Who goes to Sitka and Hubbard Glacier?

TwoWeebles

I am planning a cruise to Alaska for next summer. Most likely June. I am reading on the boards that Sitka is a really great port to have on an itinerary. Problem is, I am really having a hard time finding a cruise that goes there. Which cruiselines have this port? Keep in mind, I am traveling with my husband and (will be by then) six year old son. I want my son to have fun on the ship and I hear that RCI has the best kids programs, so I am leaning towards them. They do not have Sitka on their itinerary.

Frankly all the major lines have good kids programs. My opinion only, but I wouldn't base my cruise choice on a kids program.

Your 6 year old, is going to be out enjoying the great ports with all your excellent tour plans. On the ship- it will be an adventure no matter who you sail with. IF Sitka is a priority for you, then look at HAL, which has your list. They do a fantastic job in Alaska.

I am planning a cruise to Alaska for next summer. Most likely June. I am reading on the boards that Sitka is a really great port to have on an itinerary. Problem is, I am really having a hard time finding a cruise that goes there. Which cruiselines have this port? Keep in mind, I am traveling with my husband and (will be by then) six year old son. I want my son to have fun on the ship and I hear that RCI has the best kids programs, so I am leaning towards them. They do not have Sitka on their itinerary.

The best advice I can give you is to find a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor (look for the agent's diploma on the wall, not just an agency sticker). Ask your friends and co-workers for a recommendation. The service is entirely free to you. ACC's are trained to find the very best cruise for you, after learning your personal situation and preferences, and work hard to get you the very best rate.

This is precisely the type of question an Accredited Cruise Counselor is equipped to answer. They will have the resources to tell you about ALL the cruises going to this itinerary, and help you decide which is the right one for you.

HAL is one line which does a good job on this itin. Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html. However bear in mind that this is ONE opinion based on ONE trip, as will be most of the advice you get on this board. The TA can give you a much broader range of options.

HAL does not have the reputation for great kid's programs that RCI or Princess do, but what we have seen of the kid's programs on HAL has looked very good. In Alaska they seem to have a good mix of ages aboard and quite a few kids. Often the Sitka itinerary is a smaller ship, so normally you would expect fewer kids aboard.

Frankly, as said above, I think your kid will have a great time in port or aboard the ship on any of the major mid market lines, HAL, Princess or RCI.

I know you will have a GREAT cruise!

After a quick trip to hollandamerica.com I came up with these ships. I think Carnival may go to Sitka as well, but I can't say for certain.

Sitka and Hubbard Glacier, you have 2 choices for a seven day, both round-trip from Seattle:

Ship: ms Rotterdam

Ports of Call: Seattle, Washington; Juneau, Alaska, US; Hubbard Glacier; Sitka, Alaska; Ketchikan, Alaska, US; Victoria Canada

Ship: ms Zaandam

Ports of Call: Seattle, Washington; Juneau, Alaska, US; Hubbard Glacier; Sitka, Alaska; Ketchikan, Alaska, US; Victoria Canada

You can also get to Sitka and Hubbard Glacier for a 14 day cruise round-trip seattle:

Ship: ms Amsterdam

Ports of Call: Seattle, Washington; Inside Passage Scenic Cruising; Ketchikan, Alaska, US; Tracy Arm, Alaska, USA; Skagway, Alaska; Sitka, Alaska; Anchorage, Alaska, US; Homer, Alaska, US; Kodiak, Alaska, US; Hubbard Glacier; Juneau, Alaska, US; Victoria Canada

Sitka in General (from Seattle):

Ship: ms Amsterdam(only in May)

Ports of Call: Seattle, Washington; Glacier Bay; Juneau, Alaska, US; Sitka, Alaska; Ketchikan, Alaska, US; Victoria Canada

Ship: ms Oosterdam

Ports of Call: Seattle, Washington; Glacier Bay; Juneau, Alaska, US; Sitka, Alaska; Ketchikan, Alaska, US; Victoria Canada

Ship: ms Zaandam

Ports of Call: Seattle, Washington; Juneau, Alaska, US; Glacier Bay; Sitka, Alaska; Ketchikan, Alaska, US; Victoria Canada

After a quick trip to hollandamerica.com I came up with these ships. I think Carnival may go to Sitka as well, but I can't say for certain.

Carnival will not be going to Sitka next year. They will be going round trip out of Seattle, and this port has been dropped.

Thanks to everyone who answered. Seems like only HAL is going to Sitka. I wonder why the other cruiselines don't go there if it's such a great port that everyone seems to love?

As far as the kids program, I think this will be higher priority for us than missing one stop. Young children are not happy to just be relaxing on a ship. They have too much energy for that. We took him once when he was three and it turned into a miserable trip for all of us because he was too young and not totally potty trained, therefore could not enjoy the kids program or the pools, or anything. Since it will be too chilly for the pool (I am guessing), I want him to be having fun doing something else on the ship.

Thanks to everyone who answered. Seems like only HAL is going to Sitka. I wonder why the other cruiselines don't go there if it's such a great port that everyone seems to love?

As far as the kids program, I think this will be higher priority for us than missing one stop. Young children are not happy to just be relaxing on a ship. They have too much energy for that. We took him once when he was three and it turned into a miserable trip for all of us because he was too young and not totally potty trained, therefore could not enjoy the kids program or the pools, or anything. Since it will be too chilly for the pool (I am guessing), I want him to be having fun doing something else on the ship.

I think you are making the right decision.

While we enjoyed Sitka on two different cruises, this would not have been my deciding factor either.

By the way, I know you mentioned that RCI has a very good children's program and I agree with that. Our experience is that Princess and Celebrity also have nice children's programs so you may want to consider these lines as well.

Keith

Archived