Has anyone stayed at Crowne Plaza St. Peters in Rome?

ilovefridays

Tried searching for this hotel in the boards but couldn't find anything. If anyone knows where the thread is located, would appreciate it if you could provide the link.

Heard that there is actually a hotel shuttle bus that drops hotel guests off in the centre of Rome. I'm wondering where exactly is the drop-off point and what's the frequency of the shuttle bus (plus the time of the first and last shuttles).

I've read that it's difficult to get onboard in the morning since it's always packed and people tend to jump queue. :eek: If that's truly the case, I'd rather get a cab. Does anyone have any idea what the cab fare (approx.) is to get to the Vatican City from Crowne Plaza?

Thanks in advance!

I have some friends who ended up here pre-cruise (although I advised that the location was not the best....it was part of their package).

The shuttle runs about once an hour most of the day although apparently there is a period of time mid-day when it isn't available. The last shuttle back to the hotel is around 10:30 pm. I'm not sure what time they start running in the morning. It drops off and picks up at Piazza Venezia, a main transportation hub in the central Rome area.

My friends found the bus (which stops almost in front of the hotel) much more convenient, particularly when headed to the Vatican.

They didn't use taxis, but looking at the location, I'd guess that taxi fare to St. Peters would be in the neighborhood of 6-8 euro, and to the city center (depending where you want to be dropped), from 8-12 euro.

I have some friends who ended up here pre-cruise (although I advised that the location was not the best....it was part of their package).

The shuttle runs about once an hour most of the day although apparently there is a period of time mid-day when it isn't available. The last shuttle back to the hotel is around 10:30 pm. I'm not sure what time they start running in the morning. It drops off and picks up at Piazza Venezia, a main transportation hub in the central Rome area.

My friends found the bus (which stops almost in front of the hotel) much more convenient, particularly when headed to the Vatican.

They didn't use taxis, but looking at the location, I'd guess that taxi fare to St. Peters would be in the neighborhood of 6-8 euro, and to the city center (depending where you want to be dropped), from 8-12 euro.

Thanks so much, Cruisemom! You've been a great help. We'll definitely consider taking the bus instead. Would you happen to know what the bus fare was like so we can have the exact amount prepared before boarding? Plus which bus stop should we stop at for the Vatican? Any info on the public bus system in Rome would be much appreciated. Thanks again! :)

We haven't stayed here, but we have lunched here, and it is VERY much out of the way. After just coming home from Rome, I can say that a lot of the experience of Rome is just wandering around and it was part of the whole experience to be right in the center.

Thanks so much, Cruisemom! You've been a great help. We'll definitely consider taking the bus instead. Would you happen to know what the bus fare was like so we can have the exact amount prepared before boarding? Plus which bus stop should we stop at for the Vatican? Any info on the public bus system in Rome would be much appreciated. Thanks again! :)

Sorry -- I just saw your question.

You don't need exact bus fare; you buy a ticket before boarding the bus and get it validated (via a yellow box on the bus that you stick your ticket into to get it time/date stamped).

I don't know the exact information on bus routes from the Crowne Plaza, but according to my friends the staff at the hotel desk were very helpful with this kind of information and spoke English well enough.

Here is some good "basic" information on using the buses for transportation in Rome:

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/rome_transportation/index.htm

Tried searching for this hotel in the boards but couldn't find anything. If anyone knows where the thread is located, would appreciate it if you could provide the link.

Heard that there is actually a hotel shuttle bus that drops hotel guests off in the centre of Rome. I'm wondering where exactly is the drop-off point and what's the frequency of the shuttle bus (plus the time of the first and last shuttles).

I've read that it's difficult to get onboard in the morning since it's always packed and people tend to jump queue. :eek: If that's truly the case, I'd rather get a cab. Does anyone have any idea what the cab fare (approx.) is to get to the Vatican City from Crowne Plaza?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

We stayed at this hotel Nov 07 for 4 days before a TA on Princess. The hotel was very clean, and while not overly luxurious, it suited our needs. The staff was wonderful, and the room was decent size. King bed, sitting area, and a balcony that over looked the parking lot. Bathroom decent size, not huge. Typical of cookie cutter rooms in the States. It is definitely NOT near anything. We took the shuttle only 1 x. I would not say you are dropped off in the Center of anything, kind of near the tomb of the unknown solder (don't remember what part of the City that is in). We walked to the Trevi Fountain from there but it was a little bit of a hike. Not a bad scenery on the walk though!!

Everywhere we took a taxi to/from the hotel was 15 - 18 euro. It was 15 euro to Spanish Steps. Did see the bus but didn't take it.

I must tell you that we found a WONDERFUL restaurant about a 3 block walk. Birbante Ristorante, on the Via Di Torre Rossa. Very little English spoken but we were able to communicate and order without getting anything "scary". Know this, though...we went for lunch...no pizza at lunch. "House Wine" was incredible. Prices really reasonable and since the hotel is in a suburb of Rome, a lot of locals eat there. By the time we left, it was crowded with families...we were there in a Sunday.

We are headed back to Rome for a TA on Celebrity's Equinox on 11/05, and are not hesitating to stay here again. Also, it is where the ships City Centre transfers depart. Tip, if you are not booking hotel through the hotel, you can still purchase the ship transfer from this hotel.

Hope this helps!

Tracy

We have stayed there. It is out of the way. Although very nice and clean, it's all about location for me so I'll never stay there again. I believe they post their distance to St. Peter's and I don't know how they measure things there (maybe the way the crow fly's) but it was a lot farther then it read. If I remember correctly, the bus ride was about 20 minutes to St. Peter's.

Hi,

It is definitely NOT near anything. We took the shuttle only 1 x. I would not say you are dropped off in the Center of anything, kind of near the tomb of the unknown solder (don't remember what part of the City that is in). We walked to the Trevi Fountain from there but it was a little bit of a hike. Not a bad scenery on the walk though!!

Piazza Venezia = tomb of the unknown soldier = Victor Emmanuel monument. It's pretty near the center of things in Rome, unless you are headed to the Vatican. Should be about 15 minutes to Trevi tops if you take a direct route. About the same to the Pantheon and to the Forum/Colosseum area (maybe even a little less).

Rome isn't small; on the other hand, the central area is not that spread out either.

Piazza Venezia = tomb of the unknown soldier = Victor Emmanuel monument. It's pretty near the center of things in Rome, unless you are headed to the Vatican. Should be about 15 minutes to Trevi tops if you take a direct route. About the same to the Pantheon and to the Forum/Colosseum area (maybe even a little less).

Rome isn't small; on the other hand, the central area is not that spread out either.

You are correct, now that I think about it. It seemed farther as I was intimidated by being in a strange city and not in control. :D

Thanks for correcting me as I would hate to give false info.

Thanks everyone for the great info! It'll definitely come in handy. We got the rooms using our priority club points so I'll have to make do with the location this time.

Tracy (Sadebud): Great tip! Would you happen to remember how much the transfer from the hotel to Civitavecchia offered by Crowne Plaza was?

Cynthia (Cruisemom): Really appreciate the link! Do you know if Hotel Intercontinental is located close to any of the attractions (e.g. Colloseum, Forum, Spanish Steps, or Trevi Fountain)?

Going off topic a bit here but besides the places I mentioned above, does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should bring my parents for some sightseeing? They have slight mobility issues and can't stay on their feet for too long. Moreover, we will only be starting our full day RIL Rome sight seeing tour around noon. Here are the sights included in our itinerary:

Victor Emanuel Monument

Roman Forum

Colosseum

Circus Maximus

Capitol Hill

Palatine Hill

The Baths of Caracalla

Pantheon

Piazza Navona

Spanish Steps

Trevi Fountain

Vatican City

As the Vatican City, the Colloseum and the Forum requires quite a bit of walking, I'll probably head out there on my own for an in depth tour another day and will just make a short photo op for the places mentioned above. Are there other beautiful attractions we should stop by?

Thanks tons in advance!

Cynthia (Cruisemom): Really appreciate the link! Do you know if Hotel Intercontinental is located close to any of the attractions (e.g. Colloseum, Forum, Spanish Steps, or Trevi Fountain)?

I'm confused....you want to know about the Hotel Intercontinental de la Ville?? Are you considering it as an alternative to the Crowne Plaza?

The Intercontinental is located at the top of the Spanish Steps, next to a very famous hotel, the Hassler. I had a lengthy stay there about 7 years ago. It's not a bad hotel, certainly much more convenient and well-placed than the Crowne Plaza.

As I said, you are right on top of the Spanish Steps and the via Condotti shopping area is at the foot. It is also just a short walk to Trevi Fountain and another 5 minutes or so to the Pantheon. The Forum and Colosseum are a bit farther; maybe 25-30 minutes. They have a rooftop bar with great views of all the domes of Rome, including St. Peters.

If your parents have some mobility issues and you end up at the Intercontinental, it may be helpful to know that there is an elevator in the Metro station (at the foot of the Spanish steps) that will take you to the top without having to climb the steps or take the long back way around.

Tracy (Sadebud): Great tip! Would you happen to remember how much the transfer from the hotel to Civitavecchia offered by Crowne Plaza was?

The transer was done through Princess not through the hotel. I believe it was $75 or $85/pp. Celebrity is also offering it on my upcoming trip (even if you don't book through their pre-cruise package) and they are charging $95/pp. Check with your cruiseline.

Archived