?Transport Chair vs Regular Wheelchair

DavidsNana

My husband can walk on his own with a cane, stand on his own and is able to climb one flight of stairs. However, he has trouble walking for long distances. We have a transport chair that has 10" X2" wheels in the back and the small wheels in front. I have read here that it is recommended to have a full size large wheeled chair. May I ask why? This is new for us. Thanks for your assistance.

My husband can walk on his own with a cane, stand on his own and is able to climb one flight of stairs. However, he has trouble walking for long distances. We have a transport chair that has 10" X2" wheels in the back and the small wheels in front. I have read here that it is recommended to have a full size large wheeled chair. May I ask why? This is new for us. Thanks for your assistance.

Hi,

I have used a transport chair for my Wife on cruise. Trouble comes in going over raised areas on gangplanks and entryways and at the various seems and doors in the passageways. The smaller wheels usually require you to turn around and go over obstacle backwards or risk jostleing person in chair out of seat.However, it can be managed, so I would not invest in a new chair just for the cruise. But if you can borrow one, it would be better.

Mike

with a transport chair the small rear wheels mean that the person using the chair cannot move themselves around; someone always has to be there to push them, even just to change position - let's say to get in or out of the sun. Therefore, the use of a transport chair means that the disabled person using it becomes entirely dependent on another for movement. With a standard wheelchair with the large rear wheels, the person in the chair can move themselves from on place to another - up and down corridors, in and out of elevators - they have much more independence:)

Anything with small wheels doesn't move well over any surface other than smooth tile, linoleum, that sort of thing. They're hard to move on anything but the tightest carpet, hard to move over uneven surfaces, even if that "unevenness" are cracks in the sidewalk, almost impossible to move on rougher terrain like cobblestones or gravel, and may as well not be used at all if you're moving on dirt or sand.

And the person IN the chair has no mobility at all, as it can only be pushed by someone else. (well, in your husbands case where he can stand and walk some, this might not be so much of an issue..)

And if you're sitting in one for a long time, they're much less comfortable than a regular manual wheelchair.

Where he only uses the chair for specific purposes, you should look in your local paper, where you can often find manual collapsible chairs for $50 or so, and then you can use it for lots of other purposes.

Many communites have a lending closet that loan items such as wheel chairs on a short term temporary basis . Maybe a week or 2. These lending closets in my area are organized through the Local Township Seniors Social Services Dept. Not certain if there's one available in your community but it's worth a try. You usually have to be placed on waiting so best to check as soon as possible.

I have two problems with the transport chairs (which are fine in an airport with their flat floors) first, my husband says they are much harder to push and tire him out over any distance. Second, I call them tooth busters. Every bump is transferred to your body and in my mouth the bumps cause my teeth to ache for several hours after I am out of the chair. It is much more comfortable for me to sit in the regular chair. I can still walk short distances and basically used the transport chair as a wheeled walker since sitting in it was so unsatisfactory.

Thanks to everyone who answered my question. The mobility issue of him not being able to move himself in the chair is not an issue as he is very mobile, just not good with long distances. I have no trouble with the transport chair that we have pushing it over carpet of all kinds, I think maybe it is because of the large wheels in the back. But the going over rough spots may be an issue. I will either get a regular chair here before we go or rent one to be delivered to the ship so that I don't have to load and unload it. Thanks again for the first hand adivse.

No one has suggested a rollator (walker with a seat) as you husband can walk but just needs to sit for a while to rest. This might be a good solution for him. They are also very handy if you have to stand in any lines, and he can have something to hold onto which might make it easier to walk for a longer time.

As someone that needs a wheelchair for distance, (I am an amputee with a good prosthesis) the transport chair is very very uncomfortable, you feel every bump and it is very frustrating not to be able to move the chair when you want or need to. I am a speed demon (according to my husband) in my regular chair!

You can still ask for assistance in the airport (just tell them you have your own chair) and getting help on and off the ship will be no problem either, the crew will provide a chair if you need it.

No one has suggested a rollator (walker with a seat) as you husband can walk but just needs to sit for a while to rest. This might be a good solution for him. They are also very handy if you have to stand in any lines, and he can have something to hold onto which might make it easier to walk for a longer time.

As someone that needs a wheelchair for distance, (I am an amputee with a good prosthesis) the transport chair is very very uncomfortable, you feel every bump and it is very frustrating not to be able to move the chair when you want or need to. I am a speed demon (according to my husband) in my regular chair!

You can still ask for assistance in the airport (just tell them you have your own chair) and getting help on and off the ship will be no problem either, the crew will provide a chair if you need it.

I have used a rollator for several years as I can not stand long or walk but a very short distance. I couldn't travel without it and have now added a Go Go travel scooter while on the ship. The rollator as in the picture folds rather flat for easy transport.

rollator.jpg.bb05198e97c9465739a050b071e20194.jpg

We use a transport chair for the airport and have a power chair rented and waiting in the cabin. My dh sits on a tempurpedic pillow in the trans chair. It almost makes up for the awful seat, lessens the bumps just a wee bit and assures us of his being able to sit., plus hehehe it's a nice thing to have a full size pillow for napping on flights. I've learnt my lesson about using a trans. on on the ship--way way too hard just as others have said ( especially on the lines with big treads tween the sections or a raise in the height (ramp) getting to the theater. Also, if you don't want to go somewhere and he does..he's trapped.

I'd just like to give some feedback about a transport chair. I just purchased one for my mom and used it on a 5 day cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. For us it was fantastic and I wish I had bought it sooner. However, I can see where it would not be for everyone. First of all, my mother can walk, but not long distances. She weighs 105 lbs. and would not have the strength to run a wheelchair herself. I purchased a Medline chair with handbrakes for about $165 on Amazon. It has the large rear wheels and is very sturdy considering how lightweight it is. I had no problem pushing it on the carpeted halls. Some "bumps" did not require tilting the chair to get over. For the larger bumps the chair has a foot peddle on each side that you can press down on to tilt the front wheels to go over the bump. This was really easy to do. Mom also said that the chair was very comfortable for her - she only used a small back pillow for extra support.

For this trip we had an aft cabin, so the transport chair enabled me to easily get my mom to the theater and the fitness center at the front of the ship. We were also able to do the Royal Promenade plus the pool deck. These were all areas that Mom had had difficulty getting to with a walker. For the dining room we just parked the chair outside and walked to our table, which was close to the door.

Thanks for your relating experiences. This is exactly the type of transport chair that we have except a different brand. I find it fine for pushing my husband around here and he weights 175 lbs. He is able to walk quite well except for distances as you say your mom does. He is also able to do up to 14 stairs (we have this many in our house). He has a back problem and even after 3 surgeries walking for distances causes much pain much to his dismay as he was a runner in earlier years and then used to walk at least 3 miles a day before his last back surgery 2 years ago. I was going to rent a regular chair for the cruise but am reconsidering now that you have given your experiences. Thanks so much.

We used our own chair for boarding. Very easy. They provided a person to assist us for embarking and disembarking. My mother was extremely satisfied with the whole experience and is absolutely thrilled with the chair. This was our 3rd cruise on the Explorer and she was able to get places she had never been before because of the distances. It really expanded the horizons of the cruise for her.

I had purchased a transport chair for my mother for a cruise on Craigslist. I listened to the advice given here and then purchased a wc. We took it on the airplane and through all terminals. It was an excellent choice.

As I was looking for signs of where we needed to be I did not see a BIG crack in the street. I bounced her in the chair and I let out a yell but it did not dump her out. I feel sure that if I had the transport chair even with the large wheels we would have been on the asphalt!:eek:

It depends on how much you will be using it and where you are going but I am very grateful for the advice this group gave me!

PS-She was never one for cruising but now we are planning for her 90th birthday on the Emerald Princess!

Archived