cabin selection on royal clipper

thatbloominplace

after 23 cruise on major cruise lines (including 2 on windstar), we are taking the plunge on star clipper with a feb. 13 cruise from barbados. i cannot figure out the difference between the room categories, especially 3,4,5 aside for a slight difference in location. i e-mailed star clipper and was told there was none except location. that being said, does anyone have a favorite room or category we should try as first timers.

thanks for all the input i've already read from previous posts.

steve

Hi Steve, I am partial on Star Flyer and Star Clippers to cat 4, center of ship,, (121, 123, 125, that side of the ship has less generator vibration from my experience) if you can get those cat 4s down in the center, less rocking, nice and stable, and the one right next to cat 3 is same size as cat 3 but priced as cat 4,,,, Now cat 4 (and cat 3s on same deck) gives you portholes that are somewhat like Maytag washers sometimes,, you have a view almost at sea level, then if sailing rough you get some maytag type scenery as the water washes over the porthole. I travel solo mostly and cat 4 is fine by me,, 1 deck below dining room, 2 below the upper deck, but stairs are fine. There are some interior cat 5 or 6s that are on same deck as dining room,, one has a mast through the middle(they had cruise director in that one on Star Clipper at one point I know) but there is one with fixed double that I would consider,, you can find it on deck plan, if you want to go cheaper and do not care for a porthole..

The only time I sailed on the Royal (transatlantic) I took a cat 6 interior, fixed double bed (220?) and liked it just fine (no early morning sun to wake me up,,, not a problem). I would NOT book a Cat 6 on Star Clipper or Flyer as they are interior BUNKS and not very comfortable I have heard... Have seen the cat 5s and they are at far ends of the ship,, would think heavy noise (anchor, engine)and rockin,, and you have to climb a bit to get into the bed, there is a ladder.

Also, would not book the cabins right next to dining room,, there are some on Star Clipper/Flyer that literally open into the dining room and I would think that would be very noisy and just not a good location.

The larger cabins out by the pool on back deck of Star Flyer/Clipper open right by the back pool, and when sailing rough, that water really sloshes, you have to time your opening of the cabin door to the pool slosh) and I would THINK you would get noise in there, from the folks by the pool, but I have not stayed in them, (maybe cat 2, not sure)

Have fun! I am sure you will have a blast!! Gail

• 1 month later...

On the Royal, anything with outside view is fine. We had room with large windows which were like porch doors - no balcony but it was terrific anyhow. This ship is low to the water compared to the hogs (Carnival, etc) so balcony isn't such a big deal to me - just a good view. The deck is the place to be for views.

We will be sailing on the Royal Clipper in Dec. We have a center Cat. 4. cabin. My husband was concerned about the motion, so we decided that would be the safest. My other experience is with the Star Clipper and we had a cabin off the dining room. This was quite interesting to see people literally out side you door eating breakfast or lunch. This cabin is definatley not a Cat 3. Bathroom is tiny compared to other rooms.

• 1 month later...
We will be sailing on the Royal Clipper in Dec. We have a center Cat. 4. cabin. My husband was concerned about the motion, so we.....

How many are like us and found out about the bed boards the day AFTER we needed them :-). First night out of Barbados - wow - that was some ride.

I loved our week - have it to do again. The waves crashing into one side of the dining room pothole and seconds latter exiting the other side - got so distracted once almost lost balance on chair ( and that was latter in the week ).

Greg

How many are like us and found out about the bed boards the day AFTER we needed them :-). First night out of Barbados - wow - that was some ride.

I loved our week - have it to do again. The waves crashing into one side of the dining room pothole and seconds latter exiting the other side - got so distracted once almost lost balance on chair ( and that was latter in the week ).

Greg

I wish I had known about the bed boards our first night out of Lisbon, sailing transatlantic last fall. But after that first night, when I knew we could rock and roll and I could stay in the bed, I never used them. I loved that rolling motion - missed it so much when we first were ashore afterwards!

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I were on the Royal Clipper in Dec 2005 out of Barbados. It was amazing and I still miss it. We were in Cabin 250 which is center of the ship near the atrium. The way the halway is set up this was a great room as there was no trafic past the door and it was easy to access everything. Cabin 250 is listed as a CAT 3 and all that was different from a 2 was a couple square feet. Didn't spend much time in the room though.

Greg

We were in 234, a cat 2 cabin. That first night out of Barbados was a hell of a ride. Thankfully, our steward had the bed board deployed when we returned to the cabin and turned in.

Archived