When do you weigh yourself?

bikinibottom

You'll typically weigh the least first thing in the morning right after getting out of bed. (And usually the heaviest right before going to bed) The important thing is to weigh yourself at the same time each day, and not so often that no results can be seen.

Many times a day :) A lot of people say only to weigh yourself once a week ~ actually I find that if you weigh yourself daily it is much easier to lose weight because if there is even a small increase on the scale you will notice it and know that you need to eat better and exercise more. And, if there is a small decrease it helps with motivation.

Each to his own, but I have much better luck weighing weekly. The reason is with daily weighing, natural fluctuations in weight can be very frustrating to me. If I weigh once a week, it seems to show more progress. The progress with daily weighing is just too slow.

I'm hoping to eventually get to the point I only have to weigh every two weeks.

By the way, I weigh first thing in the AM before breakfast. I NEVER weigh at night---too scarey for me.

dh and i weigh every 2 weeks when we first wake up. this is the number we write down and track. every now and then we get curious and weigh but we only track the 2 week number.:D

I have been doing the same thing (journal) for the past two weeks and have lost 7 lbs! I found a lot of extra calories that were hiding in my diet. How long have you been doing this and how much have you lost?

I ALWAYS get weighed as soon as I get up in the morning! Until last Christmas we did not have a scale in our house but when I made Lifetime

at Weight Watchers I wanted to be sure that I could track my weight closely. I use to get weighed at WW once a week so it was always a surprise what I had lost (or gained!!). Getting weighed each day definately helps me keep on track and keep the weight off. Now since I am Lifetime at WW I only get weighed in there once a month (which will be tomorrow morning!)

I feel how often you weigh yourself depends on the person. If you can deal with the fluctuations and take it in stride then go for it. But a lot of people can't deal with the pressure that puts on them.

I weigh myself twice a week at the gym, one is just a check to see how I'm doing, the other gets logged in my journal. Waiting 2 weeks is too long for me. I'd start to get scared and paranoid about what I'm going to see or I'd forget to weigh myself. On the other hand I won't weigh myself every day because the last time I tried that I started getting super obsessive-compulsive about it and would sometimes weigh myself several times a day, would starve myself if I didn't lose weight then 'celebrate' with something fattening if I did, then I'd get seriously depressed. In short I turned into a lunatic who was bordering on an eating disorder. This time when I announced I was going to lose weight and change my lifestyle my sister came over and took away my scale. I was only allowed to weigh myself at the gym and then only if someone, a friend or family member, was with me. It's working so far. I'm down 10 lbs in 3 weeks from 221 lbs to 211 lbs and no major freak outs because I wasn't losing weight fast enough or at all.

I agree with the once a week posters. Once a week, same bat time, same bat condition, same bat scale. Otherwise it's not going to register consistent weight loss.

However, if you are planning a workout longer than an hour to hour 1/2, or if you sweat profusely-30 minutes, you should weigh yourself right before and right after the workout. The weight you lose during that time is water weight If you're more than 1 pound less in weight, you need to rehydrate. (It would take 4 hours of over 900 calories an hour expenditure to lose 1 pound of body weight; like running 36 miles at a sub-6:40 pace). Don't focus on this weigh-in for recording purposes, just use it as a hydration check.

I just started trying to loose weight this week. (I am sailing in 6 months)

I have weighed myself every morning and watched the numbers go down a few ounces each day. For me that is good motivation to keep at it.

Last night I was very tempted to eat some chocolate and chips but I opted to have a bottle of water.

Yeah for me, I didnt cave to the false hunger.

good luck to everyone. Keep at it.

Archived