Balls Listed in Cruise Documents?

Marie50

Can someone briefly explain what the Black and White Ball, the Buccaneer Ball, Thanksgiving Ball and Grand Masked Ball's are all about? Feels quite formal..... First time QM cruiser so just wondering.

There is a simple answer and a more concerning answer here.

The first is that they are all themed balls with suggested dress codes to which you may subscribe. The balls centre on the Queens Room and are generally on formal evenings. Whether or not you choose to dress according to the theme, you will enjoy the evening.

The more worrying aspect is that your choice of title is likely to attract the attention of a certain anatomically deficient orange cat.

:)

Welcome to the world of Cunard! Your post tells me you're likely on a cruise, rather than on a crossing, so the Buccaneer Ball will likely be a less formal affair. The other three would be held during a "formal" night, where Cunard suggests Black tie for the gentlemen and appropriate counterpart for the ladies.

Essentially, what happens is that the Queens Room is sporting ad hoc decorations and provides a lovely gathering place for a few hours' entertainment. From experience, the masked passengers parade around the dance floor at a given signal from the Cruise Director for the Masked Ball, everyone is encouraged to wear black and/or white attire for the similarly named evening, and heaven forbid what one will come up with at Thanksgiving... Quite frankly, since they take place on formal night, unless you are inclined to go all out dress-wise, I'd stick to formal dress, and plan on spending at most two hours in the Quees Room enjoying the spectacle.

Hopefully this addresses your question, but feel free to ask--we've all been first-timers, and most of us are now addicted... If you have the time, you may also wish to use the "search" feature--lots of info on this board. Be warned, however, that after about ten posts we tend to drift ... just ... a ... wee ... bit... ;) And I see that Thranite just COULDN'T WAIT!!!

Hopefully this addresses your question, but feel free to ask--we've all been first-timers, and most of us are now addicted... If you have the time, you may also wish to use the "search" feature--lots of info on this board. Be warned, however, that after about ten posts we tend to drift ... just ... a ... wee ... bit... ;) And I see that Thranite just COULDN'T WAIT!!!

Absolutely correct on all counts. Please forgive me; the temptation was too great. I also forgot to welcome you to the Cunard fraternity. You will become addicted just as we are.

:)

Can someone briefly explain what the Black and White Ball, the Buccaneer Ball, Thanksgiving Ball and Grand Masked Ball's are all about? Feels quite formal..... First time QM cruiser so just wondering.

Marie, it's a lot less tricky than it sounds. If you want to dress according to the theme and join in the fun then you can. If you don't want to, then just follow the appropriate dress code for the evening and enjoy yourself as you see fit. The choice is entirely yours. On the cruises I've been on I would have to say that only relatively few passengers seemed to dress according to the theme for the particular ball - although they all complied with the dress code for the evening.

Welcome to the Cunard board by the way; and don't worry if a rather strange sounding orange cat turns up in a few minutes attracted by the subject of your thread. If you stick around long enough you will get used to his presence here. Just resist any tempting business propositions that he may throw in your direction, such as selling you Buckingham Palace at a very attractive price.

From your question Marie50 it sounds like we are on the same cruise - the Nov 17th Southern Caribbean. I haven't received any cruise documents yet (maybe things happen more slowly for those of us in Canada). If we are on the same cruise, did your documents tell you the total number of formal and semi-formal nights and when each would take place? Like you, this will be my first QM2 adventure so I'm trying to figure it all out. The info I've receivd from CC has been terrific! I hope you enjoy your exchanges here too.

From your question Marie50 it sounds like we are on the same cruise - the Nov 17th Southern Caribbean. I haven't received any cruise documents yet (maybe things happen more slowly for those of us in Canada). If we are on the same cruise, did your documents tell you the total number of formal and semi-formal nights and when each would take place? Like you, this will be my first QM2 adventure so I'm trying to figure it all out. The info I've receivd from CC has been terrific! I hope you enjoy your exchanges here too.

Yes that is the correct cruise. We are quite excited. Very nice personalized pre-voyage documentation. There are 5 formal nights, 3 semi-formal, and 5 Elegant Casual nights.

I do not know how is can correct this obvious "Title Error". Even if I re-phrased it to say "Formal Balls", that is no better. Excuse me please....and just have a good chuckle.

You started with that title on the Roll Call threads. :D

I do not know how is can correct this obvious "Title Error". Even if I re-phrased it to say "Formal Balls", that is no better. Excuse me please....and just have a good chuckle.

Chuckles are what we do around here. And don't worry about the balls - you'll have a ball, now that you've set the ball rolling.

J

The only thing I would add, is that on our crossing, the black and white ball was the first formal and, although we didn't go to the ballroom, the majority of women were wearing black and fewer in cream or white- that is most people stuck to the theme. I would say that was the most formal - it was also the Commodore's welcoming party for Britannia diners and it did seem as though everyone had made an effort - it was quite a grand evening:D

Due to weight restrictions on flights, many passengers stay with the Dress Code of the evening rather than taking "costumes" to fit the theme. Also the Theme is usually only decorations in the Queens Room, not the dining rooms or main public areas.

Black and White, I wear Black dress, white stole and pearls, Ascot usualy a chiffon type gown. Buccaneers I stick to Dress code, and same with something like Thanksgiving.

Caribbean night usually casual I wear a rather gaudy flowered Island type dress.

One warning. The information in the documents is not always 100% accurate, so I often find I either "Bling up" a dress or "Dress it down" by varying jewellery and stoles when they switch numbers of Formal and Semi Formal nights.

Are you on the Roll call for this cruise?Iif not do go over and join , we plan to meet for an casual meet, greet and mingle in the Commodore Room at 2p.m Nov 18th.

I am overnighting at the Hilton in New York, are you doing that or joining the ship on the day?

Lynn

Archived