Brazil Visa Application process

beege1936

I had a call from ZVS two days ago (after they had my application documents for two weeks) that they couldn't guarantee they would be able to secure my Visa for my January 10th cruise.

Apparently the Brazilian Consulate in Los Angeles is having some sort of problem (ZVS wasn't specific) and the Consulate has limited the number of Visas being issued through services and ZVS also indicated that once the application is finally accepted by the Consulate, it could take a month or more to get it back. I was amazed! I thought 2-1/2 months was adequate time to get a Visa -- especially since it can't be issued more than 90 days prior to departure.

Question: Has anyone else had a problem like this? Does anyone know what the problem is?

Nevadagal

I had a call from ZVS two days ago (after they had my application documents for two weeks) that they couldn't guarantee they would be able to secure my Visa for my January 10th cruise.

Apparently the Brazilian Consulate in Los Angeles is having some sort of problem (ZVS wasn't specific) and the Consulate has limited the number of Visas being issued through services and ZVS also indicated that once the application is finally accepted by the Consulate, it could take a month or more to get it back. I was amazed! I thought 2-1/2 months was adequate time to get a Visa -- especially since it can't be issued more than 90 days prior to departure.

Question: Has anyone else had a problem like this? Does anyone know what the problem is?

Nevadagal

Yes our cruise 30 days from L.A. on Star Princess to Rio...(11/22/09)(its also 2b2 cruises. L.A. to Santiago.12/08/09 Santiago to Rio) People who live in L.A. jurisdiction are having ( or should I say where having) problems big time... One of the Large newspapers in the L.A. reported about the problem several weeks ago & Princess got involved after more complaints than they care to hear about. The L.A. consulate began to expedite the visa's for people on our cruise... ... Look at the thread for our Star Princess cruise and you may come up with some ideas. I used a company called TraVisa they have office in every Jurisdiction. Ours is in N.Y. and we had our visa back within 4 working days. TraVisa did a wonderful job. Hope this help good luck... judy

Thanks, Judy. I'll check out the Princess board as you suggest. By the way, my name is Judy also.

You may have to make your own appointment and FLY/drive to Los Angeles to apply. Or find another visa service (Zierer is the worst of the worst, IMHO. They bilked me out of a paid for Asian cruise due to their incompetence-lost well over $6000).

Once you take all the paperwork to Los Angeles with pictures, postal money orders, etc (follow the directions to a T), they will send your passports and visas back to you PROVIDED you leave a self addressed, prepaid EXPRESS MAIL envelope. Good luck!!!

You may have to make your own appointment and FLY/drive to Los Angeles to apply. Or find another visa service (Zierer is the worst of the worst, IMHO. They bilked me out of a paid for Asian cruise due to their incompetence-lost well over $6000).

Once you take all the paperwork to Los Angeles with pictures, postal money orders, etc (follow the directions to a T), they will send your passports and visas back to you PROVIDED you leave a self addressed, prepaid EXPRESS MAIL envelope. Good luck!!!

For our cruise,(nov 22,2009 30 day south amercia) the problem was that L.A. embassy wasn't excepting appointments for walk in's, by U.S. Post Office express mail, nor from travel services companies. People on our cruise we're calling Princess to be able to disembark in BuenosAires(last port of call before Rio) since they couldn't get their Visa's in time for our cruise( they we're giving people appointment dates for something like 12/15/09, now this was beginning of Sept ) The Princess passengers where calling & asking for Princess to change their air flights without penalty ( there we're lots & lots& lots of people that called princess.) Princess put some pressure on Brazil (L.A) to speed things up. Brazil better get their act together with the Olympic's or there will be some very unhappy people I'm glad I didn't have to deal with L.A.

Don't know how helpful this will be but--. We leave on cruise from rio on 12/5 and live in LA consulate area. Problem getting visa but then they started an expeditated process for cruise passengers only. Different application form and as I understand a separate desk at consulate. We used at recommendstion of TA jerrychang168@yahoo.com. He was reasonable in price and got us the visas in abpoit 2-3 weeks. I understasnd that LA will not return visa/passport via mail. Maybe this has changed?? I also understand that Brazil will allow you to use another consulate as the problem is in LA- never learned nature of problem

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. I really did not expect to have so much difficulty with the visa process. We traveled to Brazil several years ago and were able to obtain visas without a glitch.

Because Princess seemed to respond to its passengers, I wrote an e-mail to HAL asking for their assistance. The gist of their response was that there was nothing they could do and that it was the responsibility of the passenger to secure all necessary documentation. This was a very disappointing response.

At this point I don't feel like I can trust another visa service and I don't have much faith in the Los Angeles Consulate, so I've applied on line and have an appointment at the San Francisco Brazilian Consulate. Their website says you can cross jurisdictions if you apply in person. It's a four hour drive to San Francisco instead of a 10 hour drive to Los Angeles. We'll see what happens, but I'm pretty confident it will work out. :rolleyes:

Nevadagal

And some (i.e, the Consulate in Washington, DC) say it takes 15 work days to process regardless of how it is submitted (in person, by mail, or by visa service). We submitted our passports 2 weeks ago today in person and they are still listed as 'received', not even in process! Consulate staff did assure me they would be ready on the 15th work day (3 weeks plus 1 day from the day of submission). I hope so -- my DH travels internationally almost all the time and this was the only 4 week period he didn't need his passport in the 90 day period leading up to our arrival in Brazil.

Just an update -- I picked up our passports with visas this morning 3 weeks plus one day after submission as promised! Less than 2 months to go until our cruise -- and we'll definitely go back to Brazil sometime in the 5 year period to get our money's worth out of the visa:).

Every consulate has its own set of rules. I would recommend everyone to read the instructions carefully. Most of the consulates require the application forms to be completed on line. You simply have to bring the top page of your online application with your recent passport photo glued to it, together with your passport with expiry no less than 6 months, and your travel itinerary (for us the officer accepted a copy of the final invoice from Oceania and the itinerary printed off the website). It is very straight forward. The only twist for us is that we had to apply a visa for our son, who is 17. Both my wife and I have to be present in front of the consulate officer to sign his application form. I forgot to mention that please remember to bring a bank draft or money order (in our case), they do not accept credit card payment or cash (go figure!). They just want to make things as complicated as possible.

You do not need to incur extra expense using an agent, if you follow the rules properly. We are lucky enough to live a metro area where the consulate is within a 10 minutes bus ride from work. The issuance of the visa took three weeks, we were able to check the progress online. My guess is the visa issuance is pretty straight forward, the Brazilian government just wanted us to wait for it. The Visa was only processed the last day before the day they originally asked us to pick up our passports. Anyway even though the process was long but it was relatively painless. If you live in an area where it would be too far for you to travel personally to your regional Brazilian consulate, I would still recommend that you mail in your application and passports and travel itinerary, with a self addressed postage paid envelope. You really do not need to use an agent. It is money wasted.

We are really looking forward to our Holiday cruise to Beunos Aires and onwards to Brazil.

Every consulate has its own set of rules. I would recommend everyone to read the instructions carefully. Most of the consulates require the application forms to be completed on line. You simply have to bring the top page of your online application with your recent passport photo glued to it, together with your passport with expiry no less than 6 months, and your travel itinerary (for us the officer accepted a copy of the final invoice from Oceania and the itinerary printed off the website). It is very straight forward. The only twist for us is that we had to apply a visa for our son, who is 17. Both my wife and I have to be present in front of the consulate officer to sign his application form. I forgot to mention that please remember to bring a bank draft or money order (in our case), they do not accept credit card payment or cash (go figure!). They just want to make things as complicated as possible.

You do not need to incur extra expense using an agent, if you follow the rules properly. We are lucky enough to live a metro area where the consulate is within a 10 minutes bus ride from work. The issuance of the visa took three weeks, we were able to check the progress online. My guess is the visa issuance is pretty straight forward, the Brazilian government just wanted us to wait for it. The Visa was only processed the last day before the day they originally asked us to pick up our passports. Anyway even though the process was long but it was relatively painless. If you live in an area where it would be too far for you to travel personally to your regional Brazilian consulate, I would still recommend that you mail in your application and passports and travel itinerary, with a self addressed postage paid envelope. You really do not need to use an agent. It is money wasted.

We are really looking forward to our Holiday cruise to Beunos Aires and onwards to Brazil.

Just want to stress that this information is good for Canadians only. In the US, the ONLY method of payment acceptable is a USPS money order. Also, some of the consulates in the US do not accept mail applications. That's one of the big problems - the US consuls vary wildly in the procedure and the easy and speed of getting the visa.

Anyone have recent experience with mail-in applications to the Miami consulate? Since we live 350 mi. from Miami going in person is not a good option for us. I'd prefer not to have to use a visa service if I can safely do it myself. It irks me that the consulate will only accept one application per envelope. That doubles the cost of postage fees. All other countries we've visited have accepted all family visa applications in one mailing. Just one more aggravation :(

Anyone have recent experience with mail-in applications to the Miami consulate? Since we live 350 mi. from Miami going in person is not a good option for us. I'd prefer not to have to use a visa service if I can safely do it myself. It irks me that the consulate will only accept one application per envelope. That doubles the cost of postage fees. All other countries we've visited have accepted all family visa applications in one mailing. Just one more aggravation :(

I did my Visa for Bazil in person at Miami back in September. At that time they were very efficient and I had my passport back in two days. BTW, they will accept Express Mail, contrary to what it states online. Express is about half the cost of Priority Mail. Good luck!

Here's a copy of my e-mail from HAL (which I'm bringing with me, btw :)...

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding your sailing on the ms Veendam departing on December 21, 2009.

There is no Yellow Fever vaccination requirement on this voyage.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got our Brazilian Visa's today. We used ZVS and we're very happy with their service - had them 2 days before their promise date. They went through the Atlanta consulate. ZVS is not cheap but they delivered as promised and very helpful on the phone. They also provide you with a website that shows how your visas are progressing through the process.

****The following only pertains to the Brazil Consulate located in New York City. Your "local" consulate may have different procedures.****

****Wednesday, 12/16/09: Just got back from the NYC Brazil Consulate. It was basically a painless process. This morning I went to my post office and got two (2) US Postal money orders for $130 each-one for my wife and myself. The fee was about $1.50 for each.I then went to the NYC consulate making sure that I arrived during the stated time for drop off of application, which is 10AM-12 noon.I arrived at the consulate at 10:45AM. I got on a short line and proceeded to the reception area and was asked two questions: Did I have the money order and Did I have my online printout? I then was given a numbered ticket and took a seat in the waiting area until my number was called at 11:45AM. I then went to the assigned counter, gave the clerk my online printouts(photos attached), my passports, the money orders, and proof of when I would enter Brazil for the first time. She looked at the printout from Princess, that contained our itinerary; stated our entry into Brazil(March 16, 2010) and gave me back the printout with a receipt for two passports and 2 x $130. The receipt was numbered and the first pickup date was listed. This took two minutes and I was out the door. BTW-the one hour wait was due to one couple that took at least 20 minutes. Everyone else was a maximum of 5 minutes.

Our first pickup date is January 6, 2010. You must go between 2-4:30PM. You have 30 days to pick up your passports with the visa.

TIPS: Get a separate money order for each person.

"Proof of Itinerary": Go to your Princess Personalizer online; log in; go to View Travel Summary & Boarding Pass; THEN go to PRINT Travel Summary(about 12 pages). I just brought the "Travel summary-Cruise Summary" pages with me. It was accepted without any problems. This is the "documentation" that they are looking for. IF YOU ARE FLYING INTO BRAZIL(we are cruising into Brazil), bring a copy of your flight information ALSO. They need proof of your first "entry" into Brazil and how long you are staying.

Make sure you log onto the NYC consulate site at: http://en.brazilny.org/index.php?/co.../anchor/visas/ and at the top, under NOTES: "New visa system: as of August 24, 2009, all visa applications must be filled out online." CLICK on the "filled out online". It will take you to an online form, which must be filled out. After you are done, you will click on Submit and a one page form will appear. Print this out. Take it with you to the consulate. There is a space on the page to attach your photo(with glue) and a place for your signature.

When you are filling in the online form, make sure you enter dates as stated: dd/mm/yyyy. In the U.S. we are not used to this. DAY first, then month, followed by the year.

The NYC Brazil Consulate is located at 1185 Avenue of the Americas (6th Avenue for us New Yorkers!). It is between 45th and 46th streets. It is on the 21st floor.

Haven't had time to read through the entire thread.

If we are arriving in Rio by ship and going directly to the airport for our flight back to the US, will we need a visa?

Thanks for any insight.

Yes. You must obtain a visa before you board the ship. You must enter the country within 90 days of obtaining the visa otherwise it becomes invalid.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious...has anyone had a positive experience in getting their visa through ZVS when they have to go through the LA consulate? After reading all these threads, I am getting extremely nervous. I sent mine in a week ago and won't be able to sleep well until I get it back. It would just help to know that some people were successful. Our cruise is 02/02/10 on Princess.

I don't know about LA, but I am using ZVS in NYC. My documents have been there for two weeks. A week ago the web site indicated my docs were at the consulate, but Friday they were back at ZVS. When I called they said the consulate had sent them back, they were too busy right now to process my request.

I agree with you, I won't be happy until they are in my hands. My cruise is 3/11 so I have a few more weeks.

Good Luck to all!!!!!

I don't know about LA, but I am using ZVS in NYC. My documents have been there for two weeks. A week ago the web site indicated my docs were at the consulate, but Friday they were back at ZVS. When I called they said the consulate had sent them back, they were too busy right now to process my request.

I agree with you, I won't be happy until they are in my hands. My cruise is 3/11 so I have a few more weeks.

Good Luck to all!!!!!

Wow that is scarey - they are too busy??? I wonder if we get our money back from Princess if we can't board because the Embassy is too busy to give us a Visa?

Archived