples, Oplontis is the farther of the two; the Torre Annunziata stop is one stop past Pompeii Scavi. I don't recall exactly, but Herculaneum (Ercolano Scavi) is maybe 8-10 stops before Pompeii.

Thanks, so Oplontis is the farthest and it is farther than the Pompeii station?

Is Oplontis worth it, read so much about how it is a kept secret, but hate to spend so much time riding the train, any comments from others.

Thanks

Bob

Thanks, so Oplontis is the farthest and it is farther than the Pompeii station?

Is Oplontis worth it, read so much about how it is a kept secret, but hate to spend so much time riding the train, any comments from others.

Thanks

Bob

I haven't been yet but plan to go on my next visit to Naples. It looks fantastic.

Really, it's no farther than Pompeii; about half an hour on the train.

Good evening from Gunther

My suggestion is to take a taxi - Circumvesuviana is 2 and half miles far from the port of Naples.

Have a nice trip with the Circumvesuviaana.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone give me directions on how to walk to the Circumvesuviana station (Napoli-Porta Nolana--Corso Garibaldi) in Naples from the port? I've read that it is only about 3/4 mile from the port, but I can't find it on the Google map of Naples.

We walked from where our ship was docked to the Circumvesuviana in 15 minutes. It had to be less than a mile.

Exit the port, turn right, walk along by the water until you get to Corso Garibaldi (a major street, just past an old church on the left). Turn left on Garibaldi, go a couple blocks, and you’ll see the Circumvesuviana station on the right. It’s easily identifiable by the buses and taxis outside. You can also take the train to Pompeii from the main station, Napoli Centrale, two blocks further on, but I don’t recommend it. We got off at the main station when we came back, in order to see more of the city, and it’s much bigger and more confusing than the Circumvesuviana station. It was easy to buy our tickets and find our train at Circumvesuviana, and we were already seated when the hordes started pouring on at the main station. The tickets were 2.40 € per person; be sure to validate them.

The train ride to Pompeii Scavi took about 25 minutes.

I am looking at the Circumvesuviana website to review train departure times and there are many Naples stations listed. I see the Garibaldi station, but I think that is the main one on the square. Based on the directions above, it looks like the station we want is on Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi. What is the name of that station on the train website?

I am looking at the Circumvesuviana website to review train departure times and there are many Naples stations listed. I see the Garibaldi station, but I think that is the main one on the square. Based on the directions above, it looks like the station we want is on Corso Giuseppe Garibaldi. What is the name of that station on the train website?
Porta Nolana

Hi;

Could you please clear my confusion, I have read that I buy a bus ticket at a kiosk with tourist info and I ride bus #1 in the median. I have also read that I catch

bus# R2 or #152, also tram #1,

1. Am I correct on the above directions.

2. I also read I can get the bus or Tram whichever comes first?

3. Which bus do I catch?

4. where do I validate my ticket?

Fellow vets can you help me out.

Thanks

Bob

We took the bus, but by the time we bought a ticket, waited for the bus, and sat in Naples traffic it took over an hour to get to the station. On our return we walked from the station. It wasn't more than 30 minutes back to the ship and a lot less stress.

Thanks, I have read so many posts and figured it is about a 20 minute walk, so I think that would be better than the bus or perhaps share a cab with fellow travelers.

Now if I can figure which train card to buy, I want to visit Herculaneum and Oplontis + museum which I think would be a full day. I assume that Oplontis first on the train and work my way back.

Bob

We are also going to Herculaneum. We understand that the bus from Naples port will take us directly to the site. Whereas, if we take the train, the site is a 15 minute walk from the station. Has anyone done the bus to Herculaneum? How long did the bus ride take?

Lynne

It is confusing. Naples Centrale is the main train station, located in Piazza Garibaldi.

The Circumvesuviana station is connected to Naples Centrale by an underground passageway - it's a couple of floors below the train station.

They are close, but not exactly the same place.

This is all true... and if you are walking from the cruise port, it's a lot easier to get on at Circumvesuviana. You reach it first, and it's much smaller and less confusing.

We are also going to Herculaneum. We understand that the bus from Naples port will take us directly to the site. Whereas, if we take the train, the site is a 15 minute walk from the station. Has anyone done the bus to Herculaneum? How long did the bus ride take?

Lynne

Lynne;

Where did you find out about the Bus, this is the first I have heard of this, more inof please, I leave in 7 days.

Bob

The tickets were 2.40 € per person; be sure to validate them.

The train ride to Pompeii Scavi took about 25 minutes.

We are going in a couple of weeks time. All this info has been really useful.

Can you clarify what you mean by validating the tickets?

Someone mentioned a yellow box on a post for the bus,

is it the same thing for the train?

Also how frequent are the trains?

How much time should we allow from Pompeii back to the ship?

(Assume we are walking from the train station)

TIA.

Can you clarify what you mean by validating the tickets?

Someone mentioned a yellow box on a post for the bus,

is it the same thing for the train?

Yes. It's a yellow box on the train platform. Stick your ticket in, and it prints the date and time. If you can't get it to work, don't panic... just have a pen with you and write the date and time you board on the ticket. If you are inspected and your ticket isn't marked with the date & time, it's a big fine.

Also how frequent are the trains?

http://www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm has all the timetables.

How much time should we allow from Pompeii back to the ship?

(Assume we are walking from the train station)

36 minutes for the train, 20 for the walk.

Bob, look on pg.8 of these boards. "Walk from train station to Herculaneum." It explains where to find the bus. Also, somewhere on these boards I read it is a 10-15 min. downhill walk to the site from the train station. Therefore an uphill walk back to the station. If you find anything else, would appreciate knowing.

Lynne

Archived