balloon ride in luxor, excursion to Petra - any advice?

trinitygirl

how exciting! i have been reading these boards for months now because I am going on a caribbean cruise for the first time in February; I had no idea that there was also stuff here for Egypt!

I am flying in to Cairo in mid February. I have 5 days in Cairo (Meridian Pyramids hotel in Giza) and then join a Trafalgar Tour: the Tour stays at the Meridian so I figured it was a good idea to stay there beforehand.

The tour starts on day 6 (my day 6) with a day touring the pyramids, then the next day we all fly to Luxor for a 7 night nile cruise (I am going to do the optional Abu Simbel tour).

The nile cruise ends up back at Luxor and then the tour flies back to Cairo, but I am going to leave the tour group in Luxor because I REALLY want to do the balloon ride over the Valley of the Kings. The problem (and question) I have is timing: the tour arrives back in Luxor on the Thursday, and I fly to Sharm el Shiek at 7.30 on Saturday morning (it was the only direct flight - the flights leaving later in the day all go via Cairo and take about 10 hours in total).

SO, this means I have ONE shot at the balloon ride - friday morning.

Does anyone out there have any information about how reliable the tours are in early March? For instance, at Disneyland, I never get too excited about the fireworks in January, because they are almost invariably cancelled when I am there - when I do get to see them it feels like a nice bonus. Should I have the same attitude about this?

Also, do you think I need to book ahead online, or can I leave it til I get to Egypt (or even Luxor) to do it?

and on to another wish: I have 6 nights booked in Sharm and I *really* want to do the day trip to Petra. Unfortunately, the ONLY day I don't have there is a friday, and all the trips I have found, fly to Petra on Friday. So it seems I can go by Ferry on Monday or Wednesday - has anyone been by ferry? how was it? I can't change my flights unfortunately - they were locked in before I became aware of this issue.

I think I would also like to go on a day trip to St Catherines - has anyone done this? Do you need to be very fit?

any tips? what's the weather like in early March?

: )

and on to another wish: I have 6 nights booked in Sharm and I *really* want to do the day trip to Petra. Unfortunately, the ONLY day I don't have there is a friday, and all the trips I have found, fly to Petra on Friday. So it seems I can go by Ferry on Monday or Wednesday - has anyone been by ferry? how was it? I can't change my flights unfortunately - they were locked in before I became aware of this issue.

I think I would also like to go on a day trip to St Catherines - has anyone done this? Do you need to be very fit?

any tips? what's the weather like in early March?

The trip to Petra. We were in Taba in April 08, and took the ferry route to Petra - 6:30 pick up to the ferry, 2 hours to Aqaba, 2 hours by coach to Petra. Quick lunch, then walked to the Siq entrance and down into Petra itself - a total of almost two miles. After looking round, it is the same 2 miles back, but UPHILL. Then similar 4ish hours back - given that you'll be that much further south at Sharm will add some time on. Is it worth it - a resounding YES if such ancient civilisation is your interest, but it is hot and tiring.

The following day we went to St Catherine's and lunch at a very pleasant seaside resort called Dahab. Another long day, but nothing like as hard work as Petra.

We were there mid-April, and it varied from scorching to pleasantly hot - I can't imagine it's too much colder in March.

Hope this helps.

The trip to Petra. Is it worth it - a resounding YES if such ancient civilisation is your interest, but it is hot and tiring.

thank you! that helps a lot - prepare for a long, hot, tiring day [check].

i hope you don't mind if i ask some follow ups: how long did you have at Petra itself? did you book it before you went, or once you got to Taba? did the tour company organise the visa for Jordan or do you just do it when you get to the border?

many thanks!

We had most of the day in Petra. We stayed two night at a Marriott nearby. Yes, there is a good deal of walking. I guess it was 5 to 7 miles from where we got off the bus to the far end and back.

I don't recall getting a visa for Jordan. We flew to Amman from Cairo.

Hi Paul... was just cruising thru the Egypt posts and saw your post about having been there in 2006. We're doing a Viking River tour starting October 20th. Were you in Egypt on your own, or with a tour group? Do you have a recommendation for the ballooning in Luxor? Did you go to any of the "light shows", and if so, do you think it was worthwhile?

thank you! that helps a lot - prepare for a long, hot, tiring day [check].

i hope you don't mind if i ask some follow ups: how long did you have at Petra itself? did you book it before you went, or once you got to Taba? did the tour company organise the visa for Jordan or do you just do it when you get to the border?

many thanks!

We booked this via our hotel once we were in Taba, as an organised trip, and didn't need to do anything special about the border crossings - although they were a bit slow.

We had about 4 hours at Petra all together, which is enough to see the highlights, but we have a plan to revisit Jordan for a longer time, and be able to spend a more leisurely day or two in Petra.

I probably ought to have mentioned earlier that it is possible to hire horses or horse and carriages to be ferried down into Petra and back; I wouldn't recommend the downhill journey as the drivers try and go at about 200mph, and you can't see anything! Walk down and enjoy the experience, and maybe try and get a ride back up.

Hope this helps, ask again if you have anything more.

SO, this means I have ONE shot at the balloon ride - friday morning.

Does anyone out there have any information about how reliable the tours are in early March? For instance, at Disneyland, I never get too excited about the fireworks in January, because they are almost invariably cancelled when I am there - when I do get to see them it feels like a nice bonus. Should I have the same attitude about this?

Also, do you think I need to book ahead online, or can I leave it til I get to Egypt (or even Luxor) to do it?

The weather is fairly predictable in Egypt. I was there in late February and there is little chance of rain or poor visibility. The only issue is if the wind kicks up.

You can book once you get there, but it might be wise to do a little research before you get there. The balloons are safe, but accidents do occur rarely. (There was one earlier this year in April where several people were injured.)

Hi Paul... was just cruising thru the Egypt posts and saw your post about having been there in 2006. We're doing a Viking River tour starting October 20th. Were you in Egypt on your own, or with a tour group? Do you have a recommendation for the ballooning in Luxor? Did you go to any of the "light shows", and if so, do you think it was worthwhile?

My friends and I were in Egypt in Feb 2009 on a GCT trip. We did go to the "light show at the pyramids". As far as it being worthwhile? When do you get to sit and see the pyramids all lit up? They were beautiful! It was a bit hokey but I loved every minute of it! We brought some wine, sat back and enjoyed the view!

I probably ought to have mentioned earlier that it is possible to hire horses or horse and carriages to be ferried down into Petra and back; I wouldn't recommend the downhill journey as the drivers try and go at about 200mph, and you can't see anything! Walk down and enjoy the experience, and maybe try and get a ride back up.

We did Petra in Jan, 2009. I would strongly recommend that you do the camel ride from the restaurant BACK to the treasury building. You're going to be exhausted (unless of course your in your 20's and in great shape) Unfortunately, the horse and carriage, they call it a chariot and basically that's what it is, only went round trip when we were there. It's true, he goes very fast, it's very bumpy, you can't take any pictures, BUT you get to the treasury building in far less time and time is an issue with you. You can always walk into the Siq for pictures.

As to the balloon ride in Luxor I only have two words of advice: take it!!!

You should have no trouble booking it in Luxor, although make sure you book it through either your tour guide or someone who knows who is reputable and who is not. We were with Hod-Hod Solimon and it was wonderful. I think anyone who has an actual office in Luxor is ok. Beware of the guy that approaches you on the street and offers a balloon ride!

it was one of the most exciting and beautiful experiences I have ever had.

It's not cheap! I believe we paid about $150 per person, but I don't know what the "walk in off the street" price is since we booked it with our tour group. We were on the Nile cruise and docked in Luxor. they took us from the ship (at 5 a.m.) on a bus to a boat which crossed the Nile. On the boat they gave us coffee and the safety talk, then we got on another bus which took us to the field where it looked like hundreds of balloons were being inflated in the dark! What a sight that was....I'm a little funny with heights, but the lift off was so smooth and gentle we didn't even feel it. Do try to get the sunrise ride, it's truly spectacular. Everything was included, even a free t-shirt. Well worth the money.

It's not cheap! I believe we paid about $150 per person, but I don't know what the "walk in off the street" price is since we booked it with our tour group. We were on the Nile cruise and docked in Luxor. they took us from the ship (at 5 a.m.) on a bus to a boat which crossed the Nile. On the boat they gave us coffee and the safety talk, then we got on another bus which took us to the field where it looked like hundreds of balloons were being inflated in the dark! What a sight that was....I'm a little funny with heights, but the lift off was so smooth and gentle we didn't even feel it. Do try to get the sunrise ride, it's truly spectacular. Everything was included, even a free t-shirt. Well worth the money.

Wow, I booked this on my own through the same operator (with a couple other people from our tour) in 2008 and it was $100 per person. So either prices have gone up or there was some markup involved.

Reading on TripAdvisor on Hod Hod Suliman, and it seems that you can negotiate it down to about $75 per person, if you do it in person.

I would have loved to have been able to do it through Trafalgar (just to have it all sorted beforehand) but on our 7 night nile cruise, we only have one sleep-over in Luxor. My TA did some inquiring for me and reported back that this is the night before a really busy morning when we leave to visit the sites at 7am - if the balloon excursion got me back late I would miss visiting a couple of temples I don't want to miss. Hence my leaving the tour when they head back to Cairo, so I can organise it on my own time.

Wow, I booked this on my own through the same operator (with a couple other people from our tour) in 2008 and it was $100 per person. So either prices have gone up or there was some markup involved.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that there was a "group" mark-up! Although we were there in January, which is considered high season. Bottom line, it was worth every dime. And of course, you are absolutely right, you can bargain anything down in Egypt!

As to getting back in time. We did the sunrise balloon trip and they did not return us to the ship, but took us to the Colossi, near Valley of the Kings to meet the rest of our group. We didn't miss a thing! :):)

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to add a thanks for this info. We're looking into a trip next summer (yes, I know, summer is horrible, but this is the only time husband can spare me and oldest daughter to go away), and the tour company we're considering offers the balloon trip in Luxor as an option. I'll definitely set aside the money for this if we go.

The description of the pre-dawn filling of balloons reminds me of the Albuquerque, NM Balloon Fiesta, which was one of my first dates with my husband! Someday he and I will go to Egypt and this will be a must do.

Just want to add a thanks for this info. We're looking into a trip next summer (yes, I know, summer is horrible, but this is the only time husband can spare me and oldest daughter to go away), and the tour company we're considering offers the balloon trip in Luxor as an option. I'll definitely set aside the money for this if we go.

Keep in mind that many tour companies do not operate in Egypt during the summer months because of the extreme heat. those who do will have you doing your site seeing VERY early in the morning so you can be back on board your ship or in your hotel by late morning. then you may go out again in late afternoon. also make sure when researching your trip and looking at weather conditions, that you include sand storms. they can shut down the entire country!!!

Thanks for the warning, Hydrokitty. I've been researching for some time, as the original plan was for me to attend school in Cairo to improve my Arabic for part of the summer, then have my daughter join me before Ramadan. That's out for now, but the trip to Egypt is still on, though for after Ramadan. Not terribly cooler in September, but a bit better.

• 4 months later...

Did you end up going to Eygpt with Viking? We are thinking about their 12 day trip next year and would love to hear details.

Nancy

Archived