ATM's in Italy are modified to steal....

Iggy_az

I just read about this and at least thought others should be aware.

Here is a link to a page that shows how ATM's are being modified in Italy to get your debit/credit card number and pin number.

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/atmcamera.asp

It show how they modify the ATM with wireless camera and card reader.

Best way to stop this is to use an ATM inside the bank

I just read about this and at least thought others should be aware.

Here is a link to a page that shows how ATM's are being modified in Italy to get your debit/credit card number and pin number.

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/atmcamera.asp

It show how they modify the ATM with wireless camera and card reader.

Best way to stop this is to use an ATM inside the bank

This can happen anywhere in the world, and not just in Italy. Also, I always "mask" the PIN entry by placing your free hand over the typing hand. Same goes for anytime you are entering any security code or password, e.g. home security system, garage code, computer password, etc. IOW, always assume that someone is watching you enter your security codes or passwords so be diligent about masking it.

This can happen anywhere in the world, and not just in Italy. Also, I always "mask" the PIN entry by placing your free hand over the typing hand. Same goes for anytime you are entering any security code or password, e.g. home security system, garage code, computer password, etc. IOW, always assume that someone is watching you enter your security codes or passwords so be diligent about masking it.

Yes... good idea everywhere.

There was a spate on this type of crime years ago all over the place. I'm a banker and was based in a branch at the time and we had to go and check the machines several times each day for something having been fitted over the card reader. the crime has mostly died out since the advent of chip and PIN as it is not enough to clone your card now - they also need the CHIP

As a general rule, both at home and when travelling, we always try to access an atm that is in a bank or in a retail establishment. We avoid the ones on the street...especially at night. It is just too easy for someone to come along, grab the money, and run.

Archived