cruise stock prices going up & up!

CanWeGoYet?

I've been following CCL and RCL stock prices, every week it seems like CCL goes up a dollar or two. CCL opened above 34 today, and RCL hit a high today of 25.02. What is going on! I thought we were still in an economic downturn. :confused:

I managed to pick up 100 shares of rcl back when it was around 6.50 a share - wish I had done the same with carnival. Either the manager of my retirement fund or the company itself boluxed up a transfer to a company with no maintenance fees for IRAs - it went through but not before stock prices climbed another few dollars. Excellent timing. :rolleyes: I bit the bullet and bought the CCL shares - now I just hope the bottom doesn't drop out of the share price. And that they keep up the shareholder benefit program.

Thanks, I figured it was such a great deal I couldn't pass it by. With a 14 day cruise booked, I would get back $250 in OBC right off the bat. Even if the stock tanked & they pulled the shareholder credit for future - worst I could be out was around $400.

The CCL stock I picked up today I bought at a much higher price than I had hoped for. Guess time will tell if this was a huge mistake.

I hear what you are saying. I wanted to buy when I saw RCCL stock in the $5.00 range, but dh talked me out of it.:( We invested in a safer stock. NowI could kick myself "you know where" Told dh next time let me do my thing!

Tink360 - you can't go wrong by owning both stocks. Whether you are an avid RCL, Azamara, Celebrity, Carnival, Princess, Holland, P&O, etc. fan - you pretty much have free reign among the mass market lines for getting OBC. (NCL will be the exception since it is privately owned and Disney has their own stock) We have held CCL stock for some time but we have bought and sold RCL several times. We recently bought back in and it has not disappointed us.

Remember the secret. Buy low and sell high.

Keith

So True Keith! We sold half our RCI shares yesterday which we bought when they were low (except for the first 100) .:D

Made some money overall and still have half (400) left.

Kathy

I hear what you are saying. I wanted to buy when I saw RCCL stock in the $5.00 range, but dh talked me out of it.:( We invested in a safer stock. NowI could kick myself "you know where" Told dh next time let me do my thing!

I kept telling my husband I wanted to buy it then too and he kept telling me the same thing. NO.

Well, now he realizes I was right. :rolleyes: Too late now.

I should have done it and not said a word. Dummy me. :o

I kept telling my husband I wanted to buy it then too and he kept telling me the same thing. NO.

Well, now he realizes I was right. :rolleyes: Too late now.

I should have done it and not said a word. Dummy me. :o

Keep watching the share price, it may take a while but in time it will drop again. That or consider getting it if you want the onboard credit for your back to backs. Looks like you cruise a lot with RCL, you don't necessarily need to lay out cash. Ask your retirement fund manager about how to transfer enough funds to cover the purchase of 100 shares of RCL. I chose to roll it over to another company that didn't have any yearly maintenance fees for IRAs. If it is a roll over of funds within the specified time frame (I believe you have 60 days but check with a professional) you are not hit with any withdrawal penalty. This is one way to make the purchase without an outlay of cash, and from my retirement portfolio I don't think RCL or Carnival will perform any worse than the poor performers I had sitting around bleeding $.

If you do a direct IRA Rollover (from your current administrator to a new one), there is no tax liability.

If you have the check made payable to you from your current administrator, you have 60 days to deposit it win a new IRA. If you don't, then it is a withdrawal and subject to income tax and, maybe, a 10% penalty for a premature withdrawal.

My financial advisor told me not to invest in travel and leisure when we spoke in early Jan. However, I saw the RCI stock go down and went onto sharebuilder.com, and put in an order to buy when it went to 6.32. Good thing I did...wish I would have been able to buy more shares at that time!

My financial advisor told me not to invest in travel and leisure when we spoke in early Jan. However, I saw the RCI stock go down and went onto sharebuilder.com, and put in an order to buy when it went to 6.32. Good thing I did...wish I would have been able to buy more shares at that time!

CCL & RCCL stock have additional benefits beyond those of other stocks. I bought Carnival Corp, earlier this year and have gotten $750 in OBC. With the stock up about $800, I am up about 70%.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
How long has CCL been doing OBC? I have RCL stock and have used that. I didn't know CCL had the same program.

I'm not sure exactly how long CCL has been offering OBC, but it has been a number a years. Up until this year, they also paid dividends. I find the CCL stock a better value than RCL's because it is less restrictive. RCL is making it very difficult to combine specials/promos when applying for stockholder credit, too. CCL does not have this restriction.

How far in advance of your cruise do you have to purchase the 100 shares in order to get the OBC?

You have to send them a copy of your share certificate and it needs to be approved before sailing also it is not combinable with certain other discounts. Best bet is to send them an email.

We email our request along with a copy of our most recent share certificate (brokers statement).

Hope this helps.

Kathy:)

• 3 weeks later...
You must submit your brokerage statement AFTER final payment but prior to sailing.

Thats all fine except if you use online brokers, you can't get a statement:( My online brokr has to send an email to CCL each time I cruise:D Worth it though, my OBC equates to around 18% return each year and when CCL start issuing dividends again all the better. They stopped issuing dividends about this time last year and the shares dropped. They may well be on the way back up because the year is over and the dividends will begin again.

How far in advance of your cruise do you have to purchase the 100 shares in order to get the OBC?

One person in our group faxed his proof of ownership (brokerage statement showing his shares) from Venice, Italy the day before we boarded the Splendor in Civitavecchia.

This is a bit of an extreme example and I would recommend a little more time cushion, but there is no cutoff time spelled out in the arrangement. Nor is it necessary to wait until Final Payment to claim the benefit. Note this from the Carnival site....

"Please provide your name, reservation number, ship and sailing date, along with proof of ownership of Carnival Corporation or Carnival plc shares (i.e., photocopy of

shareholder proxy card, shares certificate or a current brokerage or nominee statement) and the initial deposit to your travel agent or to the cruise line you have selected."

Archived