do we need reservations to see DAVID

bobbisailsolo

After our cruise ends we plan on taking the train to Florence for a day. I did not realize we need to purchase tickets in advance. We will be there the first week of November. Do you think the lines will be long then for the David and the Uffizi? What websites should be go to to order the tickets? We also thought we would do the Hop On Hop Off bus - has anyone done this in Florence? What about trains from Rome - any problem catching one?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. We have one day in Florence and want to do it all.

After our cruise ends we plan on taking the train to Florence for a day. I did not realize we need to purchase tickets in advance. We will be there the first week of November. Do you think the lines will be long then for the David and the Uffizi? What websites should be go to to order the tickets? We also thought we would do the Hop On Hop Off bus - has anyone done this in Florence? What about trains from Rome - any problem catching one?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. We have one day in Florence and want to do it all.

Yes, the lines are long, and you definitely should pre-book. The easiest way is to have your Florence hotel book your tickets for you; all of them do so very often for their guests.

While there is a website for the tickets, I found that it would not allow me to book the tickets too far in advance. Also, Rick Steve's updates indicated that others were reporting trouble with the website, including not getting vouchers they paid for. He recommended calling, which I did (with great trepidation) and it was very easy. The number is 011-39-055-294-883. There's a menu, and they tell you the number to push for "English"; you can book both museums with one phone call. I only booked the Uffizzi, so I can only speak to that for sure, but they ask the day you want the reservation for, which museum you want the tickets for, your last name, the number in your party, and the time you want. Then they tell you whether that time is available, and give you a voucher number. At the Uffizzi, you bypass the line and go to Gate 3. You bring the number with you, and pay cash at the sight, not in advance with a credit card. With only one day, you'll definitely want to avoid the lines! Good luck!

Thanks for all the information. What about tickets for the David? What website should I go to? We are not staying in a hotel in Florence, only in Rome, so will need to get these tickets ourselves.

The phone number listed above can also be used to make reservations for the Accademia (where David is).

If you call the phone number you can make reservations for both Uffizi and Accademia and not pay anything until you pick up your tickets. This is really a good way to go if you are there on a cruise stop in case ports are changed or days in ports are reversed or all the other fun things that can go wrong.....

Thanks for the advice. I phoned this morning for the Accademia for the David and it was easy...cost when I pick up the tickets will be 10 euros each.

We visited Accademia while in Florence last week (Thursday) and there were no lines. Our driver had already made a reservation for us, though, so we ended up using it and had to pay the reservation fee. It was 10E entrance fee and 4E reservation fee (total 14E) per person. There was a sign hanging outside the ticket box which seemed to indicate it was a recent increase.

I'm really glad we saw the David, but it did seem high considering the Accademia is so small.

My understanding is if you show up and there are no lines, you don't have to claim your reservation. Just purchase a ticket and go in. At least this is what I have read. We will see in 2 weeks!

That is another good reason why it is better to use the phone reservation line, which does not require pre-payment. :)

My understanding is if you show up and there are no lines, you don't have to claim your reservation. Just purchase a ticket and go in. At least this is what I have read. We will see in 2 weeks!

Yep, it's true. Also, the phone lines allow you to reserve for the AM, whereas the website offers PM times. Calling is the way to go.

Archived