vaparetto passes in venice

gvidaho

I noticed recently on veniceconnected.com that you can purchase vaparetto passes (and toilet passes, among other things) online. Does anyone know when the 24 hr period would start IF they are purchased online for a specific date??

Usually it starts when you first activate the card.

If you activate it at 2:10 pm on Sunday it will be good till 2 :10 pm on Monday

Validity can be 12, 24, 36 48 or 72 hours from stamping, depending on the chosen tariff solution

http://www.actv.it/english/navigazione.php?pagina=tariffe_vaporetto

Or Venice Card

http://www.hellovenezia.com/jsp/en/venicecard/index.jsp

Thanks for the info, LHT. On the veniceconnected site, you pick a specific date, then it seems to indicate the passes are good from 12:00am - 11:59pm on that date only. Could this be true? I had always read that passes were good from the time they were first stamped as well. (We're coming in on the Dream at 2:00pm and leave the next day at 5:00pm.)

Thanks for the info, LHT. On the veniceconnected site, you pick a specific date, then it seems to indicate the passes are good from 12:00am - 11:59pm on that date only. Could this be true? I had always read that passes were good from the time they were first stamped as well. (We're coming in on the Dream at 2:00pm and leave the next day at 5:00pm.)

I am not sure I would email them and ask or if the prices are not that much cheaper just buy your ticket on arrival

I would ask on the cruise line forum some lines sell the passes on the ship to save time.

Enjoy

Lyn

The veniceconnected passes are activated the moment you pick them up and that's when the hour countdown begins. Ours were anyway, we bought 48 hour passes, picked them up around 3:00 pm (the woman who took our voucher activated the two passes right then and handed them to me), we did check and as we headed to the ship at 1:30 two days later, they were still valid (you just waive them under the machines at some vaporetto stops and it tells you if they are active or not). If you arrive on a Monday but don't want the passes active until the Tuesday, arrange for a Tuesday pickup or just pay the extra bit and pick them up when you are ready to start using them. If you have just over 24 hours, depending on when the ship is cleared and you are allowed off and what time you have to be back on board, the 24 hour pass may just work for you, it would just depend on your timing. With the veniceconnected passes, there are more limitations for when you can pick them up, see their website, if you just want to buy a pass on the spot, you can do that at many more locations.

If you arrive on a Monday but don't want the passes active until the Tuesday, arrange for a Tuesday pickup or just pay the extra bit and pick them up when you are ready to start using them. If you have just over 24 hours, depending on when the ship is cleared and you are allowed off and what time you have to be back on board, the 24 hour pass may just work for you, it would just depend on your timing. With the veniceconnected passes, there are more limitations for when you can pick them up, see their website, if you just want to buy a pass on the spot, you can do that at many more locations.

That's great info nparmelee! So you are able to schedule a pickup (at the Hellovenezia booth?) upon your arrival at your choice of time? That sounds perfect if I am understanding correctly. We have a group of 14, so I'm just trying to get the details down in case I pass the tips on. Thanks!

Persoanlly I wouldn't preorder any vaporetto passes. The city is VERY easy for walking and other than using the V. to enjoy the Grand Canal, you will miss a ton of interesting Squares, shops, churches etc if you spend all your time on the boats. We covered lots of beautiful and interesting areas strolling thru the streets. And just made a dent in the 3 days we were there. Just get a good map and enjoy the city!

I noticed recently on veniceconnected.com that you can purchase vaparetto passes (and toilet passes, among other things) online. Does anyone know when the 24 hr period would start IF they are purchased online for a specific date??

There is really no need to by them on line. The passes are sold at most of the vaporetto stops and on board. The major stops all have credit card machines.

I bought 3 day passes for my niece and I online for our visit in August. We ended up only using them fully on one day when we went to Murano, on to the Lido and then back to venice. We ised it one other day to ride down the Grand Canal. venice turned out to be smaller than i thought it would be and we ended up doing far more on foot. The vaporettos were very crowded and my niece really hated being squashed up against so many people. With hidsight, we'd have been better just buying single tickets for the journeys we did.

We were there 2 weeks ago for 5 days. We were going to get the 7day pass, but once we got there, we found that we spent the 1st day just walking everywhere and didn't need the passes. Then we spent one day taking the train in to Verona....so didn't need a pass then either. We finally bought a 36 hour pass that actually took us through 2 full days. (Count the hours you're going to be using them. Like if you buy it at 10 AM on a Tuesday, it's good til 10 PM on Wed.) We also learned to travel against the main flow of traffic....just like commuting at home. There are definitely rush hours. This is the main method of transportation for the locals.

Our experience was not typical. When we were in Venice, it rained incessantly, so our plans were useless. We holed up in vaporettos and went to Murano one day and Burano the next. We loved them, but try to see both the same day if you can!:D

We think the toilet passes are not worth anything. They are for a few public toilets that my wife would never enter. If you need a toilet its easy to just stop at any cafe, perhaps order a coffee and than use their facilities. As to the Vaporetto passes, there is no reason to buy them in advance as they are sold at quite a few locations throughout Venice. For cruise passengers you can purchase those passes at the ACTV office located in the Piazzale Roma. I think they also sell them at the airport at the information desk located near where you pick up your luggage. When we were in Venice last December we witnessed some very angry tourists who had pre-purchased Venice Cards on-line and had to pick them up at the airport. It turned out that the airport ticket counter employees were on strike and they could not get their tickets (not sure if they ever got their money back).

Hank

I went on line to order our Connect Cards but never got a PNR number in an e-mail. They billed my credit card and now I'm fighting to get my money back. We bought cards when we got there. The fee is not much more by buying at one of their Connect booths. Very easy process and they speak English. Activates when you first use it. Everytime you swipe it before getting on the boat it tells you your remaining time. Easy to use.

Archived