Photos of HAL Staterooms/Cabins

IRL_Joanie

People who post photos on this site often include copyright caveats embedded in the image to restrict their free use. Those of us who post pictures without them (or send them to other members for their use) without such caveats are not worried about their own copyright rights.

OK I agree with you...How can you be positive that everyone on Cruise Critic has taken those pictures themselves? Do you honestly believe that every person on this site is honest?

If you were developiing a WEB page, How would you be able to guarantee that every person which sent you a picture took it with thier own camera without obtaining a written authorization from them..

This WEB site about legalities of developing a WEB page also states:

http://www.bitlaw.com/internet/webpage.html

Quote Free Images Off the Internet. Some web sites provide images that are for use by others. These images may be used in a web page, as long as the terms proposed by the image creator are followed. Typically, these sites only require that some type of credit is given to the author, including a link back to the author's site. However, there remains the possibility that the images were misappropriated at some point and were not original creations of the alleged author. In these cases, use of the images may infringe the copyright rights of the original author. Unquote

I bold-ed the last sentence..

Betty

Have you noticed that DutchByAssociation on his website uses many pictures that he freely admits are not only his NOT his own, but that he has no longer any idea where he got them or who took them?

Theoretically, yes, he could be sued for copyright infringement.

As a practical matter, however, it would be much more likely that the original photographer would simply ask (or insist) that the picture(s) be removed.

It would be a different matter entirely if DBA or IRL_Joanie were to use pictures obtained without the author's permission for the purpose making money with them in some way, but that is not the case IMO. IRL_Joanie told me that she would not even put links to richwmn's website on hers without Rich's permission, so I seriously doubt that she has some ulterior profit motive for attempting this cabin-photo database.

I really think you're making a mountain out of a molehill on this.

Edited by jtl513

Also, forgot to mention, that we belong to the Kodak Gallery WEB site & have all of our Amazon pictures in it..I can share it with anyone I want who wants to view these pics on=line...However we are restricted in reprinting, copying, or putting them on any other WEB site by this paragraph:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PrivacyStatement.jsp?Ucollid=90179130212.41632330212&Upost_signin_override_collid=90179130212.41632330212&UAUTOLOGIN_ID=11492046310

Quote Kodak Imaging Network is, unless otherwise stated, the owner of all copyright and database rights in the Service and its contents. You may not publish, distribute, extract, re-utilize or reproduce any such content in any material form (including photocopying or storing it in any medium by electronic means) other than in accordance with the limited use license set out in our Copyright Notice. Unquote

I would imagine that all the photo sharing WEB sites including Webshots or Photobucket etc have a similar copyright notice..

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; COLOR: rgb(51,51,51); FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt"><FONT size=3>Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Have you noticed that DutchByAssociation on his website uses many pictures that he freely admits are not only his NOT his own, but that he has no longer any idea where he got them or who took them?

Theoretically, yes, he could be sued for copyright infringement.

As a practical matter, however, it would be much more likely that the original photographer would simply ask (or insist) that the picture(s) be removed.

It would be a different matter entirely if DBA or IRL_Joanie were to use pictures obtained without the author's permission for the purpose making money with them in some way, but that is not the case IMO. IRL_Joanie told me that she would not even put links to richwmn's website on hers without Rich's permission, so I seriously doubt that she has some ulterior profit motive for attempting this cabin-photo database.

I really think you're making a mountain out of a molehill on this.

I've never even alluded to an ulterior motive by either Dutch or IRL Joannie..I'm sure they are not doing it for profit..All I'm asking is Is it legal to publish anothers pictures without getting written permission (not an e-mail) from that person..

I'm also questioning how she can be sure that the original picture was taken by the person who sent it to her..

In addition, DBA has HAL's full cooperation & an OK to continue his WEB site..

You may be correct, in thinking I'm making a mountain out of a molehill..

What came to mind was an article (believe it might have been in either Consumers or on the Internet) about a lady who published pictures & text from another person or company on her WEB site without giving the original Author credit & obtaining permission..They sued her & she lost because of a stupid mistake...Apparently some of the text was copyright protected..She then closed down her WEB site..

Betty

Who would have thought such a simple VOLUNTARY request would cause such a stir and so many opinions. :eek: If you think it is stupid, useless, illegal, a waste of time, or anything else just don't particiate.

Good luck with your project Joanie. I will be checking for the link. :)

Hi all,

Since joining CC I have noticed so many people requesting photos of the Stateroom/Cabin photos and descriptions of them.

What I am looking at doing, with your cooperation, is to create on my web site, a place to post all of the HAL ships Staterooms/cabins by ship and your descritions of them.

I know CC has a photo gallery for them, but very few ever post their photos there:(

So, if you click on my email below and send them to me, and Please put CC HAL Stateroom/Cabin in the subject line, and the Ships name and description of the Stateroom/Cabin, to include the Deck # and name and the Stateroom/Cabin number in the body of the message. I will get this project started:)

email: irl_joanie@yahoo.com

Imagine my amazement this morning when I checked my email:D Tons of photos from you all!! I am getting everything together as quickly and efficiently as I can, and hope to be able to release the URL for you all tomorrow.

Richwmn, I have most of the photos done as you suggested. Go take a look and let me know if it loads faster now:)

To all of you who are on board with this project, THANK YOU!! I really appreciate it and I know that people wanting to know what their cabins look like will love it also. Many of the photos also show the verandahs, and what the views are from them.

To all the nay sayers, to each his own. There is no money being made in this endeavor, it is a work of love and that is all. I will not respond to the negative posts and ask that everyone else not respond either.

But please know this, the people sending the photos are getting the full credit and I will have photo protection on each page. I've been a web master since 1996 and do know some of what I am doing. This includes Copyrights laws as I was also a Web Graphics artist/designer at a very large Internet site from 1997 until 2 years ago when I stepped down due to health reasons.

Keep the peace and remember that even here on Cruise Critics there is a place for people to upload their photos and full description, with other people in them. At least Cruise Critic unlike others named previously, do not let you post your photos at the cost of them making money off your photos.

So, let's calm down and be happy!!

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Who would have thought such a simple VOLUNTARY request would cause such a stir and so many opinions. :eek: If you think it is stupid, useless, illegal, a waste of time, or anything else just don't particiate.

Good luck with your project Joanie. I will be checking for the link. :)

I agree 100%. Some people on cc think they own the place and their words rule. It gets very tiresome.

Good luck Joanie.

I have posted 11 pictures of Prinsendam SY 068 -- last port stateroom on deck.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/573507124Ukylps

Good location 10 feet to Lifts -- Lido one deck up with lido deck great for taking pictures from ship (300 degee view)

We would book this great cabin again, again & again.:D

Ray

WOW! I can see why you'd book it again!! That is a GORGEOUS Cabin!!!

Excellent job Joanie. Now if you could just do Royal Caribbean :D:D:D:D

LOL, I might if I ever took one of their cruises and fell in love with the line. BUT, that ain't gonna ever happen as long as HAL sails anywhere:D

And many many thanks for the kudos:)

I have posted 11 pictures of Prinsendam SY 068 -- last port stateroom on deck.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/573507124Ukylps

Good location 10 feet to Lifts -- Lido one deck up with lido deck great for taking pictures from ship (300 degee view)

We would book this great cabin again, again & again.:D

Ray

JORAY, Is it possible for me to use your beautiful photos for the Web Site? If so you can email them to me (my email is below) and a description and I can add them to the Web Site.

Edited by IRL_Joanie
spelling