Wifi question - have iPhone

lem3u

I have an iPhone and we will be sailing on the BOS in November. I know I can connect to the wifi, but I was wondering what the exact procedure is so that it does not stay connected all day?

I will have it in airplane mode with wifi on. When I want to connect to wifi to download my pop3 email accounts, will I connect to the ships wifi and then login through the browser? I don't see myself doing any surfing, I just want to download email, log off, write replies, then log back on and send. When I select "Forget Network" in settings, does that automatically log me off?

I'm guessing there is an iPhone user on here who has used their phone recently and can help me out. Just trying to avoid accidentally keeping it connected all day and running up a huge bill.

Thank for the info.

If you have it in airplane mode, then the Wifi won't connect. You want to make sure that you have data roaming off - that's where people rack up those horrendous data charges when overseas.

When you board the ship, you need to set up a wireless account at the Internet cafe. You'll create a username and password, and then select whether you want to pay by the minute (.55) or buy a package of minutes that bring the rate down to as low as .38.

You'll also need to be near a hot spot with your phone - when you first go into Safari, you'll find yourself on the login page. Log in, do what you need to do, then return to that page (bookmark it) to log off. It's that simple.

And then go back into airplane mode.:)

I was ok with phone calls or texting but didn't want to get any emails. I usually get about 200 work emails a day and the AT&T rate while on the ship is $0.19/kb. I went into settings and turned off data roaming and never got emails once out of Port Canaveral until I arrived in St Thomas and then all my emails loaded and the bill should be fine.

If you have it in airplane mode, then the Wifi won't connect. You want to make sure that you have data roaming off - that's where people rack up those horrendous data charges when overseas.

When you board the ship, you need to set up a wireless account at the Internet cafe. You'll create a username and password, and then select whether you want to pay by the minute (.55) or buy a package of minutes that bring the rate down to as low as .38.

You'll also need to be near a hot spot with your phone - when you first go into Safari, you'll find yourself on the login page. Log in, do what you need to do, then return to that page (bookmark it) to log off. It's that simple.

And then go back into airplane mode.:)

Thanks for the info, I figured that was the way you did it. So, after logging in and then closing safari, then checking email, I open safari and return to the login page which will show me as logged in, then I log out?

Actually, once you go into airplane mode, you can then go into settings and re-enable the wifi. I think they enabled that feature with the 2.0 firmware. Since I'm not going to use the phone feature, I'm going to keep it in airplane mode and keep wifi on.

Thanks for posting the info about the Wi-Fi packages. Do you know a breakdown of how the packages are priced? I remember somewhere reading that there was an unlimited Wi-Fi package that was around 10.00 +/- per day. Do you know if that is still the case? I am on FOS in November '09.

Archived