Archaeological Museum of Naples

nccruiser47

I walked up to the museum several years ago and this July we walked back from the museum to the port. It's not far, a little over a mile, but from the port to the museum is mostly uphill. Not a steep climb, but that slow, steady uphill that kills the thighs.

The most direct route isn't as interesting as walking up Via Toledo, a main shopping district, but either works. Via Toledo will add about a quarter mile to the walk, so maybe you'd want to save this for the return trip when you're headed downhill.

You can create a google map using these starting and ending points, but be sure to use the pedestrian route, otherwise you get a longer route due to one way streets:

(start): Molo Angioino, 80133 Naples, Italy

(end): Piazza Museo ****onale, 19, 80135 Naples

Edited to add:

I forgot that the auto editing on this site won't let me write the street name in Naples because the first four letters are the same as the common name for the German party in power during WW II

You might want to check out the bus lines for the trip up to the museum. In 2006, we exited the ship by Molo Beverello, crossed the street (Via Cristoforo Colombo) using the stop light on the right, bought the bus ticket at a newstand, walked up and crossed the next street (Via Agostino Depretis) where you'll see the bus stop "Via Depretis" with a sign indcating the arrival times of the buses. At that time, either bus R1 or R4 would get you to the museum. (but this was 3 years ago, so you might want to check the PDF file that shows the routes.) People on board were very helpful in making sure we got off at the right stop for the museum.

While in the area, be sure to visit Cappella San Severo, Via F. De Sanctis, 17/21, 081 534 1600, which has one of the most beautiful marble sculptures I have ever seen! It's called The Veiled Christ.

http://www.museosansevero.it/inglese/cappellasansevero/cristovelato.html

It's incredible.

Monica

Has anyone walked to this Museum from the port? Just wondering how easy it is to get to and about how far it is. It looks easy on Rick Steves' maps, but you never know.

Thanks for any information you have!!

On our trip to Naples in July, we went to Pompeii in the morning, then came back to town to see some of sites on the Rick Steves' walking tour, including the museum. The museum was very worthwhile, but we ended up taking a taxi back to the port. That part of Naples isn't scenic and crossing the streets in traffic can be pretty scary. The time we saved taking the cab allowed us to see the area around the Opera House. Good luck!

1. Have an absolutely woooonderful time in Italy......especially Naples, Pompeii and the surrounding areas. You won't believe what you'll see.....memories to last a lifetime.

2. I'm sure you've been told this before but I will chime in also.........

W A T C H Y O U R C A M E R A S ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Not to scare you, as you will never fear for your life, which is more than I can say for some U. S. cities. However.......you have to understand tourists are the main employer in Naples and not everyone works in the hotel or restaurant industry. Pickpockets and opportunists are common and things can happen quickly. Be aware, don't be nieve, and besides all that, have a woooonderful time!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived