buying cigarettes onboard????

brwneyez424

Yes.

It is a great deal, however be advised it exceeds duty free allowances.

Unless you're cruising with 5 people over 21. When we cruise with friends or relatives who don't smoke, we just have them each claim a carton. Or, as in our case, we buy the 5 carton special and usually end up with only 2 cartons by the end of a 7 day cruise, so we're still under the allowance..

Got off the Glory yesterday and they only had a few brands available. Marlboro reds and lights and a few Benson & Hedges. No menthol at all! They were $24.95 per carton or 2 for $45.00 Didn't price the 5 pack but found out that the duty tax on over 1 carton per person is .80 cents a pack or $8.00 a carton. Only allowed one carton per person. People were buying them like crazy so supplies are very limited on board. If you smoke a certain brand, bring your own just in case you can't find what you want.

Isn't there some sort of limits for bringing cigarettes into the U.S. that you buy on the

ship? I do believe that cigarettes are less expensive if you happen to be going to St.

Thomas and also the allowance is higher than if bought on the ship. It's like that for

liquor......buying on the ship only one bottle is allowed, but if bought in St. Thomas the

allowance goes to five bottles. ;)

Anybody ever just stashed the cartons in your checked luggage? Do you think it would get searched? Is it just Random searches they do upon disembarkation? Would it be better to carry them off in a carry-on bag? Thanks!

Edeno

Anybody ever just stashed the cartons in your checked luggage? Do you think it would get searched? Is it just Random searches they do upon disembarkation? Would it be better to carry them off in a carry-on bag? Thanks!

Edeno

I have always 'just stashed the cartons in my checked luggage". Never have I had a problem over the last 10 years or so of cruising.

JimmyJames

PS> Various cruise lines.

So you stash them in your luggage and lie when the customs officer asks if you have anything to declare?

Customs usually asks if you had a good vacation. We always pack them in luggage, hubby had a hissy fit our first cruise when we found out we were over the custom limit. No problems ever, knock wood, but if we had to pay duty free I would. Mexican cigs do taste different fyi. Cheap, but different.

Archived