Confiscated Personal Items NOT Returned!!

kenmel

While disappointing' date=' if it were me, I'd not make a big deal about it. I mean, it's CANDLES....

That's just me, of course.

Ranting and raving isn't going to solve a thing. [/quote']

Why even bother posting if your just gonna be negative?

Hi

I started a thread "BUYERS BEWARE" a few weeks ago, on this subject. You'll see that missing items are a regular problem. I purchased alcohol at a ship recommended store but some items were missing. I had been corresponding with Carnival for months and they eventually responded with "sorry, not our problem".

The moral of the story is Carnival are more than happy for you to spend, spend, spend but don't expect customer service from them when something goes wrong.

Liquor is NEVER delivered and just left outside ones cabin. The cabin stewards place the box inside your room. On my cruise in August I arrived home and opened my box to find vodka instead of the Crown Royal we had purchased and we're still waiting for Carnival to respond to our letter.

On every Carnival cruise we have taken there is always bottles of liquor that are placed outside of cabin doors on the last night. Now if they deliver it while the stewards are still working your cabin steward may place it in your room.

It's been written before that after passing xray and moving over to security to give up the goods, if you purchased several bottles you can hand over one and keep the rest since security doesn't look into the bags. I suppose you could buy some of those airline sized bottles and turn them in and keep the rest. I'm surprised they noticed candles.

I think Lady Jag is a daughter..and I think you are jumping to assumptions here. I often cruise with my mother. If she had this problem she would NEVER tell me.. my mom handles things on her own and would have schelpped the whole length of the ship 5x before she would have asked ANYONE else to go do something for her. Its a lifetime of being the one who does everything. To me this sounded like it was a done deal before the daughter found out about the schlepping.

In Carnival's defense... I'm sure they were unaware of the mom's mobility issues. Even though my mother would never had said anything the onus was really on Lady Jag's mom to say "It will be hard for me to come down there could you bring it here and let me see". Then if they said no there would be a reason to complain.

BINGO! On both counts. Thank you for that.:)

I guess I should have provided all those details and my and my mom's personality profiles before replying to a topic that had to do with unreturned personal items. Maybe then I could have avoided the cyber slaps.

slap.gif

While disappointing' date=' if it were me, I'd not make a big deal about it. I mean, it's CANDLES....

Ranting and raving isn't going to solve a thing. If you kept the receipt for your purchases, write a letter (not an email) to customer service, enclose a copy of the bill. Write out the events - as they happened - in a calm manner.

They may refund your purchase...or not.....[/quote']

Oh come on G'ma...."big deal">>???

They wanted the candles, they bought the candles...

I seriously doubt you would be so blaise if this happened to YOU

~~~~~~~~~

As for Lady Jag's Mom....why would people ASSume that they "let" her walk and carry back the bottles?

I thought it was pretty clear that Mom did this on her own, didn't ask for help...it is a shame Carnival

didn't walk those bottles back for her especially since they goofed up in the first place

~~~~~~~~

"Ship" Happens...and when it happens to you you will want your stuff back, I know I would

Carnival took the candles and gave her a reciept I think...they should make good on them

they have guest relations people who can get off the ship in Roatan the next time, buy the same candles

and ship them to her...that is customer service

Failing that, at the very least Carnival should refund the money for lost candles

~~~~~~

The suggestion to mark/label and tag one's own items is a goody...guess that is one more thing to carry on a cruise,

marker, tape, labels LOL

While disappointing' date=' if it were me, I'd not make a big deal about it. I mean, it's CANDLES....[/quote']

While it's only candles, the problem is that if they can't be trusted with little things, would you want to trust them with more expensive things? I was thinking of buying Tequila in Cozumel on my cruise and am having second thoughts. I've bought scotch from their onboard shop, and it was delivered in the cabin the night before, but will be bringing bubble wrap & packing tape this time - just so we can open it and check to make sure it's ours! Will also throw in some lables & a marker just in case we buy something that needs to be left....but it will be a cheap something...JUST in case!

I have read this thread with interest - especially concerning the liquor that passengers have not received. Is it true that if you buy your liquor the last night in the gift shop that you can take it with you? I am thinking that would be my best option to avoid having my alcohol "lost" by employees. I plan on buying quite a few bottles on my next cruise since we will be driving to the port. I don't want it left in the hallway by our cabin for someone else to take.

REAL Tequilla can only be made in Mexico and only in the state of Jurasco (sp) any other tequilla is a knockoff and isn't even close to the real thing. Mescal can be made from any cactus and tastes close to tequilla but a bit harsher.

Yes, but it is not REAL Tequilla. It is more than likely Mescal. Mexico has a very strict law about what can be called tequilla and it is ONLY made from the blue agave cactus. Perhaps in the usa or other countries they are not so strict. Who really knows.

Whatever.. I have no dog in this fight.

Happy sails:)

Mmmmmm.....Tequila!

CIMG4914.jpg

I have read this thread with interest - especially concerning the liquor that passengers have not received. Is it true that if you buy your liquor the last night in the gift shop that you can take it with you? I am thinking that would be my best option to avoid having my alcohol "lost" by employees. I plan on buying quite a few bottles on my next cruise since we will be driving to the port. I don't want it left in the hallway by our cabin for someone else to take.

Make sure you declare whatever you buy if it's over your personal exemption limit. CCL shares the info on what you buy in their duty-free stores with customs.

Liquor is routinely left in the hallways on all the cruises we've been on.

We have been allowed to take our liquor when purchased on the ship the last night.

If you but liquor on shore put it in a back pack or something and just take it to your room. We've never had a problem with that.

Oh come on G'ma...."big deal">>???

They wanted the candles, they bought the candles...

I seriously doubt you would be so blaise if this happened to YOU

Well, being a rational human being, and with a certain maturity and wisdom that comes with age....and with 45 years of travel....I certainly understand that ship happens....and wouldn't be "blase'" about it. It's better to be proactive.

I, too, would be upset..... However, I wouldn't start thrashing everyone I spoke to, nor would I throw a temper tantrum, nor would I go on a cruise forum and bash everyone from the Captain to the cabin steward.

If OP wants to voice a complaint and have Carnival attend to the matter, there is a way to do it. Stomping ones foot and whining isn't the way.

Submit a copy of the receipt, with a letter to Carnival. That's all that's needed. Follow up with phone calls if necessary...in a rational, adult manner. Gee, how hard is that?

They may find the candles....or not; they may refund her purchase...or not. But, for sure, nothing will be accomplished by copping an attitude.

Plus, the travel insurance I'm sure they purchased, would recover any unreimbursed expenses...including her purchases - which is part of the "baggage" insurance.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the "lecture"......:cool:

I want to thank 'kicia' for answering my question about buying liquor the last night in the gift shop. That was the information I was hoping for!

To 'gtalum' - I was not planning on short-changing anyone on the duty for my extra bottles of liquor. I probably should have stated that in my prior post. This is the first time that we are driving to the port and I want to take advantage of the opportunity to stock the liquor cabinet. I really wanted the large bottle of Bacardi that I saw on the Carnival Valor in April (it was 4 liters!) but knew that I couldn't take it on the plane safely. This is my big chance to buy some liquor that I can't buy in my hometown. I am taking a 22" empty suitcase in preparation for my liquor shopping! I'll gladly pay the duty on whatever we buy.

The "I dont care" attitude is what would upset me the most.

Here is an idea I have used before. You would need to check with a lawyer to be able to execute it. File a SMALL CLAIMS action against the ship. Get a few names of the officers in charge of Security & Purser. Name them in your lawsuit. Probably they will not show up in court & you will get a DEFAULT JUDGEMENT against them. (Be sure & name Carnival Corp & the ship itself as an entity) Now comes the fun part. With a judgement, (And some slick lawyering) get an attachment against the ship for the judgement. So when they dock one time, you will be there with the Marshalls & place a SEIZURE on the ship to satisfy the judgement. Pretty sure they will pony up CASH & lots of it rather quickly.

I have done this before against businesses. The key is to make yourself a THORN in their side.

I hate it when any business has a "I DONT CARE" attitude & mistreats me or anyone else as a customer.

The "I dont care" attitude is what would upset me the most.

Here is an idea I have used before. You would need to check with a lawyer to be able to execute it. File a SMALL CLAIMS action against the ship. Get a few names of the officers in charge of Security & Purser. Name them in your lawsuit. Probably they will not show up in court & you will get a DEFAULT JUDGEMENT against them. (Be sure & name Carnival Corp & the ship itself as an entity) Now comes the fun part. With a judgement, (And some slick lawyering) get an attachment against the ship for the judgement. So when they dock one time, you will be there with the Marshalls & place a SEIZURE on the ship to satisfy the judgement. Pretty sure they will pony up CASH & lots of it rather quickly.

I have done this before against businesses. The key is to make yourself a THORN in their side.

I hate it when any business has a "I DONT CARE" attitude & mistreats me or anyone else as a customer.

Really, you would do all of that over some candles???:eek: Thats rather extreme. Maybe if they had lost a family member I would do all of the above:rolleyes:, but not candles

The passengers have done everything right so far, and the story makes sense. They did not have the candles to return to you, so there was no way they could make it right to your at the terminal.

I know you may be thinking - they could have issued a check for the cost of the lost merchandise, but that may be something they are not authorized to do.

Since the ship personnel have already conceded they did not deliver the merchandise to you, I think it is pretty certain you will get your money back for them. Guest services should have no problem verifying your account and sending you a check for the value of the merchandise.

If you want to attach more value to it than you paid (sentimental value), or want to be compensated for your troubles, you'll have some trouble with that, IMHO.

My suggestion is to make a request in writing for the value of the candles. A phone call is a good start but follow up in writing.

Well' date=' being a rational human being, and with a certain maturity and wisdom that comes with age....and with 45 years of travel....I certainly understand that ship happens....and wouldn't be "blase'" about it. It's better to be proactive.

I, too, would be upset..... However, I wouldn't start thrashing everyone I spoke to, nor would I throw a temper tantrum, nor would I go on a cruise forum and bash everyone from the Captain to the cabin steward.

If OP wants to voice a complaint and have Carnival attend to the matter, there is a way to do it. Stomping ones foot and whining isn't the way.

Submit a copy of the receipt, with a letter to Carnival. That's all that's needed. Follow up with phone calls if necessary...in a rational, adult manner. Gee, how hard is that?

They may find the candles....or not; they may refund her purchase...or not. But, for sure, nothing will be accomplished by copping an attitude.

Plus, the travel insurance I'm sure they purchased, would recover any unreimbursed expenses...including her purchases - which is part of the "baggage" insurance.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the "lecture"......:cool:[/quote']

I clearly missed all of the ranting, raving, trashing, and foot stomping.

Seems to me like the OP voiced a reasonable complaint in a reasonable manner and got nowhere.

Thanks for sharing the story. I will certainly keep your experience in mind if I purchase anything that must be turned over for "safe keeping".

Liquor is routinely left in the hallways on all the cruises we've been on.

We have been allowed to take our liquor when purchased on the ship the last night.

If you but liquor on shore put it in a back pack or something and just take it to your room. We've never had a problem with that.

We tried that on our last Royal Caribbean cruise and when our tote bag went through the x-ray machine, the machine picked up on it. And it was wrapped in bubble wrap:eek:. They asked us to please remove our contents from the tote bag so they can inspect it. At least on this cruiseline we got our Tequila delivered to us. What was nice was that it was brought inside our cabin and placed on our beds. It wasn't left outside our cabin door where any kid could have picked it up and disappear with it.

Ranting and raving isn't going to solve a thing. If you kept the receipt for your purchases, write a letter (not an email) to customer service, enclose a copy of the bill. Write out the events - as they happened - in a calm manner.

They may refund your purchase...or not.....[/quote']

That's not a very nice reply...if it was Carnival's mistake they should make it right and the OP should be upset about it...it was a special purchase, candles or anything else.

I clearly missed all of the ranting, raving, trashing, and foot stomping.

Seems to me like the OP voiced a reasonable complaint in a reasonable manner and got nowhere.

Thanks for sharing the story. I will certainly keep your experience in mind if I purchase anything that must be turned over for "safe keeping".

I agree...it was a rational post, and a good warning to others..

I hope that the OP gets her money back (or the candles)

When we went to Jamaica in September 2008 on the Conquest (Hurricane Ike), we bought four different types of rum from the Appleton Rum Factory. When we got back to the ship, we knew we were supposed to check the alcohol but there was a crowd at the table and we were not going to drink it on the ship, so we just took it back to our room. We had purchased alcohol on the ship, decorative, and that was delivered to our room the Saturday evening before we were supposed to debark. We ended up staying on the ship another two and a half days due to Hurricane Ike but still, they delivered all the alcohol. I can see how mistakes are made but Carnival should own up to the fact that there will be mistakes and they are responsible due to them taking your purchases off of your being. Bad customer relations.

Archived