Read this before booking with carvinal

notalandlover

I expect this post with cause some flames and that's fair. Since a lot of people use this community for cruising information I wanted to post my experiences with CCL.

1. Last year I booked with an online TA for the Mexican Riveria. Everything was ok until the swine flu hit and my cruise was changed to a northern schedule. My family and I cancelled it. I admit that I didn't know when you book through anyone else besides CCL they cannot answer questions about your booking since they didn't complete the resveration. This was something I didn't know. My TA stated she didn't have the time to wait for over one hour on the phone with CCL and cancel the resveration. It took several days for cancellation of the resveration to occur and I wasn't able to book another cruise with CCL since my travel dates were fixed.

2. When we booked our shore excursions online with CCL no one was able to answer questions expept the information techology dept. CCL doesn't have a shore excursion dept according to the IT dept.

3. Information tech dept told me some of my excursions may not happen after I booked them since the contract with the excursion company may not be renewed.

4. CCL did give me a credit on another cruise until 12/2010. When I called and asked for a refund they said, No. I might be able to get a partical refund if I fax a letter to the cooperate office explaining my circumstances as to why I needed the refund.

5. I decided to book another cruise to Mexico for next year. The previous TA released the credit to CCL at my request. It took a lot of hold time for CCL to confirm the reservation was released. I asked CCL if I could book a crusie for two for the wife and I only. CCL stated yes but I would lose the entire credit for the third person. I explained numerous times the third person was my 14 year old child. I was told sorry. If I didn't book my son again I would lose everything I had already prepaid for the third person. This was because the original reservation was for three people and therefore so the credit was for three people.

6. I asked if any of my credits can be used for shore excursions. I was told only if they're booked onboard. Many of us know that popular excursions sell out fast and by the time you get on board your trip might be sold out.

I love crusing and will do it a lot more. I learned about cruise critic while on a crusie to Alaska two years ago. Anyway thank you for letting me rant.

Flame on.

Well, you can say also, you were lucky you were allowed to cancel due to the loop hole of Carnival changing the itinerary.... and you get credit you can use, just like everyone else.

Other than you are being forced to book your son or you cant get him the credit you got for a last minute cancellation, I dont see any other problems.

We wait all the time to book once onboard. Get over it? Enjoy your upcoming cruise. Up to you if you want to book your son or not. You got more than most can get with last minute cancellations, the chance to change your dates.

Huh???????

:confused:

the old complaints are coming out of the woodwork. This was regarding a cruise last May... they got credit for a upcoming cruise if they choose to cancel (which the OP apparantly decided to do) because they didnt like the new ports, when the ship couldnt go to Mexico.

Strange to post this now though since the cruise was last May the OP cancelled.

Hi:

Thanks for your post. No need to flame in my opnion. I do see a negative experience not because of Carnival, but because of booking through an online TA and not really knowing who you were dealing with.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If I had a nickel for every person that books through an online TA without doing their research and then gets screwed, I'd have my next cruise paid by now! :)

I have been booking through the same PVP (Carnival Personal Vacation Planner) for 5 years now. The reason why I keep going back to her is not because she gives me the lowest price, but because she's there the whole way to help me with ANYTHING concerning my travel plans.

The best piece of advice that I can give you is that before you book your next cruise, that you ask a lot of questions, make sure that you're dealing with someone competent, professional, with excellent customer service. That way, if you ever have another situation where you need assistance, the experience is a bit smoother.

I expect this post with cause some flames and that's fair. Since a lot of people use this community for cruising information I wanted to post my experiences with CCL.

1. Last year I booked with an online TA for the Mexican Riveria. Everything was ok until the swine flu hit and my cruise was changed to a northern schedule. My family and I cancelled it. I admit that I didn't know when you book through anyone else besides CCL they cannot answer questions about your booking since they didn't complete the resveration. This was something I didn't know. My TA stated she didn't have the time to wait for over one hour on the phone with CCL and cancel the resveration. It took several days for cancellation of the resveration to occur and I wasn't able to book another cruise with CCL since my travel dates were fixed.

2. When we booked our shore excursions online with CCL no one was able to answer questions expept the information techology dept. CCL doesn't have a shore excursion dept according to the IT dept.

3. Information tech dept told me some of my excursions may not happen after I booked them since the contract with the excursion company may not be renewed.

4. CCL did give me a credit on another cruise until 12/2010. When I called and asked for a refund they said, No. I might be able to get a partical refund if I fax a letter to the cooperate office explaining my circumstances as to why I needed the refund.

5. I decided to book another cruise to Mexico for next year. The previous TA released the credit to CCL at my request. It took a lot of hold time for CCL to confirm the reservation was released. I asked CCL if I could book a crusie for two for the wife and I only. CCL stated yes but I would lose the entire credit for the third person. I explained numerous times the third person was my 14 year old child. I was told sorry. If I didn't book my son again I would lose everything I had already prepaid for the third person. This was because the original reservation was for three people and therefore so the credit was for three people.

6. I asked if any of my credits can be used for shore excursions. I was told only if they're booked onboard. Many of us know that popular excursions sell out fast and by the time you get on board your trip might be sold out.

I love crusing and will do it a lot more. I learned about cruise critic while on a crusie to Alaska two years ago. Anyway thank you for letting me rant.

Flame on.

Everything you have listed is perfectly normal. I don't understand why you would expect to get flamed.

All you need to do anyway is go to Carnival's website and read the Ticket Contract, terms and conditions, legal policy, itinerary changes, etc. It's all there..

And, if an agent told me he was "too busy" to take care of me, I'd not be giving him anymore business, for sure.

Does the OP really think by reading this that I would go OMG, yes I need to cancel my Carnival cruise :rolleyes:

I have to laugh at some of the threads lately. They go on a cruise months ago and come now to complain. Guess they were spending the summer outside and could not be bothered to post about it when it happened.

To the OP, how can you blame Carnival for something that was not their fault. You were the one that booked, you were the one that canceled. Do your homework before you book, after you book and if you have to cancel make sure you know just what your rights are. And most important, book with either a reputable TA or a Carnival PVP. If you want to book on the cheap, expect to get what you have paid for.

I agree that Carnival handled these swine flu cruises very poorly. We were lucky enough to have booked thru RCCL when this happened and we were offered 100% refund..........which would have solved your problem.........

They have got you sorta by the huevos on this deal......you have a deadline in order to use your credit so you need to make the best of it........then move on........

Carnival Corp. definetly has its shortcoming. But in this case I don't see that the OP has a problem with Carnival. The TA is failing to do their job. I am sure the TA thinks that there is no money it for them so why bother. One more reason to book directly thru a PVP. Middlemen, who needs them!

I agree that Carnival handled these swine flu cruises very poorly. We were lucky enough to have booked thru RCCL when this happened and we were offered 100% refund..........which would have solved your problem.........

They have got you sorta by the huevos on this deal......you have a deadline in order to use your credit so you need to make the best of it........then move on........

I agree, RCL giving a full refund was better than having a credit for the cancelled cruise with a limited time to use it ...others have complained ... but at least they were able to cancel if they choose to, or they could have still cuised. ... it is what it is. At least they could cancel, even if they didnt get cash in hand. Carnival's terms say they can cancel, it doesnt say people will get a refund, Carnival is tricky that way. ...

OP I still hold the Ike cruise and lack of service over Carnival. They handled it poorly, but you just gotta move forward. Great remember you are unhappy, and take steps to do better next time.

Hi:

Thanks for your post. No need to flame in my opnion. I do see a negative experience not because of Carnival, but because of booking through an online TA and not really knowing who you were dealing with.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If I had a nickel for every person that books through an online TA without doing their research and then gets screwed, I'd have my next cruise paid by now! :)

I have been booking through the same PVP (Carnival Personal Vacation Planner) for 5 years now. The reason why I keep going back to her is not because she gives me the lowest price, but because she's there the whole way to help me with ANYTHING concerning my travel plans.

The best piece of advice that I can give you is that before you book your next cruise, that you ask a lot of questions, make sure that you're dealing with someone competent, professional, with excellent customer service. That way, if you ever have another situation where you need assistance, the experience is a bit smoother.

Out of ALL the posts on this thread, yours is the most intelligent.

Hi:

This is exactly my feeling as well. My PVP is there for me if I have any questions or need changes.

This is exactly my feeling as well. My PVP is there for me if I have any questions or need changes.

I love my PVP. He was on HIS vacation when Gustav changed our cruising plans and he called me on my cellphone to let me know......from HIS vacation.

Now THAT is service!!!! :D

If I didn't have complete faith in my TA (who I know personally)... I'd be dealing directly with CCL. We drop a great deal of money on vacations... and I want to know that my money is being spent wisely. Let me tell you, he did wonders for us this past summer.... we had to travel to Novosibirsk, Russia with a weeks notice (adoption)... while it wasn't the cheapest flight, he got us there... and he definately earned his commission doing it.

Lesson here is... don't book with a TA that is "too busy" to get something worked out for their customer.

Archived