NEW HAL Mariner Program NOW on website

piedmont

Well thank you very much HAL. We have been looking for our next cruise that would take us to or over the 100 days to get the medallion and now it is NO MORE. So after our next cruise we will now just look to all cruise lines for our next cruise. There is no incentive for us, because will never cruise enough to reach the 200 cruise credit level. Out TA had already recently suggested another cruise line to us and but we said no because we wanted to get the 100 day medallion besides the fact that we very much enjoy cruising on HAL. I am really disappointed, I know thing is a little childish, but so am I. Princess, RCCL, etc. watchout here we come.

You can have those other companies been there done that! HAL is the only one for us now. WE will stay with HAL no matter what!!

I know lots of people have looked forward to getting a medallion hung around their neck. But the disappearance of those doesn't bother me at all. I think some of these new perks will be of benefit to lots of people ... like the discount on mini-bar contents and drink packages, for instance.

Well thank you very much HAL. We have been looking for our next cruise that would take us to or over the 100 days to get the medallion and now it is NO MORE. So after our next cruise we will now just look to all cruise lines for our next cruise. There is no incentive for us, because will never cruise enough to reach the 200 cruise credit level. Out TA had already recently suggested another cruise line to us and but we said no because we wanted to get the 100 day medallion besides the fact that we very much enjoy cruising on HAL. I am really disappointed, I know thing is a little childish, but so am I. Princess, RCCL, etc. watchout here we come.

I am also extremely disappointed in the new Mariner's plans and or lack of incentives for us.

HOWEVER, I will not switch cruise lines just because of the lack of incentives given to me. I will continue to book HAL because of its classiness and care that I receive while on my cruise.

It is the Cruise itself that makes my vacation and memories complete, NOT the Incentives or goodies (though I do LOVE the goodies!!)

Joanie

CREDITS for onboard spending starts September 2010............as I understand it.
Two consecutive paragraphs in the FAQs state:

Onboard Spending Bonus Effective with cruises on or after September 18, 2010, one bonus cruise day credit will be granted for each $300 in onboard purchases. This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill. There is a limit of one bonus day for each day sailed, and 3rd and 4th guests on the same booking do not earn the onboard spending bonus.

Will I receive credit for cruises taken in the past?

Yes, guests receive Cruise Day credits for all previous Holland America Line cruises and Alaska cruisetours. Bonus Cruise Day credits for suite purchases and onboard spending is a new feature applied to sailings departing on or after September 18, 2009.

I'm guessing the 2010 date is the one that is wrong.

Ok ... what extra amenities are offered as incentive for people to push for 300 days? Or 500 days? Or 700 days? There's NOTHING, no recognition at all, for accumulating anything beyond 200 Days.
Kinda reminds me of the book title One, Two, Three ... Infinity. :D (which comes from a primitive tribe whose counting system was simply 1, 2, 3, many)

Big whoop. Looks like a whole lot o' nothing to me. I already have well over 400 days, and was looking forward to getting my gold medallion---perhaps when RevNeal got his silver. That would have been fun.

With this program all I seem to get, at least that I can use, is the half-price on the Pinnacle. I prefer to do my own laundry; I already get priority check-in, as I use a wheelchair; I don't want a wine package; I already get the Planner; and I don't expect the Mariners' Magazine to come any more regularly than it does now---which is to say, not at all.

I agree with Greg, HAL is saying "When you hit 200 days, feel free to start with another line."

I totally agree with you. I feel we are not switching cruise lines, but now if we see or our TA recommends one we will be more open to try it. We have been on several other lines, but not the last six which total 82 days. As I mentioned earlier, Princess, RCCL, maybe even Celebrity, we will now consider them, where as before we hadn't given them a thought.

They have duplicated Suite benefits for Four Star Mariners:

Complimentary laundry and dry cleaning

Priority Tendering

Priority Check In and

Priority Disembark

Two hundred points or days really is not that much which means many people now qualify for things we pay for in Suites. Will we get double dry cleaning? :D Maybe they'll wash the t-shirt twice? :D

The first thing that went through my mind was "Oh, no ... Sail isn't going to like this!" ;) However ... note ... the Laundry 4-Star Mariners will get "for free" does NOT include Dry Cleaning. Yours will. Hence, being a peon on the lower decks with the other rowers, I can get my shorts washed for "free," but I will still have to pay to have my tuxedo dry-cleaned. Your husband won't have to pay to have his Tuxedo dry cleaned.

Maybe Suite amenities we have bought will 'trump' Mariners 4 star perks. Perhaps Suite guests go still to a Suite check in line which is different than the Mariners 4 Star Priority check in line? There are going to be a whole lot of folks with 200 points on every cruise.

My guess is that there will probably still be a Suite check-in line that will be separate from the 4-Star Mariner line. As you point out, on some cruises that 4-Star Mariner line will be LONG. Ditto with regard to "complimentary" laundry (do they say "how nice your shorts look, Reverend Neal"??? ... I mean, where's the compliment???) your husband's shorts will probably be ahead of mine in the pecking order -- his might get done quicker than mine -- AND, of course (and as I pointed out above), he'll still get his suite dry cleaned for free, while I'll still have to pay for mine.

It may also be that Suite Guests may get additional perks to replace those being handed out to us peons whose only claim to fame is that we have 200+ days in our Mariner history. I wouldn't worry too much.

Yes, dry cleaning is included for four star Mariners according to Rev's large post outlining different levels.

No, Dry Cleaning is not included.

From the FAQ page:

What is included under complimentary laundering and pressing service?

Normal laundry and pressing service is included for qualifying Mariners. Dry cleaning and express service is not complimentary and will be charged at normal rates.

I know lots of people have looked forward to getting a medallion hung around their neck. But the disappearance of those doesn't bother me at all. I think some of these new perks will be of benefit to lots of people ... like the discount on mini-bar contents and drink packages, for instance.

Oh, I agree... the perks are very nice. I'm not at all complaining about them. I just think that it is a bit short-sited of HAL to not go beyond 200 Days with at least a token recognition. Why take away the 300, 500, and 700 day levels? That makes no sense to me? Even if they don't give a clunky medallion, a pin costs next to nothing and it would be at least a "thank you" for moving on up beyond the 200-Day level.

Me ... I BEGIN the new program at the 4-Star Mariner Level. What more incentive is it for me to strive for 300 Days, since there is no recognition at that level?? There's nothing. I've been thinking about when I would hit my Silver Medal cruise -- it would have been in 2011, at the rate I'm currently accumulating Days. Not any more. All the more reason to think about accumulating days on Princess. Or Cunard. Or (gasp) Celebrity!

The first thing that went through my mind was "Oh, no ... Sail isn't going to like this!" ;) However ... note ... the Laundry 4-Star Mariners will get "for free" does NOT include Dry Cleaning. Yours will. Hence, being a peon on the lower decks with the other rowers, I can get my shorts washed for "free," but I will still have to pay to have my tuxedo dry-cleaned. Your husband won't have to pay to have his Tuxedo dry cleaned.

Greg....... Truly, it is all fine with me whatever they do. We will never stop sailing HAL because of some new perks program.

My point is DH does not get his tuxedo dry cleaned for free. He pays a high fare for the suite and dry cleaning is paid for included in that fare.

Fine by me whatever tuxedo or shorts they want to wash, press or dry clean. :D

My guess is that there will probably still be a Suite check-in line that will be separate from the 4-Star Mariner line. As you point out, on some cruises that 4-Star Mariner line will be LONG. Ditto with regard to "complimentary" laundry (do they say "how nice your shorts look, Reverend Neal"??? ... I mean, where's the compliment???) your husband's shorts will probably be ahead of mine in the pecking order -- his might get done quicker than mine -- AND, of course (and as I pointed out above), he'll still get his suite dry cleaned for free, while I'll still have to pay for mine.

It may also be that Suite Guests may get additional perks to replace those being handed out to us peons whose only claim to fame is that we have 200+ days in our Mariner history. I wouldn't worry too much.

We're certainly lots of days over 200 and had imagined getting to Platinum in the foreseeable future but guess that won't happen. Given the days we already have and those booked, we will be something around 600 days at that point, I think.

Any change takes adjustment and it will take us a few days to get used to the changes and then move along.

It really isn't a particularly big deal to us.

I totally agree with you. I feel we are not switching cruise lines, but now if we see or our TA recommends one we will be more open to try it. We have been on several other lines, but not the last six which total 82 days. As I mentioned earlier, Princess, RCCL, maybe even Celebrity, we will now consider them, where as before we hadn't given them a thought.

Be aware, that with RCCL, there is an EXTRA charge of $15 for steak in their Main Dining Room, as well as an EXTRA charge for Room Service from 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.!

Be aware that with Celebrity (X), you are permitted to bring onboard at embarkation, ONLY two (2) bottles of wine, the corkage fee in the dining room is $25 per bottle, and the surcharge for dining in their specialty restaurants is $30!

Looks like I'm another who'll have to shop on eBay to get my 100 day medallion :eek:

I'll be "3 star" on my next cruise, which is nice....but there will be 3 people in our suite, and only 2 will get credit for the double days. Wonder how they'll decide who gets what?

Well, I can live with that.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how great it would be to get half off wine packages (etc.) That's a real savings for a wine drinker like me. Still, 25% off I'll get is not to be sneezed at.

P.S. - just got the copper medallion with shipping - $15 on eBay.

Big whoop. Looks like a whole lot o' nothing to me. I already have well over 400 days, and was looking forward to getting my gold medallion---perhaps when RevNeal got his silver. That would have been fun.

With this program all I seem to get, at least that I can use, is the half-price on the Pinnacle. I prefer to do my own laundry; I already get priority check-in, as I use a wheelchair; I don't want a wine package; I already get the Planner; and I don't expect the Mariners' Magazine to come any more regularly than it does now---which is to say, not at all.

I agree with Greg, HAL is saying "When you hit 200 days, feel free to start with another line."

Dear Ruthless ... I'm thinking ... e-bay often has Silver and Gold Medals for auction. Let's keep our eyes pealed and bid on 'em, then have our OWN ceremony!!!!!!!!!! :D ;)

Onboard Spending Bonus Effective with cruises on or after September 18, 2010, one bonus cruise day credit will be granted for each $300 in onboard purchases. This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill. There is a limit of one bonus day for each day sailed, and 3rd and 4th guests on the same booking do not earn the onboard spending bonus.

Yes, guests receive Cruise Day credits for all previous Holland America Line cruises and Alaska cruisetours. Bonus Cruise Day credits for suite purchases and onboard spending is a new feature applied to sailings departing on or after September 18, 2009.

Kinda reminds me of the book title One, Two, Three ... Infinity. :D (which comes from a primitive tribe whose counting system was simply 1, 2, 3, many)

Well, we'll earn 1,000 days in no time!!! Our last onboard bill was ridiculous. We got flagged for customs, lol! :eek:

I was really looking forward to hitting the 300 day mark though....

So......

Those of us who were around HAL the last time they made a change to Mariners Program and introduced new Medallions and the solid dark blue ribbons remember the Mariners who continued to wear their old Medallions along with the new one. Certainly no one ever discouraged anyone from doing that.

How many Mariners do you think will continue to wear their Medallions to the Brunch? I don't suppose anyone would discourage that at all.

I will miss the photos we got with Captain and Hotel Manager at Mariners Reception. I loved having those momentos from our cruises.

Those who have Medallions...... Will you continue to wear them to Mariners Brunch? Should make for lots of questions from folks who have never seen or heard of them. :eek:

Greg....... Truly, it is all fine with me whatever they do. We will never stop sailing HAL because of some new perks program.

I understand, Judy ... I truly do. That's why I put the ;) in.

My point is DH does not get his tuxedo dry cleaned for free. He pays a high fare for the suite and dry cleaning is paid for included in that fare.

I understand that ... and his Tuxedo is still covered by what you pay for your Suite. Along with Express service. Again, my bet is that they'll give y'all something extra to make up for the double-dipping from your 4-Star Mariner Status.

Wouldn't you think that when HAL rolls out something new that they'd at least give a proofreader a shot at the text before putting it on the website? Seems kinda sloppy on the editing front ... then again, Packing for Alaska likely still talks about informal nights.

Interesting changes ahead. We were so pleased to receive that first pin. Will now enjoy the new plan but.... wish that for those who have such amazing days accumulated on HAL that they would continue to receive the medallions. The Mariner plan could accomodate those plus these new changes very easily in my opinion. The old adage..Keep the customer happy!

Archived