Take a Powder (Carefully if you fly to your cruise.)

jhannah

During a short flight from Portland to Los Angeles, my Mom decided to take her leftover omlette home with her. That made it past security but the 3 jars of sealed, homemade jam from a local farm had to be tossed. . . crazy?! Are bombs disguised as bell pepper and sausage omlettes in our future?

The homemade jam is a gel. Liquids and gels have been banned for years now. So while I'm sure your mother isn't a terrorist, you can thank the terrorists who just recently were tried, convicted, and put in jail for 30 years for creating an explosive that looked like liquid -- soda - and nearly got through carrying it on a plane. And many explosives are gels.

Yes, it's a pain in the butt, a huge inconvenience. But not particularly a new regulation. It could have gotten through if wrapped well and packed in her checked luggage.

Try corn starch for body powder - nothing in it to set off the alarms - well, who knows what sets off the alarms these days.

Thanks for the info though - fortunately we are sailing out of our home port so will be sure to ditch the powder before flying home.

What about powder meds in capsules - will they be suspect too?

or vitamin pills?

where will it all end......

From my own experience with medications; As long as the medications are in prescription bottles with your name, Doctors name, pharmacy issued from with their phone number, a prescription number and up to date on the bottle, those are ok.

I also take my denture adhesive and denture cup with brush in my carry on. I have never had a problem with these and yes, many times the denture adhesive tube is more than the TSA allowable 3 ounces.

From the TSA themselves:

You may bring all prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including petroleum jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes.

Additional items you may bring include:

• Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;
  • Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;
  • Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
  • Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.

You are not limited in the amount or volume of these items you may bring in your carry-on baggage. BUT if the medically necessary items exceed 3 ounces or are not contained in a one-quart, zip-top plastic bag, you MUST declare to one of our Security Officers at the checkpoint for further inspection.

For more information on these measures, please read our memo outlining our policy. Changes in Allowances for Persons with Disabilities at Airport Security Checkpoints (PDF, 101 KB)

Non-liquid or gel medications of all kinds such as solid pills, or inhalers are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. We recommend, but do not require, that your medications be labeled to assist with the screening process.

We normally X-ray medication and related supplies. However, as a customer service, you may ask that Security Officers visually inspect your medication and associated supplies.

• You must ask for visual inspection before the screening process begins; otherwise your medications and supplies will be X-rayed.
  • If you would like to take advantage of this option, please have your medication and associated supplies separated from your other property in a separate pouch/bag when you approach the Security Officer at the walk-through metal detector.
  • Ask the Security Officer to visually inspect your medication and hand your medication pouch/bag to him or her.
  • To prevent your medication, associated supplies or fragile medical materials for contamination or damage, we will ask you to display, handle, and repack your own medication and associated supplies during visual inspection. Any medication and/or associated supplies that we can't clear visually will be X-rayed. If you refuse, you will not be permitted to carry your medications and related supplies into the sterile area.

While we can not provide an exhaustive list of items, below are some of the most common. Please note, if you have questions or doubts on certain items, place those in your checked baggage. We strongly encourage travelers to read our full list of prohibited items to avoid hassle. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

There is more which you can read at the TSA site: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1059.shtm

Joanie

Why wouldn't you be able to bring liquid makeup? I do it all the time in the ziplock bag with all the other small bottles of liquids. Three ounces per bottle is pretty good sized.

Before the ziplock bags, you couldn't... I think it was summer 2006, my sister threw away $500 in cleansers, moisturizers and make-up at Atlanta International, they would not allow it in the carry-on.

FYI - Going to Cancun two weeks ago, TSA pulled DH aside and tested his shirt for any residue - when I asked what was up with it he said all they told him was they were checking for powders... almost every male going through during that time frame was also being given some sort of powder testing on their clothing.

It only took a few seconds and we never even questioned it - thinking back; it was only done on male pax though. Weird.

DIA gets weirder & weirder. Last spring they confiscated my 4 ounce Colgate green toothpast in a see-thru type container I had specifically thought made MORE sense than a tube. This was on a 6:30AM flight AND 2 OTHER ladies lost THEIR toothpast too [ for "being too large"] I mean- LOOK at it [ Green with sparkles] or SMELL it -Or TASTE it.......Its TOOTHPASTE, folks; I'm 69 years old and as American as Apple-pie- NOT a 23 year old middle-east terrorist.......And they wonder why airlines are going out of business/bankrupt!

BTW, EKERR -my daughter had a brand new suitcase stolen from DIA several years ago; They TELL you"Your bag WILL be on YOUR flight" but we were on two different flights out of LA FROM Maui..when we got to DIA I THINK I saw her bag because it was a different shape [sort of pouchy & bright red] at the BACK of the carousel [not ON it] meaning it had come in on an even earlier flight! Suz was really upset; it had 6 brand new golf shirts from Maui courses they had played! Never worn!........I WISH I had checked it, but I didn't and when THEY landed an hour later -GONE!

Our cruises are longer trips so I really hate SENDING liquids or gels -that could be broken or leak, in luggage -You CAN'T hand-carry it -So we make a list and will do some quick shopping in Seattle next week. I make the list here because I may forget when we are in a strange drug-store or supermarket.

Anne

I would have checked the bag, but then I would never spend that much on makeup and moisturizers, wow! I've always flown with small sizes, either by buying the travel sizes or repackaging. Been doing that for more than 30 years. So, the new requirements aren't a bother for me. But, they'll have to pry my talcum powder from my hands. :)

DIA gets weirder & weirder. Last spring they confiscated my 4 ounce Colgate green toothpast in a see-thru type container I had specifically thought made MORE sense than a tube. This was on a 6:30AM flight AND 2 OTHER ladies lost THEIR toothpast too [ for "being too large"] I mean- LOOK at it [ Green with sparkles] or SMELL it -Or TASTE it.......Its TOOTHPASTE, folks; I'm 69 years old and as American as Apple-pie- NOT a 23 year old middle-east terrorist.......And they wonder why airlines are going out of business/bankrupt!

Our cruises are longer trips so I really hate SENDING liquids or gels -that could be broken or leak, in luggage -You CAN'T hand-carry it -So we make a list and will do some quick shopping in Seattle next week. I make the list here because I may forget when we are in a strange drug-store or supermarket.

Anne

The rules are 3 oz. containers of liquid or gels. Not 4, not 4 with a 3rd missing, not 8 with 2/3 missing, but 3 oz. And only as much as can be packed in 1 quart-sized zip bag.

That really isn't complicated. There are all kinds of 3 oz containers of commonly used liquids and gels that folks might need for the 1 or maybe 2 days that they're going to have to live out of their carry-ons, and all the big containers you want can be packed in your checked luggage.

Pack them in zip bags, double-bag them if you're concerned. Pack NEW containers that aren't opened yet, and they'll not likely leak. If you don't think you'll need it for the day of your flight, or maybe overnight, then pack it in your checked luggage.

They are not going to taste, smell, everything that is not properly packed. What if it is something illegal? And think about how long the lines are now; they'd be infinitely longer if they had to examine each item separately, which is precisely why they've carefully described how to pack -- 3 oz bottles or containers, however many you can fit into one zip bag, that you can show to the security people, and be on your way.

Luggage does occasionally get lost. Did she file a claim for her bag? Did she have her name/address, itinerary, flight numbers, somewhere on and IN it, so that it could be traced? I'm sorry that happened. Nothing is more frustrating than looking out of a plane window and seeing your luggage heading off somewhere else! :o

I still can't get over the knife.

Well, if it makes you feel better, normally he carries a glock but that's frowned upon on airlines... It's actually better that he is armed as he is one of the good guys and could actually do something to protect other passengers. I don't think it makes much sense for law enforcement to be forbidden to carry on a plane. Seems to me it would be wiser (and cheaper) to offer training to officers with a certain amount of time on and a clean background check.

If what you can't over is the lax security, well, yeah. It's a joke. I don't begrudge the TSA agents who work hard but really, what are they looking for? Honestly, tweezers were banned for a few years. What were people going to do with them? Tweeze the pilot's eyebrows into submission?!? Even the liquid issue was overstated and over-dramatized. Given our geographical location and my husband's job, he's been through a lot of training and general prep work with ordinance experts. Those who deal with explosives on a daily basis (high level people) thought the ban and the entire thing was ridiculous. The amount of liquid explosives needed to fell a plane as well as the time needed to prepare it made it next to impossible (in spite of what the talking heads on the news said.) Still, no baby tylenol brought on board and my lip gloss gets pulled out of my purse before every flight. Oh well....

I beg to differ on the "Luggage does occasionally get lost" statement. We checked 3 bags for a 45 minute flight from El Paso to Phoenix. Luggage never came off the plane. SW checked the plane, checked all SW planes, checked thoroughly both airports, and ultimately paid us over $2500.00. Luggage has never been seen, and even with what the airline paid, we still lost money!!!! Luggage will NEVER be seen--it was almost 2 years ago. All associated with this claim agree it was stolen and went across the border!

I beg to differ on the "Luggage does occasionally get lost" statement. We checked 3 bags for a 45 minute flight from El Paso to Phoenix. Luggage never came off the plane. SW checked the plane' date=' checked all SW planes, checked thoroughly both airports, and ultimately paid us over $2500.00. Luggage has never been seen, and even with what the airline paid, we still lost money!!!! Luggage will NEVER be seen--it was almost 2 years ago. All associated with this claim agree it was stolen and went across the border![/quote']

I didn't SAY it could not have been stolen. Perhaps it was. I used "lost" generically -- it was lost to the passenger, never to be seen again.

Archived