Passport-married/maiden name S&S Card on CCL?

sylvasta

For women who have gotten married and changed their name-how did you handle the passport situation? I was married two years ago, but my passport doesn't expire until 2011, and I heard somewhere that I would just need to carry a (certified) copy of my marriage certificate with my passport to show my new married name (since passport is still in my maiden name). However, the last time I tried to give Carnival my passport and marriage certificate upon checkin, they still printed my Sail and Sign card in my maiden name.

What has been some of your experiences with this? It also looks like to get a passport issued in my new married name, it will cost me the same amount of $$ as if I'm renewing my passport. This is why I've decided to wait until 2011 to get a new one, but it can get confusing. Especially when my airline ticket is in my married name and I have to use my license there, but my ship 'ticket' is in my maiden name.

I also really am in no hurry to get a whole new passport because I am not ready to give up the passport stamps I have in my current one (like my trip to Africa!)

My wife had a the same issue so I just asked her about it from what she remembers (7yrs ago) she went to the Post office and they had her new name put on the back page and mailed it back to her. She does not remember having to pay for it. She got the orginal in 2001 and it expires in 2011. So when this ones expires she will get a new one then in 2011 with the name change on the front.

I also really am in no hurry to get a whole new passport because I am not ready to give up the passport stamps I have in my current one (like my trip to Africa!)
I am pretty sure they send the old one (invalidated with a hole punch or something) back to you with your new one.

I am pretty sure they send the old one (invalidated with a hole punch or something) back to you with your new one.

This is correct. I've been married for 3 years, but didn't need my passport again until my first cruise in March. I went ahead and sent my passport in for the name change b/c I didn't want to deal with the headaches. It was the $75 fee and they sent back the old passport with holes punches through the barcode.

For women who have gotten married and changed their name-how did you handle the passport situation? I was married two years ago, but my passport doesn't expire until 2011, and I heard somewhere that I would just need to carry a (certified) copy of my marriage certificate with my passport to show my new married name (since passport is still in my maiden name). However, the last time I tried to give Carnival my passport and marriage certificate upon checkin, they still printed my Sail and Sign card in my maiden name.

What has been some of your experiences with this? It also looks like to get a passport issued in my new married name, it will cost me the same amount of $$ as if I'm renewing my passport. This is why I've decided to wait until 2011 to get a new one, but it can get confusing. Especially when my airline ticket is in my married name and I have to use my license there, but my ship 'ticket' is in my maiden name.

Just travel under your maiden name. Nothing wrong with that unless you are trying to commit some fraud.

My wife had a the same issue so I just asked her about it from what she remembers (7yrs ago) she went to the Post office and they had her new name put on the back page and mailed it back to her. She does not remember having to pay for it. She got the orginal in 2001 and it expires in 2011. So when this ones expires she will get a new one then in 2011 with the name change on the front.

They don't do this anymore. You just get a whole new one. The good news is that it resets the expiration.

I just went through this. My passport didn't expire until 2014.

I got it while still married to my XH, and then had a change added to the back to my maiden name for a trip that was only a few months prior to getting married to my current husband.

I had to pay for a renewal - the same amount as if it was expiring this year. So basically, I lost 5 years worth of what I paid for.

Exactly! They do send back your old one, so you will always have the stamps you earned!

Archived