Confiscated Personal Items NOT Returned!!

kenmel

We just returned from the Carnival Valor - 9/13-9/20. At our stop in Roatan, I purchased two, locally handmade candles. Once on board the ship, these items were taken by security to be delivered back to me the last night – Saturday. I understand the reason, (fire hazard - although people have all sort of lighters and cigarettes everywhere), and I was fine with that.

However, I did not receive my purchases back Saturday night. Sunday morning, I went first thing to Guest Services on board the ship, and I was informed that I had to pick them up in the cruise terminal with the luggage. Once in the terminal, I contacted a Carnival representative as to where I could pick up my candles. The representative told me that no, I should have received them in my cabin Saturday evening. I told I her I had not. She contacted Guest Services back on the ship, and after approximately 45 minutes, a Guest Services representative came to the terminal to show me a delivery log. The printed log clearly showed cabin 1257 – two candles. However, the handwritten log showed a signature for delivery that the Guest Services representative confirmed was NOT mine or my husband’s signature. The handwritten cabin number on the delivery log was not very clear. The Guest Representative acknowledged and confirmed there had been a mistake. Then the “couldn’t care less attitude” Guest Representative, told me in so many words, that I was basically “screwed”.

The Personnel on the ship were entrusted with my purchases, but failed to deliver them to me and are now who knows where. I am out not only financially, but also sentimentally as I am unable to replace them.

Has anyone had a similiar experience? I have contacted Carnival's Guest Services, but they are not responding. Any suggestions? It is amazing how one negative thing at the end of the cruise can cast such a bad memory about the cruise and the cruise line.

Sounds like it's time to write a letter to the president of Carnival. I would simply cut & paste what you wrote here. Don't embellish it, just ask for help.

That's a shame. I've never had anything that needed to be picked up/delivered at the end, so I can't help there, but I know I would be more than disappointed.

:(

Same thing happened to a person in our group 2 years ago. We were on the Conquest and visited Jamaica. Well this person bought a special tequila that was only available there and did as we were told to do..... check in the liquor when we re-boarded the ship. Well come that last night they couldn't find her bottle. They offered to replace it with the ship brand, but again she had specially looked for this brand beings it was only available in Jamaica. Well after she said no basically that was it. They didn't offer to pick up a bottle the next week and ship it to her. You would think that beings they lost it they would be responsible, but no ...... Good luck on getting any results.

While disappointing, if it were me, I'd not make a big deal about it. I mean, it's CANDLES....

That's just me, of course.

Ranting and raving isn't going to solve a thing. If you kept the receipt for your purchases, write a letter (not an email) to customer service, enclose a copy of the bill. Write out the events - as they happened - in a calm manner.

They may refund your purchase...or not.....

We just returned from the Carnival Valor - 9/13-9/20. At our stop in Roatan, I purchased two, locally handmade candles. Once on board the ship, these items were taken by security to be delivered back to me the last night – Saturday. I understand the reason, (fire hazard - although people have all sort of lighters and cigarettes everywhere), and I was fine with that.

However, I did not receive my purchases back Saturday night. Sunday morning, I went first thing to Guest Services on board the ship, and I was informed that I had to pick them up in the cruise terminal with the luggage. Once in the terminal, I contacted a Carnival representative as to where I could pick up my candles. The representative told me that no, I should have received them in my cabin Saturday evening. I told I her I had not. She contacted Guest Services back on the ship, and after approximately 45 minutes, a Guest Services representative came to the terminal to show me a delivery log. The printed log clearly showed cabin 1257 – two candles. However, the handwritten log showed a signature for delivery that the Guest Services representative confirmed was NOT mine or my husband’s signature. The handwritten cabin number on the delivery log was not very clear. The Guest Representative acknowledged and confirmed there had been a mistake. Then the “couldn’t care less attitude” Guest Representative, told me in so many words, that I was basically “screwed”.

The Personnel on the ship were entrusted with my purchases, but failed to deliver them to me and are now who knows where. I am out not only financially, but also sentimentally as I am unable to replace them.

Has anyone had a similiar experience? I have contacted Carnival's Guest Services, but they are not responding. Any suggestions? It is amazing how one negative thing at the end of the cruise can cast such a bad memory about the cruise and the cruise line.

Sorry to hear that your candles were not returned to you.

A few years ago we took some candles on our cruise (didn't know they were forbidden) and they were confiscated. We were able to pick them up as we were leaving the ship (final sail and sign "dong"). There was a list of 15 - 20 people that were picking up items (decorative swords to fishing knives and candles).

Hopefully you can find some resolution with Carnival.

I had the same thing with liquor. Funny, there was all this liquor in our room. I knew I had purchased 4 bottles and just thought DH had purchased some also.

The next morning we heard someone complaining about not getting their liqour. (Lido deck waiting to disembark) I mentioned to my husband as we are sitting in the midst of all these liquor boxes "We should give some of ours.. why did you buy so much". He says "I didn't buy any I thought you told me you were only getting 4 bottles and how the are we getting all these bottles home. Ooopps, eight of those bottles were not ours.

We look on the tags on the boxes sure enough the name was "Olasenski. I guess one Polish name is the same as another.. so my DH asked the people seated at the next table what their last name was.. sure enough it was them. The father was at the purser's desk raising cane. So we were able to give them their bottles.

But they were lucky we were sitting there and we were lucky we did not become unintentional thieves.

Same thing happened to a person in our group 2 years ago. We were on the Conquest and visited Jamaica. Well this person bought a special tequila that was only available there and did as we were told to do..... check in the liquor when we re-boarded the ship. Well come that last night they couldn't find her bottle. They offered to replace it with the ship brand, but again she had specially looked for this brand beings it was only available in Jamaica. Well after she said no basically that was it. They didn't offer to pick up a bottle the next week and ship it to her. You would think that beings they lost it they would be responsible, but no ...... Good luck on getting any results.

When you reboard, do they check your check in bag thoroughly for any alcohol? I was wondering if there is a way to get around this.

I know if I locate some hard-to-find rums on any of the islands I go to, I'd be hesitant to entrust them to any of the staff for the remainder of the cruise.

When you reboard, do they check your check in bag thoroughly for any alcohol? I was wondering if there is a way to get around this.

I know if I locate some hard-to-find rums on any of the islands I go to, I'd be hesitant to entrust them to any of the staff for the remainder of the cruise.

Yea, they normally take it from you and deliver it to your cabin on the last night.

Sorry to hear that. My mom purchased 2 bottles of liquor at one of the ports when we were on the Glory in May. They were supposed to be delivered to her the last night. She called the purser's desk the last evening to ask when to expect her bottles. They told her before 6:00. 6:00pm came and went, and no delivery. She called the puser's desk, who said "it'll be there by 8:00pm."

8:00pm arrived, but not the liquor. She called the purser's desk again. They told her "well, there are a couple of bottles here, but we can't tell who the owner is. Come to the desk and check."

So my mom, who has mobility issues, had to walk down a long hall and up a deck or two to the purser's desk, then wait in line to see if the liquor they had there was hers. Sure enough, it was! The employee who logged it in had transposed 2 of the cabin numbers.

My hubby was p*ssed. He said "forget about the fact they didn't just SEND someone with the bottles to her cabin instead of making her schlep to Guest Services on the last evening! WHY didn't they put 2 and 2 together? They had someone complaining that they didn't receive they exact brand of liquor that is sitting there at their desk without an owner for several hours, and no one thought 'hey, maybe this is hers'?" :rolleyes:

We were on the Conquest and visited Jamaica. Well this person bought a special tequila that was only available there and did as we were told to do..... check in the liquor when we re-boarded the ship.

Whats funny about this is that tequila is only made in Mexico!

That is like if you buy alcohol in an island or on the ship. It is delivered on the last night outside our cabin door. What is to stop someone from picking it up and drinking or taking it home. It would be very easy for a teen to just walk by and get into it. If they want to deliver things to your cabin on the last night. It should be done so that the stewards are around and can put into the cabins.

They have a check-in table set up just a couple of feet from the secuity station with the x-ray machines when you reboard the ship. You are supposed to go through the security checkpoint, then proceed to the table to check in your liquor.

However, (and I am not advocating bypassing the liquor check-in), if you are coming aboard with a large group of people, especially if there are lots of bags, strollers, and children in the group, those couple of feet between security and check-in become a bit of disorganized mess, and no one seems to pay attention on whether you proceed to the check-in table or just keep on walking.

My advice, though, if you know you're going to be purchasing liquor, would be to bring some labels or tags with your name and cabin # written on them in permanent marker and large clear lettering. Take the labels off the ship with you wherever the port is that you plan on buying your liquor. Then, after you make your purchase and before you reboard, slap a label on each bottle (or box, if you buy multiple bottles that come in that handy carrying box) and another label or two on the store bag, so that there's no mistake as to who the owner is.

That is like if you buy alcohol in an island or on the ship. It is delivered on the last night outside our cabin door. What is to stop someone from picking it up and drinking or taking it home. It would be very easy for a teen to just walk by and get into it. If they want to deliver things to your cabin on the last night. It should be done so that the stewards are around and can put into the cabins.

Liquor is NEVER delivered and just left outside ones cabin. The cabin stewards place the box inside your room. On my cruise in August I arrived home and opened my box to find vodka instead of the Crown Royal we had purchased and we're still waiting for Carnival to respond to our letter.

Sorry to hear that. My mom purchased 2 bottles of liquor at one of the ports when we were on the Glory in May. They were supposed to be delivered to her the last night. She called the purser's desk the last evening to ask when to expect her bottles. They told her before 6:00. 6:00pm came and went, and no delivery. She called the puser's desk, who said "it'll be there by 8:00pm."

8:00pm arrived, but not the liquor. She called the purser's desk again. They told her "well, there are a couple of bottles here, but we can't tell who the owner is. Come to the desk and check."

So my mom, who has mobility issues, had to walk down a long hall and up a deck or two to the purser's desk, then wait in line to see if the liquor they had there was hers. Sure enough, it was! The employee who logged it in had transposed 2 of the cabin numbers.

My hubby was p*ssed. He said "forget about the fact they didn't just SEND someone with the bottles to her cabin instead of making her schlep to Guest Services on the last evening! WHY didn't they put 2 and 2 together? They had someone complaining that they didn't receive they exact brand of liquor that is sitting there at their desk without an owner for several hours, and no one thought 'hey, maybe this is hers'?" :rolleyes:

Your mom has mobility issues and you made her schlep down to get her liquor? Why didn't you get it for her?

They are not paid enough to think as they do things according to their rules and regs.! They do things according to protocol...think about it.

Who, exactly, made her Schlep? Bad son!

Whats funny about this is that tequila is only made in Mexico!

REAL Tequilla can only be made in Mexico and only in the state of Jurasco (sp) any other tequilla is a knockoff and isn't even close to the real thing. Mescal can be made from any cactus and tastes close to tequilla but a bit harsher.

I think tequila can be made in places other than Mexico..

Yes, but it is not REAL Tequilla. It is more than likely Mescal. Mexico has a very strict law about what can be called tequilla and it is ONLY made from the blue agave cactus. Perhaps in the usa or other countries they are not so strict. Who really knows.

Whatever.. I have no dog in this fight.

Happy sails:)

While disappointing' date=' if it were me, I'd not make a big deal about it. I mean, it's CANDLES....

That's just me, of course.

Ranting and raving isn't going to solve a thing. If you kept the receipt for your purchases, write a letter (not an email) to customer service, enclose a copy of the bill. Write out the events - as they happened - in a calm manner.

They may refund your purchase...or not.....[/quote']

Agreed it's probably not a 'big deal'..but in fact in customer service little deals..become bigger deals. A customer shouldn't have to jump through that many hoops to get guest recovery. Where was the receipt they should given have the poster for taking the items? Would you even check your jacket at a resturant without a receipt? Once they took possesion of the items, they (Carnival) has the responsibility to track or refund. I'm sure you wouldn't expect anything less if the item was your car or a coat checked at resturant. Blow it off? No, if they can lose a low price items and don't issue tracking systems to the customers..what about higher priced items? I'm sure if it was your car, you wouldn't 'blow it off'.

A friend of mine went to Jamaica and got some rum but before she re-boarded the ship she put it in those rum carriers and put them in her backpack. They never checked her backpack only the stuff in her bags, like she said, she was not going to trust the crew with her liquor. She had read on this board about this happening and she made up her mind it was not going to happen to her and it didn't.

Liquor is NEVER delivered and just left outside ones cabin. The cabin stewards place the box inside your room. On my cruise in August I arrived home and opened my box to find vodka instead of the Crown Royal we had purchased and we're still waiting for Carnival to respond to our letter.

Our delivered liquor was left outside our cabin door on the Fascination in March.

They are not paid enough to think as they do things according to their rules and regs.! They do things according to protocol...think about it.

Who, exactly, made her Schlep? Bad son!

I think Lady Jag is a daughter..and I think you are jumping to assumptions here. I often cruise with my mother. If she had this problem she would NEVER tell me.. my mom handles things on her own and would have schelpped the whole length of the ship 5x before she would have asked ANYONE else to go do something for her. Its a lifetime of being the one who does everything. To me this sounded like it was a done deal before the daughter found out about the schlepping.

In Carnival's defense... I'm sure they were unaware of the mom's mobility issues. Even though my mother would never had said anything the onus was really on Lady Jag's mom to say "It will be hard for me to come down there could you bring it here and let me see". Then if they said no there would be a reason to complain.

Agreed it's probably not a 'big deal'..but in fact in customer service little deals..become bigger deals. A customer shouldn't have to jump through that many hoops to get guest recovery. Where was the receipt they should given have the poster for taking the items? Would you even check your jacket at a resturant without a receipt? Once they took possesion of the items, they (Carnival) has the responsibility to track or refund. I'm sure you wouldn't expect anything less if the item was your car or a coat checked at resturant. Blow it off? No, if they can lose a low price items and don't issue tracking systems to the customers..what about higher priced items? I'm sure if it was your car, you wouldn't 'blow it off'.

I definitely don't like to make mountains out of molehills. But I was offended by the "not a big deal". You said exactly what I was thinking..thanks

Archived