NO balcony will I miss it?

wwinfl91

I think that it depends to some extent on where you're cruising. We've enjoyed our balcony when we were cruising in moderate climates, but if you pay a premium for a balcony in early Spring or late Autumn, and you're cruising in the Atlantic or Canada/new England routes, you could be uncomfortable. In addition, booking a balcony makes more sense if you're sailing with Princess, who might charge you a $300 premium per person for a balcony, compared to Holland America, who would be more than likely to charge you $1200 per person. We book a balcony when it makes sense to us, but by booking a good oceanview when we feel that it's appropriate (28 nite April Transatlantic / Baltics for instance), we've been able to take many more cruises than we would have taken if we insisted on a balcony every time.

We just booked a balcony, a HAL 10 day for about $1200 a person-the cheapest inside was $950 a person-so we spent an extra $500-worth it to us. We do not gamble and we drink very little-love those balconies!

Now I see, you are taking a 28 day cruise- well I doubt I will ever do one of them-at least not until my hubby retires-he can't be away from work more than 2 weeks at a time-even though he gets 5 weeks a year,heck, even if we could go for 28 days , $1200 would be worth it to us. That would not even be $50 a day

Thanks for the replies. There won't be any children with us, just the kids in both of us. We both enjoy Disney and figured there would be enough adult activities to keep us busy. I'm still hoping I won't miss the time on the balcony.

My wife has had health problems, (cancer) the last couple of years and usually takes an afternoon nap and that was where I would retreat so I wouldn't wake her up. I guess I will leave the cabin and find a quiet place to read during those times.

Have a great next cruise.

First of all let me say that your wife will be in my prayers. Second, while I love my balconies and never cruised without one, if I had a choice between taking a cruise with only a window or not taking a cruise because I could not have my balcony, I would choose the outside cabin in a heartbeat. There is more to cruising than just sitting on a balcony and spending quality time together with someone you love is where it all starts.

I see the OP has left as they said Sept. 9th. I think they will still enjoy their cruise. Disney Wonder is a beautiful ship and a regular room is the size of a suite on most other lines. They will enjoy their ocean view room.

The good thing about Disney is adult only areas are STRICTLY kept adult only. The OP will not have a hard time getting away from the kiddies, (we didn't) and he may even enjoy the Princess parade-we did-we loved seeing the excitement of all the little kids when they saw their "princesses."

Have you been on a Disney Cruise? There are many adults who go without children...plenty to do and a great ship! Hardly even see the kids unless you are at early dining.

To the OP...Disney has great rooms, so you may not miss the balcony at all. Have a great trip! I'm sure you will love it...

I agree with you. The children were not a problem at all.

My first cruise was an ocean view.

My second cruise was an inside.

I hated the inside and swore never to do one again.

My next cruise is once again an ocean view.

(Can't afford a balconcy, so don't bother dreaming of one lol)

Anyway, IMO, if you're thinking about it this much already, just go ahead and upgrade to a balcony (if you can afford it) - you don't want to spend the whole cruise upset about not having one.

Just go for it and have fun! :)

In our 16 cruises only 2 have been balconies, SA on the Westerdam and an 8G on the Splendor. All the rest have been OV.

Our next two cruises are booked as OV and BAL Guar. We book balconies only if we do not like the location of the OV. Pax are almost pushed into getting a balcony on the newer ships because of the placement of the public rooms, IMO.

Did I miss the balcony after the SA experience? No, but I sure missed the other stuff.

Our first cruise together was in an inside cabin. Our second we had a minisuite--before they had balconies. It was nice to have the larger bathroom and the larger sitting area and the large picture windows. But then we went back to regular outside cabins for a few cruises and managed fine without the extra room.

But when we took our first cruise with a balcony cabin, my partner said he could never go back to just an outside cabin. So I booked us an inside cabin. And we had a great time. The price difference was more than enough to cover our airfare, excursions, and onboard expenses--$800 per person.

Since then, we've had a couple more inside cabins, obstructed views, regular outside cabins, and balconies.

What we enjoy most about a balcony cabin is having room-service deliver breakfast. And then a glass of wine before dinner.

But if you just want a quiet outside place to read a book, I like the non-smoking side of the Promenade Deck.

I guess the OP has already left, so I hope they are having a great time.

I'll agree with the people here who are supportive of the Disney ships. Until you have cruised on one, there is no way to appreciate how nice the ship is...with or without kids. There are plenty of adult only areas onboard and it's a classy ship.

When we compare it to other ships we've cruised, it's up there with QM2 as far as decor and ambience.

My husband and I would cruise a Disney ship again if the opportunity came up. My older sister just went on a Disney ship this past June and loved it.

We cruised last Oct without a balcony in order to allow us to afford to take our DD and SIL on a cruise with us. :D:)

We did a very similar thing on our land-based vacation this summer. Stayed in a Super 8 instead of our usual type of hotel. Was the accommodation worse? Yes, absolutely. Was everything else (food, activities, entertainment) on the trip exactly the same? Yes, absolutely. Will we do this again? Of course it depends on the circumstances, but whenever we can afford better we'll book better.

On the other hand, you may find that this trip breaks the "spell" balcony cabins have over you and opens up a whole lot of new booking options for your future travels. Have a great time...I doubt we'll hear back from you that you wish you hadn't gone at all...:D

Happy Sails,

Annette

P.S. We've experienced almost every level of cabin accommodation; including insides! Good times every time!

Archived