St. Thomas -- will Oasis make it there

debtmkr

"Quote:

Originally Posted by nanner10 viewpost.gif

The statement that Crown Bay is not ideal because it does not have the same transportation infrastructure is not good news.

Quote:

Crown Bay is not an ideal location because it does not have the same security"

I live in St Thomas, neither one of the statements above have ANY BASIS in reality. There will be plenty of transportation available and there is no security issues at Crown Bay.

That being said, Havensight does have more advantages. It is much easier to get to the east end of the island (Red Hook, Sapphire, Coki) from Havensight. Alot more shopping options right off the ship at Havensight.

Getting to Magens Bay is just as easy from either dock.

Getting to and from the town of Charlotte Amalie is probably easier from Crown Bay. There tends to be a bottle neck between "town" (downtown Charlotte Amalie) and Havensight.

We were at Crown Bay (on Eurodam) last December. There was no problem getting a cab into town (I think it was $1 more than from Havensight). There were plenty of empty stores there, though, so shopping was pretty poor. As far as Security......I didn't notice anything amiss, the Queen Mary does dock there, so I would think they'd have a handle on security.

I don't understand the security issue. Shouldn't that be a flexible thing. Cities don't normally have hundreds of guards around sports venues 24/7. They move them there for events. Shouldn't it be just as easy to switch some from Havensight to Crown Bay?

I've been to both piers several times and prefer Crown Bay over Havensight. Getting back to the ship is not bumper to bumper to CB as it is to Havensight. The shopping is fine and the security should be even better given the layout of the pier. I'll be on the Ruby Princess in December and hope to be in Crown Bay but not with the Oasis.

It looks nice ... no problems there. The only sad thing about not be docking at Havensight is that when Oasis is there for the first time, Carnival Dream and Celebretys newest ship is there at the same time. It would have been fun to see thoese three ship at the same dock.

It looks nice ... no problems there. The only sad thing about not be docking at Havensight is that when Oasis is there for the first time, Carnival Dream and Celebretys newest ship is there at the same time. It would have been fun to see thoese three ship at the same dock.

LOL...i was thinking the same thing. i wanted to see the carnival dream up close...:)

Great link Tyron... thanks.

RICH..............................

you're welcome...:D the area doesn't look bad @ all.

LOL...i was thinking the same thing. i wanted to see the carnival dream up close...:)

Oasis and Dream won't be together but you can easily take a cab to Havensight from Crown Bay. We did last December.....I think it was $5/pp.

You should be able to see the Dream in St. Maarten. I know that she is going to be in St. Maarten with us and three other ships on our cruise. Not sure if the Dream will use the new pier or the older one.

Oasis and Dream won't be together but you can easily take a cab to Havensight from Crown Bay. We did last December.....I think it was $5/pp.

thanks for the info....i'll definitely give the trip over to havensight some thought.:cool:

You should be able to see the Dream in St. Maarten. I know that she is going to be in St. Maarten with us and three other ships on our cruise. Not sure if the Dream will use the new pier or the older one.

hey, how have u been? :) have they begun using the new pier in st maarten? i almost forgot about that....

we wont see the dream in st maarten during the dec 5th sailing....the dream will be in san juan

Ty ~ on the flip side I am sure there are a few Carnival cruisers who would love to see the Oasis up close and personal:D

thanks for the info....i'll definitely give the trip over to havensight some thought.:cool:

hey, how have u been? :) have they begun using the new pier in st maarten? i almost forgot about that....

we wont see the dream in st maarten during the dec 5th sailing....the dream will be in san juan

Doing well thanks. We were last in SM in April and the pier itself was just about finished. They still had work to do up on land where the pier connects and more shops will be. Here are a few photos.

http://cruisingatorscruisephotos.shutterfly.com/2659

http://cruisingatorscruisephotos.shutterfly.com/2658

http://cruisingatorscruisephotos.shutterfly.com/2660

Doing well thanks. We were last in SM in April and the pier itself was just about finished. They still had work to do up on land where the pier connects and more shops will be. Here are a few photos.

thanks 4 sharing your pics. the new pier looks 100% complete in your pics from april. :D:cool: i'm so psyched about my upcoming cruises in 6 weeks.

I was looking at some of your other pictures and saw a few from the airport beach (don't know the real name). Did you take an excursion to get there or go on your own? I've wanted to visit on our upcoming Oasis but haven't seen anything going there.

I was looking at some of your other pictures and saw a few from the airport beach (don't know the real name). Did you take an excursion to get there or go on your own? I've wanted to visit on our upcoming Oasis but haven't seen anything going there.

We took local bus to Maho Beach. Picked it up downtown. Had lunch at Sunset? Bar and teenagers had a ball on beach. They stood by fence as Jets took off and got blasted with sand.

We saw quite a few jet landings around noon.

We did have to wait about 15 minutes to get a local bus back to town but a neat experience.

While I am not booked on the OASIS, i have followed all the updates with interest. I just saw a news article about the docking at the CROWN dock instead of Havensight. This is where Princess docks and to be honest with you I actually prefer it.

We aren't shoppers and it is a bit father to get into town but there is a nice little area at the dock with a great bar serving yummy PAINKILLERS and a short walk across a parking lot to the crown marina where there is a great local restaurant, a gourmet grocery and the ferry to Water Island.

Water island is a small island just off st Thomas that has a lovely little beach and is really a gem. Its not st John's but for a non ship excursion with beach it is cheap, very picturesque and close via water taxi.

I don't think it is really a negative that docking was changed!

While I am not booked on the OASIS, i have followed all the updates with interest. I just saw a news article about the docking at the CROWN dock instead of Havensight. This is where Princess docks and to be honest with you I actually prefer it.

We aren't shoppers and it is a bit father to get into town but there is a nice little area at the dock with a great bar serving yummy PAINKILLERS and a short walk across a parking lot to the crown marina where there is a great local restaurant, a gourmet grocery and the ferry to Water Island.

Water island is a small island just off st Thomas that has a lovely little beach and is really a gem. Its not st John's but for a non ship excursion with beach it is cheap, very picturesque and close via water taxi.

I don't think it is really a negative that docking was changed!

Karen ~ I have docked as well at Crown Bay on a Princess ship. I was not aware of the water taxi to Water Island..this sounds like a lovely way to spend the day especially for those that have been to St. Thomas many times. What specific beach did you go to on Water Island?

Karen ~ I have docked as well at Crown Bay on a Princess ship. I was not aware of the water taxi to Water Island..this sounds like a lovely way to spend the day especially for those that have been to St. Thomas many times. What specific beach did you go to on Water Island?

Emmy

There is a watertaxi at the dock in the crown marina which is a short walk fron the dock.Here is a link to the ferry schedule: http://www.usvi.net/water/html/ferry.html

we waited at the restaurant at the marina and paid on the boat. The driver is a water island local. I printed a map from the st thomas/usvi site and it pointed to a beach called Honeymoon Beach. There is another beach as well a little farther from the ferry dock. Some others from the ship who also took the ferry didn't like honeymoon beach ( no chair rentals) and i overheard them wondering if there was another spot on the island and gave them my printouts.

It is about a 7-10 minute ferry ride and a 10-15 minute walk to the beach. Here are some pics.

It was a great find. I would definitely return.

1665330497_waterisland07.jpg.2aebefff2b1e41589aa9a68e11f73c8d.jpg

4459225_waterisland06.jpg.1bda09d325b31dc2060979fb8bdc3426.jpg

243663561_waterisland01.jpg.880f1b50a72843cd3ab46c50e2b75dc4.jpg

2015280731_waterisland02.jpg.91cccbf048f1852c09b41d24b93f0e6b.jpg

1030575936_waterisland03.jpg.d2d3f150597bd43a4f69f0e032048973.jpg

Emmy

There is a watertaxi at the dock in the crown marina which is a short walk fron the dock.Here is a link to the ferry schedule: http://www.usvi.net/water/html/ferry.html

we waited at the restaurant at the marina and paid on the boat. The driver is a water island local. I printed a map from the st thomas/usvi site and it pointed to a beach called Honeymoon Beach. There is another beach as well a little farther from the ferry dock. Some others from the ship who also took the ferry didn't like honeymoon beach ( no chair rentals) and i overheard them wondering if there was another spot on the island and gave them my printouts.

It is about a 7-10 minute ferry ride and a 10-15 minute walk to the beach. Here are some pics.

It was a great find. I would definitely return.

Karen ~ Thank you for those photos and the great info here. :)I did check out RCI website for excursions and they do have an interesting bike ride on Water Island with a stop at Honeymoon Beach. Will consider this as well.

thanks again

Archived