Post your Southwest Airline boarding pass results!

recyclelady

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread that tells:

1. Did you purchase the early bird boarding?

2. What were your boarding pass numbers?

We have a flight to Las Vegas tomorrow (totally unrelated to cruising!) I did not pay the early bird fee for boarding.

We got A35 and A36. I'm pleased.

We aren't going to have computer access at the 24 hour mark for the return flight, so I'm going to have our daughter check us in. I hope she has good luck for us!

1. Did you purchase the early bird boarding?

2. What were your boarding pass numbers?

We have a flight to Las Vegas tomorrow (totally unrelated to cruising!) I did not pay the early bird fee for boarding.

We got A35 and A36. I'm pleased.

We aren't going to have computer access at the 24 hour mark for the return flight, so I'm going to have our daughter check us in. I hope she has good luck for us!

It would also be useful to post departure/arrival airports, dates of flights, flight numbers and at what time you checked in.

It would also be useful to post departure/arrival airports, dates of flights, flight numbers and at what time you checked in.

Good point!

Chicago Midway to Las Vegas

Tuesday, Sept. 22

7:25 am flight

checked in at exactly the 24 hour mark

no early bird fee paid

A35 and A36

I did the Early Bird purchase just last week..... before it was available for a fee and I checked in at the 24 hour mark, I seemed to always get an A 30+ boarding pass on average.... when paying the $10 fee I ended up with A 16....

I was not concerned of the $10 fee as it was simply a test of the cost effectiveness that really was not necessary.

I think it is a crap shoot either way but even the "B" group had no problem finding a seat that was sufficient.

I think where the problem lies is for those ending up with a "C" group boarding pass when the seat choices are limited.

So, some will purchase the $10 early boarding pass and in the end, if it keeps the fares down, it's ok with me if they purchase, but I probably would not in the future unless I was unable to check in at the 24 hour mark or have someone do so for me if I was unable to do so.

We just went to Las Vegas for the weekend and so glad I did the early bird. I typically check in on my Blackberry and then print out boarding pass when I get to the airport. This time was not able to get thru on the Blackberry and would have surely had a C if not done automatically by "early bird". We got A18 and 19 on an over- booked flight. Well worth $10.

------------------

Helen

Can you buy the early bird for just one way of your flight? Waiting for SW to open for a cruise late March. I was wondering since on a cruise it would be worth it to pay the 10.00 for ticket home if you don't use the internet onboard!!

Yes, it is purchased for each flight seperately and gives you the option which flights you would like it for.

We will find out Saturday when we check in for our flight from MCI to LAX.

We went ahead and paid the $10 fee for flying home also, mainly as checking in that last day in Tahiti could be a problem onboard the ship. We will soon see if there was a benefit to paying this.

DH and I booked SW in mid November and decided last night to spend the $10 each to have a better selection of seats. I must say at first I was apprehensive but now I'm actually happy that I don't have to worry about checking in at the 24 hour point to try and get a good seat. We'll see if the additional funds were indeed worth it. :)

the $10 each

Since it is generally "allowable" to "save" seats on Southwest, it has been suggested that when one is in a traveling party of 2 or more, only 1 person needs to spend the $10 and just hold seats for the remaining folks in the party. (Obviously, this won't work if your party is 10+, but it should certainly work if your party is 2-4 people--unless they all want window seats!)

Since it is generally "allowable" to "save" seats on Southwest, it has been suggested that when one is in a traveling party of 2 or more, only 1 person needs to spend the $10 and just hold seats for the remaining folks in the party. (Obviously, this won't work if your party is 10+, but it should certainly work if your party is 2-4 people--unless they all want window seats!)

OMG.... a new twist to "Chair Hogs" !!! :eek::D .....Couldn't resist !

But seriously, I would never even consider saving seats to save that $10.00 fee....Just rude in my eyes.

OMG.... a new twist to "Chair Hogs" !!!

Well, but chair hogs on a cruise save seats that are hardly ever used again. Here we expect that the saved seats will be used in relatively short order--at least that is what the hope is!:)

I’ve never flown Southwest before but will in December. I have 2 questions. My flight from home to my destination has a stop with a plane change. When I do online check-in, will I get a boarding number for both flights or just the first? On the way home from the destination, I have the same situation. Would I pay $10 for each flight or a total of $10 for the early bird feature? Thanks for any answers!

I have 2 questions. My flight from home to my destination has a stop with a plane change. When I do online check-in, will I get a boarding number for both flights or just the first? On the way home from the destination, I have the same situation. Would I pay $10 for each flight or a total of $10 for the early bird feature? Thanks for any answers!

1. When you check-in online for the first leg of your trip, you will receive boarding passes for all segments of your outbound trip assuming that it has not been purchased on 2 separate tickets.

2. The early bird feature is on a one-way basis from origin to destination. Again, assuming that you do not have 2 separate tickets, the early bird feature will apply for all segments of your outbound (and later inbound) trip.

We just returned from a trip on SW and DID pay the $10. I will have to say it worked very well. We did not have access to a computer until late in the day before we left and still had A20 (or so) passes for all legs of our trip. It cost us all of about $40, and well worth it as all of our flights were full. There was some seat saving going on and the FAs put a stop to it very quickly when they saw it. Would do it again under the same circumstances.

My father died last week and I needed a flight NOW to get to my mom. I booked the next SWA flight out of Portland for Sacramento and paid the extra $10 because the flight was in 3 hours from booking. I got boarding pass A4 and was actually the second person on the plane (some no shows I assume) .. and this was a good thing because the flight was very full.

I had always heard that if you booked at the last minute, you got the extra screening but this was not the case at PDX this time.

I just checked in (24 hours prior) for our flight out tomorrow. We did pay for the EB check in to test it out. The first passenger I checked in received A23 and the second received A22. Thought that was a bit strange unless they are actually assigning these numbers at the 36 hour mark as they say they are, and his came before mine.

Now for the real test when we can't check in until we arrive at the airport for the return trip next month.

KLLund, So sorry about your Dad. We, too, were flying out of PDX last week and noticed very full flights. Our flight had not one person in the "Business Select" portion of the boarding process. (A4 should be part of that section) That left a large gap in the boarding. Glad to hear they put you in it! SW seems to still have that bit of "humanity" that many of the airlines have lost.

SW seems to still have that bit of "humanity" that many of the airlines have lost.

Don't get too carried away with SWA's "humanity".

Every major airline out there has special policies for dealing with situations like this. At a minimum it's 50% off fares after confirming with the hospital or Red Cross.

Last year my wife was notified to get to her fathers side ASAP. American gave her 50% off and then when she arrived at the airport, the gate agents put her up front to first class.

Your hotel will be glad to get your boarding pass at the proper time. You don't even have to quit gambling!:rolleyes:

I think there was a misunderstanding of my post. I didn't mention to SWA that I was going because of a death (Its an hour flight and it isn't worth all the notification to save on that fare) .. I just paid the Business Select like anyone else could do .. and was happy that I did with such short notice to get to Calif.

Archived