Confiscated Personal Items NOT Returned!!

kenmel

While disappointing' date=' if it were me, I'd not make a big deal about it. I mean, it's CANDLES....

That's just me, of course.

Ranting and raving isn't going to solve a thing. If you kept the receipt for your purchases, write a letter (not an email) to customer service, enclose a copy of the bill. Write out the events - as they happened - in a calm manner.

They may refund your purchase...or not.....[/quote']

I honestly don't understand why you are always so mean and rude in your responses to people. Are you honestly that unhappy of a person? The point of the post was to ask for help. Not to be verbally abused by you. You seem to do this quite often.

My advice, though, if you know you're going to be purchasing liquor, would be to bring some labels or tags with your name and cabin # written on them in permanent marker and large clear lettering. Take the labels off the ship with you wherever the port is that you plan on buying your liquor. Then, after you make your purchase and before you reboard, slap a label on each bottle (or box, if you buy multiple bottles that come in that handy carrying box) and another label or two on the store bag, so that there's no mistake as to who the owner is.

That is a FABULOUS idea. I know I'll be purchasing some liquor, specifically tequila, and I would hate for it to go missing between the port and final debarkation. I'll have to make some label at work tomorrow!

They have a check-in table set up just a couple of feet from the secuity station with the x-ray machines when you reboard the ship. You are supposed to go through the security checkpoint, then proceed to the table to check in your liquor.

However, (and I am not advocating bypassing the liquor check-in), if you are coming aboard with a large group of people, especially if there are lots of bags, strollers, and children in the group, those couple of feet between security and check-in become a bit of disorganized mess, and no one seems to pay attention on whether you proceed to the check-in table or just keep on walking.

My advice, though, if you know you're going to be purchasing liquor, would be to bring some labels or tags with your name and cabin # written on them in permanent marker and large clear lettering. Take the labels off the ship with you wherever the port is that you plan on buying your liquor. Then, after you make your purchase and before you reboard, slap a label on each bottle (or box, if you buy multiple bottles that come in that handy carrying box) and another label or two on the store bag, so that there's no mistake as to who the owner is.

Thanks Jag! A very informative post, and very good suggestions for if I do check it. Good items since I have never cruised before.

Im not one that lives to break rules, but I will bring my back pack. However if it doesnt pan out, Im going to follow your label tip and be on guest servicesfor the rest of the trip. One of my highlights of th trip is finding some good rum.

I honestly don't understand why you are always so mean and rude in your responses to people. Are you honestly that unhappy of a person? The point of the post was to ask for help. Not to be verbally abused by you. You seem to do this quite often.

Please ignore G'ma - Im sure if it was her polygrip she would thrown a worse fit (despite her wisdom, maturity, and experience) :D

Just about everyone else in the thread understands the OP and the principle of receiving something that they paid for, and was made to entrust carnival with. (Kind of like the posts like the one Jag made to help me out).

I would be upset if something I bought,, that the cruiseline took from me,, was not returned. It does not matter what it is,, it is mine,, not theirs. Simple .

I sure hope cruiselines do not leave booze in hallways,, that sounds incredibly stupid,, it can be stolen easily, and yes,, teens can find it a treat!

Well' date=' being a rational human being, and with a certain maturity and wisdom that comes with age....and with 45 years of travel....I certainly understand that ship happens....and wouldn't be "blase'" about it. It's better to be proactive.

I, too, would be upset..... However, I wouldn't start thrashing everyone I spoke to, nor would I throw a temper tantrum, nor would I go on a cruise forum and bash everyone from the Captain to the cabin steward.

If OP wants to voice a complaint and have Carnival attend to the matter, there is a way to do it. Stomping ones foot and whining isn't the way.

Submit a copy of the receipt, with a letter to Carnival. That's all that's needed. Follow up with phone calls if necessary...in a rational, adult manner. Gee, how hard is that?

They may find the candles....or not; they may refund her purchase...or not. But, for sure, nothing will be accomplished by copping an attitude.

Plus, the travel insurance I'm sure they purchased, would recover any unreimbursed expenses...including her purchases - which is part of the "baggage" insurance.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the "lecture"......:cool:[/quote']

Just an observation.. but don't you think a large majority of your posts are on the "lecturing side"? You were lecturing the OP and to my mind (little as it may be) I did not see raving and ranting or copping an attitude.

I found this thread very informative and it pointed out a Carnival weakness in both the manner in which they deliver merchandise and their handling of complaints.

It also drove home how many CCers are just waiting to poke holes or attack other posters.

I would be upset if something I bought,, that the cruiseline took from me,, was not returned. It does not matter what it is,, it is mine,, not theirs. Simple .

I sure hope cruiselines do not leave booze in hallways,, that sounds incredibly stupid,, it can be stolen easily, and yes,, teens can find it a treat!

Our room steward has always brought the liquor into our room and left

it when making up our room on the last nite.

Some people may think they possess the "maturity and wisdom" that

comes with age. However it comes across as snooty preaching from

a very high horse.

While disappointing' date=' if it were me, I'd not make a big deal about it. I mean, it's CANDLES....

That's just me, of course.

Ranting and raving isn't going to solve a thing. If you kept the receipt for your purchases, write a letter (not an email) to customer service, enclose a copy of the bill. Write out the events - as they happened - in a calm manner.

They may refund your purchase...or not.....[/quote']

you always amaze me with your attitudes lol....so they were just candles to you.....

but hey, it's only walkie talkie noise to the next person...lol...always so condiscending....and i've always wanted to tell you that after reading your posts where you take a "dig" at everyone....so now i just took one at you...

if getting old makes me behave ugly like you, and working in the travel industry, i hope and pray i die young. Dear God, please don't let me be a mean, rude old lady!

the op asked for suggestions, not your opinions on what you think the value of them are! geesh...you are an old grandma! maybe you need to go knit!

O.P.

i hope you get it resolved and let us know.

Candles can be bought anywhere, and I don't understand why anyone would buys candles on a cruise. I can see purchasing specialized alcohol that cannot be purchased state side, and having it confiscated. But let's deal with the candles. You just gave a valuable lesson to the rest of us...don't purchase stuff like that that you can get in your own hometown. Same with jewelry. I have found that the best deals are not on cruises, but in your own shopping malls at home. Silver is one of them.

you always amaze me with your attitudes lol....so they were just candles to you.....

but hey, it's only walkie talkie noise to the next person...lol...always so condiscending....and i've always wanted to tell you that after reading your posts where you take a "dig" at everyone....so now i just took one at you...

if getting old makes me behave ugly like you, and working in the travel industry, i hope and pray i die young. Dear God, please don't let me be a mean, rude old lady!

the op asked for suggestions, not your opinions on what you think the value of them are! geesh...you are an old grandma! maybe you need to go knit!

O.P.

i hope you get it resolved and let us know.

:eek:

There must be a way to express disapproval of a post, without sinking to this level. You comment on G'ma being a mean, rude old lady. Your post takes mean and rude to warp 7.

On our last cruise, teens were hanging out in our hall, either to wait for liquor to arrive (it had been delivered when our steward was making up our cabin, so placed safely inside) or waiting for the baggage to be placed in the halls, ready to be raided. Mom went out & asked them what they were doing (they gave the excuse that they were looking for friends, but couldn't give the name or cabin #) & she finally scared them away. We didn't put anything out until we heard the luggage being taken off the floor, then blocked the door open so we could keep an eye on the luggage.

Candles can be bought anywhere, and I don't understand why anyone would buys candles on a cruise. I can see purchasing specialized alcohol that cannot be purchased state side, and having it confiscated. But let's deal with the candles. You just gave a valuable lesson to the rest of us...don't purchase stuff like that that you can get in your own hometown. Same with jewelry. I have found that the best deals are not on cruises, but in your own shopping malls at home. Silver is one of them.

jaye,

first off, that is not the point of the post! one should be able to purchase whatever wherever and expect it to be returned.

and what is good for you may not be good for anyone else...geesh, some people on these boards amaze me!

who cares if it was candles, diamond earings, a can of snuff, or a fingernail file. the point is, the o.p. purchased something....and it was not returned. she/he thought it valuable enough to purchase it. maybe she could buy the candles at home...maybe not. THAT IS NOT THE POINT!

To the OP,

Write a comment on John Heald's blog and he will have one of the VIP's call you and take care of it. He has done this for many people that have had problems of one kind or another with Carnival. Here is his link.

http://johnhealdsblog.com/

Good luck and please keep us informed as to what the outcome is.

:eek:

There must be a way to express disapproval of a post, without sinking to this level. You comment on G'ma being a mean, rude old lady. Your post takes mean and rude to warp 7.

YEP, SURE DOES!

i don't think there is a way to express disapproval to certain people on these boards...regardless of the way it's written. sometimes the truth hurts. and this particular person is always "dogging" on everyone and putting her two cents holier than thou p.o.v. to many comments and is just plane rude. so yes, i have finally sunk to gma's level lol....

just because you are old or older, doesn't give you a right to be rude.

The "I dont care" attitude is what would upset me the most.

Here is an idea I have used before. You would need to check with a lawyer to be able to execute it. File a SMALL CLAIMS action against the ship. Get a few names of the officers in charge of Security & Purser. Name them in your lawsuit. Probably they will not show up in court & you will get a DEFAULT JUDGEMENT against them. (Be sure & name Carnival Corp & the ship itself as an entity) Now comes the fun part. With a judgement, (And some slick lawyering) get an attachment against the ship for the judgement. So when they dock one time, you will be there with the Marshalls & place a SEIZURE on the ship to satisfy the judgement. Pretty sure they will pony up CASH & lots of it rather quickly.

I have done this before against businesses. The key is to make yourself a THORN in their side.

I hate it when any business has a "I DONT CARE" attitude & mistreats me or anyone else as a customer.

Well, OP would have to do all this in Florida....as stated in the passenger contract to which OP agreed when she booked the cruise.... Sometimes you have to pick your battles.

© Except as provided in Clause 12 (d) below, it is agreed by and between the Guest and Carnival that all disputes and matters whatsoever arising under, in connection with or incident to this Contract or the Guest’s cruise, including travel to and from the vessel, shall be litigated, if at all, before the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida in Miami, or as to those lawsuits to which the Federal Courts of the United States lack subject matter jurisdiction, before a court located in Miami-Dade County, Florida, U.S.A. to the exclusion of the Courts of any other county, state or country.

That's not a very nice reply...if it was Carnival's mistake they should make it right and the OP should be upset about it...it was a special purchase, candles or anything else.

There is a way to handle this type of thing.....

For crying out loud, write a letter, enclose the receipt, give a brief description of the events, send it off...wait for a reply...follow up with a phone call, if needed.

Submit a claim with the travel insurance company.....it covers baggage.

Honestly? Sometimes ship happens, sometimes things get lost, sometimes baggage is misdirected, stolen, sent to outer space. Nobody likes it. But, it's not some conspiracy perpetrated by a bunch of uncaring "I don't care" Carnival employees. That's just nonsense.

And, I don't understand why, despite community guidelines, some folks still think it's perfectly fine to post personal characterizations and opinions about other posters. Disagree? Fine. Your personal opinion of my character? Not permitted...so, please back off.

Please ignore G'ma - Im sure if it was her polygrip she would thrown a worse fit (despite her wisdom, maturity, and experience) :D

If anyone wishes to "ignore" G'ma, there is a way to do that......bashing is not one of those ways.

If anyone wishes to recover a lost item on a cruise ship, there's a way to do that also......threatening lawsuits, claiming a vast "baggage handling" conspiracy by thieving cruises ship employees is not one of those ways.

Everyone has choices......:D

[/color]

Our room steward has always brought the liquor into our room and left

it when making up our room on the last nite.

Some people may think they possess the "maturity and wisdom" that

comes with age. However it comes across as snooty preaching from

a very high horse.

High-Horse-Sicangu-1900.jpg High-Horse-Sicangu-1900.jpg

Preaching? Maybe. Snooty? Never.....it's in the "eye of the beholder" isn't it.

Common sense has usually prevailed......having hysterics about lost or misplaced items rarely does.

Insulting everyone from the cabin steward to the crew to the pierside employees and accusing them of some sort of conspiratorical actions to deprive one of their possessions is not common sense.

Similar situation, purchased 2 bottles of Irish Cream - always keep the receipts - last night, no liquor. Took receipt down to the store, the attendant checked the log, mumbled something about a computer problem - than packaged up my Irish Cream with an apology.

I learned my lesson several cruises ago about keeping receipts and checking the final sail & sign bill. Was overcharged approximately $150 (double charge from the spa and a liquor charge from a dinning room in which we never ate in). My PVP put me in touch with the right department and the issue was resolved.:)

That is like if you buy alcohol in an island or on the ship. It is delivered on the last night outside our cabin door. What is to stop someone from picking it up and drinking or taking it home. It would be very easy for a teen to just walk by and get into it. If they want to deliver things to your cabin on the last night. It should be done so that the stewards are around and can put into the cabins.

Mine was in my cabin not outside in the hallway. The steward delivers to the room.

They are not paid enough to think as they do things according to their rules and regs.! They do things according to protocol...think about it.

Who, exactly, made her Schlep? Bad son!

REAL Tequilla can only be made in Mexico and only in the state of Jurasco (sp) any other tequilla is a knockoff and isn't even close to the real thing. Mescal can be made from any cactus and tastes close to tequilla but a bit harsher.

Yes, but it is not REAL Tequilla. It is more than likely Mescal. Mexico has a very strict law about what can be called tequilla and it is ONLY made from the blue agave cactus. Perhaps in the usa or other countries they are not so strict. Who really knows.

Whatever.. I have no dog in this fight.

Happy sails:)

Yes...just like Champagne...you can't call it champagne unless it's made in Champagne. Same as Tequila...you can't call it Tequila if it's made outside the region Jurasco. That's what I've heard. I make wine and read it somewhere in a wine making magazine.

That is awesome advice! I never thought of that! Thanks so much and Happy Cruising!

I think you are missing the point. The OP bought something that Carnival promised to return and they didnt. It doesn't matter if it was candles or alcohol. Just because you don't believe candles are important doesn't mean it is any less valuable to the OP than specialized alcohol is for you. Carnival does need to get better with how they handle their customer's property. Last cruise after waiting all day to receive my suitcase the first day of the cruise, I went down to the pursers desk 2 times after calling several times and being assured my bag would be delivered. While waiting me and my sis decided to explore the ship. Low and behold I found my bag in a hallway 3 floors up. Granted this only happened on 1 out of 11 cruises I have taken but I would still have been in a world of hurt if I hadn't found my bag.

I bought a very small amount of alcohol in cozumel and nothing was ever said to me in security, i just left it in the sack it came in and sent it through. I think they didnt say anything because it was not more than 4 ounces. Or it could have been they were too busy questioning me as to why i couldnt go through the metal detector. I remember his words exactly what are you pregnant or something. My response no i have a pacemaker. He said oh your so young, by then my parents had gotten my bags and were waiting for me in the lobby. Luckily this wasnt carnival.

As far as things being confiscated. On our last cruise a lady in our group who has back problems didnt bring a cane with her so she decided to buy one in new orleans in case she needed it. Well she found this neat wood cane, the next morning in security they take it from her and pull her aside. They quetioned her where she got it etc. It had a sword in it the length of the cane when you unscrew the stopper. Acouple teenage boys in our group tell her oh you've never seen those before. Her cane was confiscated and she was told she could get it when we got back. They had it available and she let these teenage boys take it b/c she was flying she couldnt have flown with it anyways. She was able to get a nice woodcarved cane in cozumel, too bad that was the 4th day of our 5 day cruise.

Archived